Tubelss tires not running "true"

Guest coenie

Eldron's insider tip:

When you have the tyre seated pump it up to 3 bar with youor floor pump then start what I affectionately call the Eldron shuffle.

You hold the wheel on the one edge with the wheel at 45 degrees to the ground and bang the lowest point on the ground - as it bounces up you grab it a few degrees to the left and bounce it again. Do this until you've bounced one full rotation. Flip the wheel over and do the other side. This makes sure 100% of the inside of the tyre is coated and any micropores are sealed.

This is especially important if (like me) you use non UST tyres in tubeless form.

No tyre is perfect - they all need to be coated on the inside with sealant. Do the Eldron shuffle baby. No more slow leaks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually burst a tyre once trying to seat it, in my room with stans in, do you have any idea what mess that was!!!!

That was have been a priceless moment !!!

:clap:

my front tyre was running off centre at speed it turned out that the stans went hard inside the tyre and was causing it to be off balance. It was like a rubber ball when I took it out.

After 2 weeks with the new front tyre & a new Stan's rim strip with valve, there is still air escaping when I inflate the tyre above 2.1 psi + tyre also does not run true. I have none of these problems on the rear tyre.

Edited by FuelEX

Is there anyone else with this problem? Or maybe I am doint something wrong

I have Mavic Crossmax wheels UST...and I have tried to fit Monorail and crosmark tires and for the life of me can not get either to run "true" the tire seems to wobble and not my rim is 100% true

I have tried soap, lots of it...even rubbing baby oil on the bead and the rim and then gave it GAS at the garage pumps and nope...then I mark the wobble with chalk and take the tire of and try again ....now it wobbles at another part.

I never had this problem with my getto tubeless(well at first but that was the linning)

Any suggestion please or is that Maxxis tires...a friend of mine told him that his LBS said the tires are not made "true" and there is nothing you can do( I thought the tires are made in a machine?)He was using...Continental Mountain king and race king.

ANY ideas PLEASE.Sam My crossmarx aren,t true either but my contis and geax are. Nothing major though.Differance between michilin and dunlop .You get what you pay for.Racing ralfs weren.t true also. My humble opinion .Conti are the best

• 2 weeks later...

4 Weeks :cursing: after I have replaced my old tube-setup front tyre with a tubeless continental race king 2.2, I still get flats and when inflated at above 2.0 psi, air escapes from the rim/tyre. This is after I have spend R300 to get it repaired at my LBS.

The last time I was there, they (LBS) suggested I get a Stan's rim strip with a new valve, as air was escaping around the previous valve and the rim did not seal properly with previous rim tape.

With this new rim strip I managed to get 3 rides in, but with a front tyre at 1.8 psi. After a proper wash after the weekend's riding on Monday I inflated the tyre to around 2.0 psi. Last night when I wanted to go for a ride the front tyre was completely flat!

I have none of these problems on my rear tyre, which is exactly the same setup. Even the Stan's and that blue goo they inserted into the front tyre does not seem to seal the bloody thing! (the rear only runs on 2 cups of stan's)

So it was a total waste to get myself a Continental Race King, I would have been better off by keeping the Bontrager tyre on. (which wasn't a proper UST tyre)

I'm taking it back in again today. Totally put off by converting to a tubeless set-up, but I don't want to go back to tubes! I have none of these problems on my rear tyre! :thumbdown:

Edited by FuelEX

I run a conti x king non tubeless fitted tubless on the front and a crossmark tubless on the back no hassles with either running out of true both on crest rims but with the non tubless make sure you clean wash and reclean the inside of the tyre with meths or a similar cleaner as the tyres have a coating that prevent the stans effectively sealing the sidewalls if not cleaned off first, you will probably need an extra couple of squirts of sealent when doing it for the initial sealing as they do use extra sealant. I had similar problems with tyres going flat until the lbs told me to clean the inside of the tyres. Pump them hard until you hear the tyre seat usually one or two loud pops. keep them hard overnight and then drop to normal pressure.

hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

For those who have followed this topic, this is just my 2c worth: I had set of Conti Race Kings bought over the internet that would not run true on my Mavic ST racing wheels. After much frustration and following all the advice in this thread I gave up and raced them humps and all.

At the joberg2c I decided to put the Conti's onto my training wheels (DT Dwiss rims) as spares, and put a pair of Schwalbes onto the Mavics. To my amazement the Conti's true on the DT Swiss rims, whereas the Schwalbe's also had a slight wobble to them on the Mavics.

I followed Johan's advice and soaped them up and pumped to the max. pressure and they did seat somewhat but never completely. Nevertheless, the DT Swiss/Conti combo ran true, so much so, I ended up racing them.

So are the tires duds, or is it a rim problem? I would say it is a combination of the two problems, but that is just in my particular case.

Hopefully this experience will give hope to any of you who are as frustrated as I was.

I had the same problem with a set of crossmarks. I ended up taking the wheels and tyres to the petrol station, then used the window washing squeegee to soap up the rims. I then used the petrol stations air pump to pump them up fast and that worked perfectly for one wheel. The other seated correctly at 90% of the right spots. I can't seem to get the last bit to sit properly, I even tried banging it on the ground, but still no luck!

Hi There

I had the same with specialized The captian tubeless tyres on MAVIC crosstrail rims ,wheels are high qaulity but tyres are crap !!! ,I will try other brand tyres next time maybe Maxxis ??