Futurelife Cereal

Homemade version of Bircher's muesli - someone posted the recipe here before, tried it and never looked back (thanks whoever that was!!). Here goes again to save you the effort of searching:

- 1 cup of raw oats (Jet Jungle's dandruff)

- 1/2 cup of 100% apple juice

- 1/2 cup of Bulgarian yoghurt

- 5ml (at least) cinnamon

- 1 med/large grated apple

- I add a small handful of Goji berries too

Mix it all up the night before, put in a sealed container and put in the fridge. Next morning add a handful of crushed almonds and more grated apple if you wish. I normally add a bit more apple juice in the morning as it's a bit stodgy without.

Really works for me

PS. This is a lotta food to eat, so scale down the measurements a bit if you're a small guy.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told to eat mostly potatoes in stead of pasta, is this true ?

Josh,

You are asking 50 questions a minute here! :w00t:

Some riders thrive on pasta for carbo load.

Some on sweet patat.

Some on potatoe.

Some believe in bread with banana and peanut butter only.

Every body is different. Unique.

So, you have to try and test various formulas and recipes. THEN SEE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...

Testing takes time and through experience.

Josh,

You are asking 50 questions a minute here! :w00t:

Some riders thrive on pasta for carbo load.

Some on sweet patat.

Some on potatoe.

Some believe in bread with banana and peanut butter only.

Every body is different. Unique.

So, you have to try and test various formulas and recipes. THEN SEE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...

Testing takes time and through experience.

sorry :whistling: I recently discovered the hub, its amazing!!!!. got pre race nerves though :blush:

sorry :whistling: I recently discovered the hub, its amazing!!!!. got pre race nerves though :blush:

This is what this cycling forum is for.

IMPORTANT: Do a search on topics / items BEFORE you open a new thread. There is a whole opinion base saved under threads like "Fitness & Nutrition", "Tech..."

Never eat anything different before an event.

Train on the food you intend to race on.

One of the golden rules...

Oom is right, don't try anything different, don't eat too much, drink plenty of water from Thursday and make sure you get a good night's sleep on Friday night. Chances are you won't on Saturday night.

Yip.

Agreed. PPC cement indeed.

Eat well days before a race you really wanna do well in.

Remember, there is no miracle breakfast.

Futurelife is good. Low GI.

Toast with peanut butter also good. Low GI broodjie.

Half a cuppa coffee for zing. Not too much as you might wanna pee pee...

Wheetbix, with a peanutbutter, honey, bannana smoothy, all the good stuff you need.

Now, I eat future life every morning and have no issues - 5 25ml scoops and do not have that concrete effect.

Agree with most, stick to what you normally do pre-race. Approach this race as you would any other. This race is like any other race. It's just the mass hype that makes it different.

Cancel the hype and you have a great race with full road closure (YAY!) and a scenic route to boot.

Have a jol and don't over think it :thumbup:

I have a bunch of free packets of future life. I prefer it with about half a litre of milk, as a shake, after a ride.

cycling is complicated. :wacko:

I used to be a long distance runner.

It was much simpler.

Cycling have so many technical elements.

That is what makes it such a dynamic and unpredictable sport.

cycling is complicated. :wacko:

Much less complicated than running.

With cycling you can chow and drink without worrying too much about loose bowel movement.

My advice, anything maze based will sustain you the longest, TNT's idea about the Futurelife as a shake is perfect.

Potatoes are OK, and that's where it stays, some pasta can be very high in sugar and is also not a very good carbohydrate..

Chow chick peas, lot's of them, I can guarantee you that your body has more than enough extra carbohydrate to carry you.

Look on the Future Life box, it says 'high in protein' :thumbup:

I love future life but find it needs at least 2 hours to digest before a hard ride. Oats / oatso easy works for me or pronutro mixed with water.

I aim to ensure that the glycogen tank is full before a big race and ensure I'm getting some calories on the bike within the first 90min (that's generally when the glycogen stores are empty).

I have a bunch of free packets of future life. I prefer it with about half a litre of milk, as a shake, after a ride.

shnapp - just can't do the milk thing so it goes with water and some protein powder.