Doing it wrong...

Marlon

Mmm, I have loved "cycling" for ages, never been topfit, but enjoy it everytime. I don't drool myself wet when I go into the lbs, but I love what i see. I never entered a race, and I don't have gatskuur expensive equipment either. I like MTB, but I hardly ever go to the 'trails'... Instead you'll find me and my riding buddy/ies crossing the local valley, riding next to the rail lines and at the camping spots we camp at. Our/MY idea of a fun ride is to go from point A to B no matter what, sand, tar, field, gravel, water, etc.

I don't even think I look very 'cycly' in my riding shorts (which is really just Mr Price shorts I spent lots of time on finding ones that will work great for riding my bike), and I have a (probably cheap) R300 helmet(passing all safety standards btw :P)...

Then I found the hub, and joined, and the question poses itself...

1. either this is a "professionals" only forum

2. I stick out like a sore thumb, and look like an idiot :(

Sure I am trying, and would love to get fit to a level where I can do my trips without getting tired, and no, I don't care what others think...

But I am curious, and would like to know if you guys see people like me frequently and say "what a retard lol" or not, because it would help to know. I know I do that often while driving my car and cyclists swerving in front of me, or not looking for traffic when they cross offramps...

I suppose this post is a means of trying to gain a better understanding and respect for the disciplines involved.

Thanks

Marlon

There are many guys and girls here that are in no ways close to the pro look.I carry a few spare kilo's for winter and people are surprised when i ride with them in the forest and keep up.

Don't worry about the look,just smile when you pass the guy on his R60k bike ;)

1. either this is a "professionals" only forum

2. I stick out like a sore thumb, and look like an idiot :(

But I am curious, and would like to know if you guys see people like me frequently and say "what a retard lol" or not, because it would help to know.

hi there M

there's lots of slower people on the hub :)

if you have a big grin on your face when i see you - i'll smile right back and think 'wow, he's really enjoying his ride'

and if it's a frown i would wonder what you're doing on the bike if you don't enjoy it.

if it's a particularly pretty bike that you riding, i might drool a bit about it - but otherwise what you wear & ride don't matter; the enjoyment that you get out of it does.

A lot of the fun of cycling consists of mild self-deprecation around such lofty subjects as:

• Should I save my legs?
  • Should my tyres be colour coded with my bike?
  • Are a white cycling pant socially acceptable?
  • What is the optimum length for my cycling socks?
  • My bike has Campagnolo, my friend's bike has Shimano. Do I need to actively shun him, or is it enough if I just ignore him?
  • When riding with hayfever, should I carry a silk handkerchief or should I perfect the art of the snot rocket?
  • When is it OK to admit that I struggled up a hill?

Of course, the last one is a fake - it's never OK to admit to the hurting.

Almost everybody, maybe absolutely everybody who posts on the Hub rides their bike purely for fun. Don't take any of it too seriously.

marlon, if anyone judges you (and unfortunately some will) on the fact that you don't ride a top-end bike and top-end helmet etc etc yadda yadda then it's their loss. sure, i often joke about "it's not about how fast you go but how good you look going slow". end of the day though, it's all about whether you are enjoying your bike and there will always be a few people here who will ignore certain rabble rousers and help out if you have any questions or need help of any sort.

Marlon. Welcome and have fun. Just check that you wear your R300 helmet the correct way around. Saw a guy last week wearing his back to front. That does make you look funny and like a bit of a dork.

In SA MTB the trend has been to try and emulate the pros, that's why you nowadays see all the "sponsored" lycra, weight weeny bikes and roadie (rude-ie) attitudes on the trails . This probably came about because of our unusual addiction to stage races like the Cape Epic. Luckily the pendulum is swinging back again and there is a growing movement to "just ride". This is for much more relaxed types that have grown out of, or never bothered with the one dimensional "race" only mindset. Already there are several organized "rides" as opposed to "races" on the calender, but more and more people just do their own thing. This also mean you can wear whatever you want and look however you want and give the mostly pretend-racing-snakes the middle finger if you want.

Ey not all roadies are dicks. I always greet other riders. Not that much effort for me to raise my hand and greet another rider. But what I do find is mtbers don't always greet back. Shock maybe?

I have just started the sport, i dont have the best gear and i do my own thing. If you worry about others all the time it will get you down. I took it up to get outdoors more, lose weight, get fit and to enjoy life instead of sitting in front of a tv or pc. Enjoy the sport!

I ride a bike that my friends call an ice-cream bike, no front suspension and no gears, I get mocked all the time, but luckily I don't care.

I dont think MTB'r are very judgmental. A great example is:

At this years Sabie Classic I was about 20km into the ride (marathon) and was going at the same speed as two other okes. I could hear them chat. A that moment an older gent (about 55 to 60 years) came past us on his 19... bike, no suspension (not even the fork), cheepie helmet and tekkies on flat pedals. The one oke next to me said to his buddy 'Now that is respect!' whilst pointing to the older gent.

Remember that once you have transended your own ego you will embrace the minimalist view:

Ride a single speed.

Ride naked as often as possible.

Ride at night.

Steel is the best material to build bikes with, so get a steel bike (at least one)

Ride with a helmet (on your head).

Wear sunscreen except when riding naked at night then it is optional.

All cyclists have at least 4 bikes, if you don't you not a cyclist.

Build a clunker out of spare parts, most of which you have borrowed, stolen, dug out of the LBS trashcans or been given as a gift. Loan it to newbies as often as possible.

Never wear underpants with cycling shorts or trisuits. Just don't ask why.