Tubelss tires not running "true"

Guest coenie

Is there anyone else with this problem? Or maybe I am doint something wrong

I have Mavic Crossmax wheels UST...and I have tried to fit Monorail and crosmark tires and for the life of me can not get either to run "true" the tire seems to wobble and not my rim is 100% true

I have tried soap, lots of it...even rubbing baby oil on the bead and the rim and then gave it GAS at the garage pumps and nope...then I mark the wobble with chalk and take the tire of and try again ....now it wobbles at another part.

I never had this problem with my getto tubeless(well at first but that was the linning)

Any suggestion please or is that Maxxis tires...a friend of mine told him that his LBS said the tires are not made "true" and there is nothing you can do( I thought the tires are made in a machine?)He was using...Continental Mountain king and race king.

ANY ideas PLEASE.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. I fitted new crossmarks on the weekend and noticed a considerable wobble. Can't say I notice it when I ride though, but was wondering why bother with trued wheels when the tires are so out of true.

When I take a corner, especialy on hardpack I feel it... and when i take my hands of the handlebars it is vibrating

my LUST maxxis crossmarks is also not running true....not so bad that i can feel it but i can see it is a bit wobbly,lol....after I rode more with it the tire actually stating going more into shape :)

Interesting, I have non-UST 2.25 Crossmarks with the same problem. Poor quality control?

Try hitting the side of the wheel were the "buckle" is against the floor, sometimes settles the bead a little bit better. But usually soap water does the trick.

Might be part of the bead not sitting lekker. I usually pump the tire to its max psi and let it sit for a while(hour or so) before deflating it to the desired pressure. While I am pumping it to it's max you can hear the bead pop into place. Try it

I had the same problem with my previous rims, WTB lazerdisc rims.

I bought ZTR olympic rims after that and never had the problem again. I can actually pump my tubeless wheels with my footpump at home, something I could never have done with my previous wheelset.

Its just strange that you struggle, because your rims is top of the range.

All I want to say is that in my case the problem was with the rims and not the tyres, I have another pair of wheels, DT Swiss XR400 that I also struggle with.

I actually burst a tyre once trying to seat it, in my room with stans in, do you have any idea what mess that was!!!!

Edited by koukie

I bought ZTR olympic rims after that and never had the problem again. I can actually pump my tubeless wheels with my footpump at home, something I could never have done with my previous wheelset.

All I want to say is that in my case the problem was with the rims and not the tyres, I have another pair of wheels, DT Swiss XR400 that I also struggle with.

I actually burst a tyre once trying to seat it, in my room with stans in, do you have any idea what mess that was!!!!

I do the same with my XT rims :)

Might be part of the bead not sitting lekker. I usually pump the tire to its max psi and let it sit for a while(hour or so) before deflating it to the desired pressure. While I am pumping it to it's max you can hear the bead pop into place. Try it

I wet the tire and even put baby oil on the bead then pumped it to MAX ... no joy

My Mavic 317's worked just fine

Problem is often that the tire doesn't bead properly. Some tires harder to fit on certain rims than others. Most tires has an indication ring about 3mm from the rim edge. See if the ring is the same distance from the rim right around. Soap it up and pump it up to the tire max recommendation pressure and check again. If it is still not true, pump it some more if it is still not right(sweat pouring from every pore at theis stage). You may hear a loud POP and calling me names at this point, but it should hopefully only be the bead popping in correctly.