AARTO cycle laws

chris_w_65

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever break laws - please read PDF

• Yes, I am a law breaker
    • No, I am 100% law abiding
    • I never ride on the road, I don't even cross roads on my bike

Is this ok? Am I legal now?

Remember the old days, it couldn't just be any reflector, it had to be an SABS approved reflector. Some guy made a lot of cash out of those old reflectors.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's next - number plates for cycles so that they can enforce these regs?wink.gif

Whats wrong with that? They do it in China!!!

Many have forgotten thos bicycle permits we had to put on our bikes a while back.

And please take note, it is illegal to stand and pedal

Failed to be seated astride

on the saddle of a pedal

cycle when he or she was

riding a pedal cycle

Yep - no 'getting out of the saddle to climb' - us 'grinders' are going to win races in future :clap:

I've got white reflective tape on my rear stays, and on the sides of my fork. Around the head tube and seatpost is yellow reflective tape. I've also got yellow reflective strips on the back of my pedals. Been like that for at least three years now.

All done in the sake of self preservation.

Edited by Wannabe

Okay, just scanned through…but didn't see anything about riding under the influence :unsure:

:clap: , under the influence of what exactly ?

I've got white reflective tape on my rear stays, and on the sides of my fork. Around the head tube and seatpost is yellow reflective tape. I've also got yellow reflective strips on the back of my pedals. Been like that for at least three years now.

Thats my only concern. I commute with my lights on during the day - makes a difference when I don't. Also when taking little Hubber for a sping in his chair, I'm then ubber safety-Nazi. Always wear my hi-viz jacket when kids are with me.

:clap: , under the influence of what exactly ?

Alcohol and narcotics are a problem (if a cycle can be classified as a vehicle) but I see nothing about clenbuterol

Chris W, what are you after with the thread? Finding out how many people break the law, or finding out how many people break the law and ask others not to ?

I think it is suposed to be white on the front and red on the back. Yellow is for the sides

'5406 Reg. 330(g) - Used a pedal cycle to tow another vehicle on a public road.'

Yes - when my car broke down I took the bike off the roof and used the granny gear to tow the car all the way home.

WTF: did someone really tow something meaningful with a bike? Or are they looking to punish people who have a cycle trailer for their kid (purpose made for a bicyles)

Chris W, what are you after with the thread? Finding out how many people break the law, or finding out how many people break the law and ask others not to ?

Trying to find out if the people who say they don't break laws are telling the truth are really not. All laws are equal.

Also just putting the laws out there for everyone

Edited by chris_w_65

As far as I am concerned, if there are 9 pages of rules then there should be a written licence for bicycles. If you get caught transgressing one of these rules you apparently can't say you didn't know, ignorance is no excuse

Edited by chris_w_65

Trying to find out if the people who say they don't break laws are telling the truth are really not. All laws are equal.

And you should know by now, EVERYONE LIES! So whats the point! <_<

Personally I think this is all a bit silly. Trying to "out" people for not obeying some conflicting/down right stupid laws is as bad as the "everyone breaks the law so we should all just regard the law" type attitude.

The answer (as everyone already knows) is somewhere in the middle - where that middle is is down to personal morals and ethics.

Given that everyone on the hub can type and owns a computer I'd bet that most of us/them obey the law where it makes sense and conduct themselves in a decent manner the majority of the time.

Argument by "exception makes the rule" is such a weird internet phenomenon...

IMo your motivation should have been your second point.