Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

After every ride. The chain is not that new anymore. At least a couple of months. Going home today to clean it and minor lube and check over. Will take pics of it and maybe you will see something I have missed. I clean the chain regularly and lube it with automatic transmission fluid (ATF)

Yeah sounds like Ryanpmb may have hit it bang on the money :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance you could post me a picture of your improved tensioning? I am not 100% with you!! Thanks. Yes I am using a tensioner to pull the chain though.

PM'd...

Question... I am running a 34 front and a 20 rear. Using a bmx chain so it is pretty strong, however I seem to be tensioning the chain pretty often. Does this sound correct? I ride the bike almost daily in Tokai and on TM. It seems I am tensioning it too often but I can't run the chain with slack or it comes off.

Anything I am missing here?

I am also running 34/20 on Laranja, have had major issues with chain jumping off (and some injuries). Have H-drops, no tensioner, using 8sp chain, . Basically I kept tensioning to a point where the chain is almost too tight, having much less issues. You have to keep in mind that running 34/20 uses more chain than 32/18 which theoretically will mean more "flexibility" in the chain as a whole... I like the chainring I have that's why I am running 34/20, but I can promise you that I am going back to 32/18 or 32/17 as soon as the chainring is done with. See pics in next post.

... You have to keep in mind that running 34/20 uses more chain than 32/18 which theoretically will mean more "flexibility" in the chain as a whole...

Not sure I agree with this... With a bigger sprocket and chainring you have better wrap and the chain will sit on more teeth - potentially meaning less issues... Sounds to me your problem lies in worn or incorrect components (sprocket, chain or chainring...)

Not sure I agree with this... With a bigger sprocket and chainring you have better wrap and the chain will sit on more teeth - potentially meaning less issues... Sounds to me your problem lies in worn or incorrect components (sprocket, chain or chainring...)

Also Chain alignment

LARANJA

after somewhat of a makeover, new wheels, new tires (2.35 + 2.1), new brakes, new mud guard, and some appropriate motivational stickers. Also went a bit West Rand on myself and sprayed the chain CHROME - will see how that works out and how long it lasts... might need to get a gold chain and wear it over a hairy chest with an open shirt...

post-1812-0-95779900-1378443795_thumb.jpeg

post-1812-0-91321000-1378443810_thumb.jpeg

post-1812-0-52398400-1378443916_thumb.jpeg

I agree that potentially there will be more wrap, but the chain will in total lenght be able to stretch more due to having more links thus requiring more regular adjustment/tensioning...

Also Chain alignment

sorted out alignment LOOOOOOONNGG AGO ;)

So I put a brand new chain on and have ordered a on-one chain tensioner. I will also be getting a new 36 front blade today and will post back. I bought a "giant" 7/8 speed chain. It says on the box that it can also be used for single speeds so will see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice here. I will let you know once it has been tested.

:blink:

36!!!!! Wow

I agree that potentially there will be more wrap, but the chain will in total lenght be able to stretch more due to having more links thus requiring more regular adjustment/tensioning...

Actually bigger sprockets and chainrings will actually reduce the wear. The reason being that the teeth of the sprockets & chainrings and the link of the chain see less of each (individually that is)

LARANJA

after somewhat of a makeover, new wheels, new tires (2.35 + 2.1), new brakes, new mud guard, and some appropriate motivational stickers. Also went a bit West Rand on myself and sprayed the chain CHROME - will see how that works out and how long it lasts... might need to get a gold chain and wear it over a hairy chest with an open shirt...

post-1812-0-95779900-1378443795_thumb.jpeg

post-1812-0-91321000-1378443810_thumb.jpeg

post-1812-0-52398400-1378443916_thumb.jpeg

Sometimes I'm still sorry I sold Big Orange...