Tubelss tires not running "true"

Guest coenie

If they are new, take em back to the shop and ask for replacement. Get the shop to fit them if you really want to go that far...

If they are not new and you have been using Stans, there is the possibility that the Stans is delaminating the tread from the casing. Maxxis and Stans = NO FRIENDS.

In this case throw the tires away and start again with a new tire of choice and a water based sealant like Slime, Sludge or even the Ryder branded sealant works a charm for only 59.99...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of the thime this problem is due to a defective tyre.

I see some of you blame yourselves by trying different remedies to get the tyre to "bead" properly etc, even treating it with baby oil, Purity and other delicacies.

It is not your fault but the tyre's. Most tyres have a little ridge just above the bead and by following that visually, you can quickly see if the bead is not properly seated. Your eye won't lie to you.

The best you can do is fit that tyre at the back where it won't destroy your psychologically by taunting you as you ride.

Watch out for over-inflation when the tyre is soaped or even oiled. It can come off the rim and the result is a0 scary and B) catastrophic.

It scares the living daylights out of you to have a huge explosion followed by a slime spray. The dogs run away, Chubb arrives with backup and you will forever take cover when there's a thunderstorm. It can obviously hurt you too.

I say it is catastrophic because often the resulting explosion bends the rim. It presents as a tacoed wheel but on closer inspection, the rim is actually bent and useless. Been there, done that. Don't do it. Stick to the maximum and go no higher unless you wear safety glasses and ear protection.

Lots of wheels run skew from day one, but a good tyre can also be damaged by a hard bottom-out that cuts one or two of the cords, resulting in a wobbly tyre.

It scares the living daylights out of you to have a huge explosion followed by a slime spray. The dogs run away, Chubb arrives with backup and you will forever take cover when there's a thunderstorm.

LMGA!

could be these tires are cheaper for a reason ... ;)

as JB says.. put it on the rear wheel.. and good luck with the next tire you gonna try up front.

Just buy a Merida :D

I have normally found it's just the tire, especially on a tubeless rim. On other rims that have been comverted it can be from using the wrong tubeless system for that rim and it then does not enable the tire to sit correctly on the rim.

Just buy a Merida :D

I have normally found it's just the tire, especially on a tubeless rim. On other rims that have been comverted it can be from using the wrong tubeless system for that rim and it then does not enable the tire to sit correctly on the rim.

Nobody here wants to hear about your merida tupperware tendancies :rolleyes:

Good post Johan, that sums it up.

I see some of you blame yourselves by trying different remedies to get the tyre to "bead" properly etc, even treating it with baby oil, Purity and other delicacies.

It is not your fault but the tyre's. Most tyres have a little ridge just above the bead and by following that visually, you can quickly see if the bead is not properly seated. Your eye won't lie to you.

The best you can do is fit that tyre at the back where it won't destroy your psychologically by taunting you as you ride.

Watch out for over-inflation when the tyre is soaped or even oiled. It can come off the rim and the result is a0 scary and B) catastrophic.

It scares the living daylights out of you to have a huge explosion followed by a slime spray. The dogs run away, Chubb arrives with backup and you will forever take cover when there's a thunderstorm. It can obviously hurt you too.

I say it is catastrophic because often the resulting explosion bends the rim. It presents as a tacoed wheel but on closer inspection, the rim is actually bent and useless. Been there, done that. Don't do it. Stick to the maximum and go no higher unless you wear safety glasses and ear protection.

Lots of wheels run skew from day one, but a good tyre can also be damaged by a hard bottom-out that cuts one or two of the cords, resulting in a wobbly tyre.

Thanks Johan

I had a look at the little line above the bead and it seemed 100% straight...maybe this explains why I the crossmarks at R300 per tire....must have been a bad batch that someone got hold of and then distributed.

I have also struggled with Maxxis tyres in the past.Especially, Lust tyres, The side walls are pretty stiff.

What i have done if inflating does not work, is drop the pressure to about 1.2 bar, chuck the wheels back on the bike and go for a gentle ride.

Be careful when braking and turning as a burp off the rim is a potential hazard.

This should help cycle the bead on the rim and work the tight bits.

Then repressure the tyre to its max PSI.

If this doesn't work,ask the LBS, for replacements.

...a friend of mine told him that his LBS said the tires are not made "true" and there is nothing you can do( I thought the tires are made in a machine?)He was using...Continental Mountain king and race king.

It always amazes me how shops try to pass the buck like this.

What utter rubbish.

I've had this exact same issue with Conti Mntn Kings and WTB rims before. It has nothing to do with the tyre being defective. Bornman, there is a thing called quality control at factories, and I can assure you the Conti's are made with maximum care. We're talking top of the line, hand made UST spec'd tyres here.

