Xterra Buffelspoort

Grondpad

well done to all those who finished today :thumbup: was quite a muddy one, must say though being my first triathlon dont quite enjoy the swim with everyone trying to drown one another, still managed a good time though (in terms of my goals) s happy with that

and well done to the organizers, route markings were good and marshals and water points were top notch.

one negative though was that some wan.ker stole my bike computer off my bike while I went into the breakfast zone quick and the bike was still on the car, hope your conscience gets you, such a beautiful event doesn't need people like you :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Edited by brad890

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! What an awesome event!

I loved every minute of it. The route was amazing, especially the wier. Well done to the organisers and sponsors, everything was great.

A few things I learnt:

Xterra is tough.

6 weeks of swimming will "get you by".

"Getting by" hurts.

Next time, more kung-fu training for the swim

Conrad Stoltz is huge! (And a caveman)

Trail running does not equal road running (not even close)

Oh, and, Xterra is tough!

I will definitely be back next year!

Great event, had a problem with the bottleneck at the start of the cycling stage, lost about 15 min and walked about 1km in this time! Then when we came back some inconsiderate tappets had moved all our gear and chucked it to one corner of the bike stands, thanks for that morons, we have all paid our money. Otherwise it was a great event and what have I learnt from yesterday? Do more swimming and get faster there so you don't get stuck with all the slow/nervous riders, but it was my first event and I rode it with my GF and a friend who had never done any cycling events etc so we all agreed to take it easy and learn from the day.

It was a great event, and I enjoyed it alot!!!

2 things I noticed, firstly I agree with pervious post,also lost like 15 min on walk in the bike part, even though my swim was good.

Secondly I don't know why there wasn't 2 transitions, it was a messup with full and lite guys using the same one...

But big thanks to orginizers, was great event, and a lot of work must be put in that we don't see.

And does anyone know where we can get photo's of the event????

Oh yes, another question, why was the run route diffrent for the lite and full guys, as far as I read, was supposed to be the same?(full just 2 laps)

To sum it up in one word: BRUTAL!

The swim went well and I made good time on the bike, but 7km into the ride my saddle broke off. So I had to pedal standing for about 19km. By the time I got to the run my legs were shot. First lap went OK’ish but doing that stairs and cement climb the second time was hectic.

All in all a good day. I really enjoyed it. Great event

Enjoyed it but was totally finished at the end. Had nothing more to give. Cannot comprehend how the top guys can do it that fast! Just amazing (and kinda depressing!)

My only complaint was the start times - in a part of the world where it gets that hot, to start at 9.45 where you KNOW the back markers will take 5+ hours to finish is just lunacy. Also, they should have had sunblock available at eg the drink stations due to the late start. I lathered myself in sunblock before the start and still burned the hell out of my neck and shoulders. Actually stopped at the medic tent to put more sunblock on because I could feel I was burning. I guess the first leg washed most of my sunblock off and what was left got washed off by the sweat.

But that race is not for sissies. I trained for this and I was well and truly done by the end.

Also my first Xterra - lite (and triathlon for that matter). Really enjoyed it! Sorry I held back as I managed a 1:48 and 28th overall, but still had plenty left when I crossed the line (even with a rolled ankle). One of the best events I have attended. Very well organised and well worth the 3:30am wake up call :P Well done to all the first time Xterra warriors. What a legendary event!

To sum it up in one word: BRUTAL!

It was BRUTAL! I underestimated how the tough the MTB and run leg would be.

No wonder they call you a warrior when you finish.

Edited by Spartan226

It was a great event, and I enjoyed it alot!!!

2 things I noticed, firstly I agree with pervious post,also lost like 15 min on walk in the bike part, even though my swim was good.

Secondly I don't know why there wasn't 2 transitions, it was a messup with full and lite guys using the same one...

But big thanks to orginizers, was great event, and a lot of work must be put in that we don't see.

And does anyone know where we can get photo's of the event????

Should be on www.oakpics.com but nothing so far.

Also my first Tri. Did the lite and managed a 2:57 just managing my goal of under 3 hours so very happy.

Bottle neck on the cycling was a bit of a pain and then my front cable snapped so was limmited with gears but was still a fun ride.

Was a lot of fun tho and will def do it again. will keep an eye out for thenext one's

Taken from the Oakpics FB page:

Sorry, was out in the field and only saw comment now. The brief from the organisers was to only do media coverage and not photos of every competitor. We not loading the pictures onto our website, but give it all to the organisers/Totalsports. We did cover all athletes at the finish line in front of the "Warrior" backdrop of which all will be available on Totalsports for downloading in a few days time.