Xterra Buffelspoort

Grondpad

from the stillwater newsletter

Route Changes

2011 route changes will also be dependent on the weather. Event organizers will make the call either on Friday or Saturday (28 or 29 January 2011). Either of the following changes could be made:

Mountain Bike Route: Both the Lite and Full routes will be shortened by 3km if weather is really bad, as the top part of the return loop is not accessible if too muddy.

Run Route: Depends on two factors:

• Overflow from dam wall

• River level

The alternative would be to include an extra loop towards the east of the road, resulting in less water but more climbing.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah to hell with it i'm not gonna ruin my gear ... i'm gonna wear my lions rugby shorts :rolleyes:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

ah to hell with it i'm not gonna ruin my gear ... i'm gonna wear my lions rugby shorts :rolleyes:

Won't that be bad luck!

Ha Ha time to put the old cassette back on. May be I can add some flippers etc :-)

Sounds like that beer after the race is going to be well earned. I cam't wait................. May be I should use the GF's bike :P or Rouxtjie's :clap:

given its my first 'tri' I am planning on wearing my oldest = thinnest padding cycle shorts and a top of some sort... but then my main aim is to finish ;) is there a cutoff time for the lite race :blush:

Ha Ha time to put the old cassette back on. May be I can add some flippers etc :-)

Sounds like that beer after the race is going to be well earned. I cam't wait................. May be I should use the GF's bike :P or Rouxtjie's :clap:

You not coming near the zula...remember you strip freewheels by applying your superpower hammer force....pffft :rolleyes:

Btw any thoughts on fuel during the race? On the Sasol I just had a swig of juice and that lasted me...I suspect I shall need more for Xterra.

An energy gel or 2 myb? on the mtb??

Eat as soon as you can on the bike leg - this will be about 2km into it but make sue you do eat - you will need it on the run.

A camelback might be a good idea with all the mud - bottle tops will clogg up.

If you are going to go with bottles I would recommend Camelbak bottles with the jet-flow valves - very nice bottles.

Have a gel just before you get off the bike and then again just before you come up the dam wall.

Remember - it takes a bit of time for the gels to kick in.

Take clean kit for afterwards!!!

Have fun kids!

BEER..... :-)

I am going to cycle with a small backpack the has juice in it (and my tools etc in case of punctures). Thought as I MTB all the time I am comfortable stocking up then. Also I will take some gels to get me to the end but that's easy cycling or running

Rouxtjie...... You better not have coffee at the finish line like you told me. ICE cold beers by the dozen

Dan Hugo says "If you're racing Xterra Buffelspoort this weekend, join me for a Q&A at the registration between 5-6pm, Friday." http://bit.ly/heT8JC.

A Question - did a brick sesh the other day, drank a bottle of octane and when I started running I got a nasty side stitch, probly should take in less fluids and rather a gel and /or energy bar ? I'm doing the Lite

So I did the full Xterra today - first triathlon ever and only started swimming 3 weeks ago. Managed to stay calm in the water and the rest fell into place from there. The MTB was bloody technical and didn't offer much opportunity to get into a rhythm, and the trail run was insanely tough. But, hey, I loved it and will be back for more.

I have to say, when we were standing at the start of the swim and I saw how far out the buoys were, I nearly soiled my chamois :o

But, as they say, life's too short for one sport :-)