My tyres were PERFECTLY true when there was an inner tube inside. When I switched over to tubeless in the WTB Lazerdisc (the exact same rim) I could never get them to run true. Part of the bead always sat under the rim too much. No matter what I did I could never get them run true. I changed the rims to Mavic at some point and viola, they were perfect again. Had nothing to do with the tyre being defective. It was the slight differences in sizes and bedding of the bead between the WTB and the Conti.

What utter rubbish.

I've had this exact same issue with Conti Mntn Kings and WTB rims before. It has nothing to do with the tyre being defective. Bornman, there is a thing called quality control at factories, and I can assure you the Conti's are made with maximum care. We're talking top of the line, hand made UST spec'd tyres here.

My tyres were PERFECTLY true when there was an inner tube inside. When I switched over to tubeless in the WTB Lazerdisc (the exact same rim) I could never get them to run true. Part of the bead always sat under the rim too much. No matter what I did I could never get them run true. I changed the rims to Mavic at some point and viola, they were perfect again. Had nothing to do with the tyre being defective. It was the slight differences in sizes and bedding of the bead between the WTB and the Conti.

"big baby" ..... that is very apt!!!!!!!

What utter rubbish.

Um, he said 90%, maybe you belong to the 10% where its not the case. I removed the Mountain Kings which were perfectly true and replaced with crossmarks that wobble all over the place. They are perfectly seated in the rim with the bead locked in all the way round. I agree that its just a crappy tyre, but I just bought them because I wanted a UST tyre that rolls better on tar than the Mtn Kings for my daily commute.

Um, he said 90%, maybe you belong to the 10% where its not the case. I removed the Mountain Kings which were perfectly true and replaced with crossmarks that wobble all over the place. They are perfectly seated in the rim with the bead locked in all the way round. I agree that its just a crappy tyre, but I just bought them because I wanted a UST tyre that rolls better on tar than the Mtn Kings for my daily commute.

So the two Conti's I had were defective? Like I said, when I changed the rim they ran perfectly. It's a rim/tyre dimension incompatibility issue. Anyone in manufacture will tell you, you can have sizing standards but it doesnt mean that the things will always fit perfectly.

Big H, your post contributes in what way? (I have an idea for what the 'H' stands for by the way)

What utter rubbish.

My friends call me Johan. Teachers and scrawny corporals in the army used to call me Bornman.

Thank you for pointing out that Continental tyres are made with maximum care. I must have imagined a very recent Conti incident where two tyres from the same batch would not fit on a specific rim. Magically one from another batch did fit. But as I said, I was dreaming. Contis are perfect, Contis are perfect, Contis are perfect...I must remember. Maximum care.

So the two Conti's I had were defective? Like I said, when I changed the rim they ran perfectly. It's a rim/tyre dimension incompatibility issue. Anyone in manufacture will tell you, you can have sizing standards but it doesnt mean that the things will always fit perfectly.

Big H, your post contributes in what way? (I have an idea for what the 'H' stands for by the way)

No, you didn't read my post, you belong to that group of people where it wasn't the tyres that were defective. Johan didn't say that every single wobbly tyre is caused by a defective tyre, he said probably 90%, in his opinion.

What utter rubbish.

If Johan had said 80% of the time?? What then? Coupled with all his other appropriate comment. (like helping dummies101 avoid the misfortune of riding with eye patches B) )

Regardless of the fact that there is quality control, even slight deviations in wall, bead or tread thickness are going to be felt far more on a bicycle than they would in a car.

If the tyre is seated correctly on the rim (bead line even all round both sides), the rim is true and the tire has a shimmy or hop, it's the tyre!

After you have run it on the back (so as not to destroy yourself psychologically :lol: ) and you have run out of TREAD (thread as i've heard it said! :D ) cut sections through the tyre at about 80mm intervals and vernier the wall and contact sections of the tyre. When you have done that, draw your conclusion and post your comment (or apology) to Johan.

BIG H - stop stirring! :thumbup:

Well posted Johan, and thanks for the laughs :lol:

My friends call me Johan. Teachers and scrawny corporals in the army used to call me Bornman.

Thank you for pointing out that Continental tyres are made with maximum care. I must have imagined a very recent Conti incident where two tyres from the same batch would not fit on a specific rim. Magically one from another batch did fit. But as I said, I was dreaming. Contis are perfect, Contis are perfect, Contis are perfect...I must remember. Maximum care.

HAAAH :lol: :lol: :lol:

BORNMAN !!! OPBAFOK :angry: STAANOP! :cursing: Links Regs Links Regs Links Regs HARLOOOOOP! :cursing:

STOOT EEENHONEERD! :cursing: STOOT! Se DIT! Contis is perfec!Contis is perfec!Contis is perfec!Contis is perfec! EKE HOOR JY NIE! :angry: SE DIT! SE DIT