Info about going tubeless

StevieL

Father Christmas did the conversion for me but apparently only had GEAX Mezcal and Saguaro in stock, got one of each. I don't know this make, can anybody share some light on the pro's and con's on the tyre. My con is the price.

they are brilliant tyres bought one on saturday should be between 500-600 a tyre strong sidewall I had a captain spez 150 kms and the bead got holed so got the saguaro again

they are a bit heavier, I have always used them but tried the Captain front and fast trak back for a lighter tyre but they dont have the strength so back to Saguaro, they also have a bit more volume so you can lower the pressure without dinging the rim( I weigh 100 kg )

I ride Tokai stukkend and they grip and handle the terrain well you cant go wrong with them

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is it the batched that was sold in Cape Town? Maybe grey imports?"

- Please elaborate...

I have a set of crossmarks and think they're fantastic, only issue i'm having is that they dont run straight

Father Christmas did the conversion for me but apparently only had GEAX Mezcal and Saguaro in stock, got one of each. I don't know this make, can anybody share some light on the pro's and con's on the tyre. My con is the price.

The con of the price is far outweighed by the durability of these tires. I regularly run the Geax Barro Mountain up front and the Geax Saguaro and sometimes Geax Mescal (not used when riding very muddy or very rocky terrain)at the back. Where other tires are eaten up by tar or the likes in no time, these babies just last for ever. Think it is due to the different compounds rubber used on different sections of the tires. They are pretty light too due to the thinner, but armoured sidewalls. Never suffered a sidewall cut yet.

Opening a can of worms, but in my opinion the Geax TNT tires outlasts Conti Mt King 4:1 and Maxxis Xmarks by at least 2:1. (I accept type of terrain has an influence on this)

Edited by KnobbyMech

The con of the price is far outweighed by the durability of these tires. I regularly run the Geax Barro Mountain up front and the Geax Saguaro and sometimes Geax Mescal (not used when riding very muddy or very rocky terrain)at the back. Where other tires are eaten up by tar or the likes in no time, these babies just last for ever. Think it is due to the different compounds rubber used on different sections of the tires. They are pretty light too due to the thinner, but armoured sidewalls. Never suffered a sidewall cut yet.

Opening a can of worms, but in my opinion the Geax TNT tires outlasts Conti Mt King 4:1 and Maxxis Xmarks by at least 2:1. (I accept type of terrain has an influence on this)

Running the same setup, (2.2 Mescal front, 2.1 Saguaro at back) Great rolling over hardpack, Ok in wet and good in loose/sand. No expert on tyres, this is compared to the Larsen TT's I ran before.

I've ruun Shwalber Racing Ralphs, Cross mark, kenda karma and nevegal and the conti combo.

IMO the crossmarks last forever, but their grip in corners is useless. I'll never ever put one on the front wheel again.

Kenda Karma grips lekker, but didnt really last long.

Nevegal lasts forever, grips really lekker in corners, but a bit of a tractor tire. Not suited for the back wheel.

Conti combo, meh, they're okay. I think a 2.4 Kountain King on the front might be awesome. if you fancy a fast roller over grip the race king is great for the back

Currently on the long ride bike I ride the 2.1 Nevegal on front and Crossmark at the back. Nevegal for grip, crossmatrk because I had one lying around and it lasts forever, and I slide the back wheel anyway so grip's overrated. my jump bike is running mountain king up front, and Karma at the back, but thinking of going the raceking on the back for street riding.

Next up I'll try WTB or Geax.

Unkess you really want to upgrade to UST tires, run what you brung until it breaks. then go for whatever tickles your fancy (but go UST, they really do last forever.)

At the end of the day your riding style will afect what tyre suits you more than anything else, thats why so many people like the cross mark so much, they hardly ever go near the limit in terms of grip.

I got the excact same setup. However, I put the Mezcal in the front and the Saguaro on the rear.

Reason - look at the lable the tyres came with and the Mezcal is a better wet tyre than the Saguaro and also the Mezcal is a 2.1 and the Saguaro is a 2.0. So it made sense to me. I tried it in the wet at Babbas this past weekend and it was perfect.

does anyone do as much research into what tyres they put on their car?

just thinking about all the extra petrol rands spent on rolling resistance over time...i sure don't

We run Crossmark NON UST foldables on the rear, and Schwalbe Rocket Ron Non-UST on the front.

The Rocket Rons grip like the smelly stuff to a wool blanket on every type of terrain we have used them on.

The Crossmarks seem to last forever, and we have never experienced a flat riding with either tyre.

Non-UST are lighter than UST, and although the sidewalls are slightly thinner, have not given any problems.

They also seat easier than UST tyres.

The Crossmarks run true, with no problems of throwing the wheel out of true.

...thats why so many people like the cross mark so much, they hardly ever go near the limit in terms of grip...

I agree. If you ride really fast and end up drifting through corners, you're better off with something like a Nevegal. You're right about them being tractor tires though, they're freakin' slow, you can hear them grinding along quite loudly. I've ridden the following branded tyres over the years:

- Panaracer Smoke, Panaracer Dart

- Tioga Psycho

- Ritchey Z-Max

- Panaracer Khartoum

- WTB Velociraptor

- IRC Mythos XC

- IRC Missile

- Continental Town and Country

- Panaracer Spike

- Continental Country

- Michelin Comp 16

- Maxxis High Roller

- Hutchinson Piranha Airlight

- Kenda Small Block 8

- Maxxis Advantage

- Kenda Nevegal

In my experience, I rate them as follows...

Grippiest: Michelin Comp 16, IRC Missile, Kenda Nevegal

Fastest rolling for a real knobbly: Hutchinson Piranhas - by far, much better than SB8s.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

gr8 responses...keep em coming...nice to know what people think of the tyres they've used so far.

i've had

1) hutchinson's as stock tyres on my trek fuel - they tend to loose grip in the corners but roll fairly fast

2) kenda nevegal as stock on my gt force - they grip well, but are heavy , dont roll fast and dont climb well

3) schwalbe rocket rons as stock on my merida 96 - love these tyres - roll fast, grip well - but last as long as a water droplet in the sun-and are puncture prone...but i love them all the same.

does anyone do as much research into what tyres they put on their car?

just thinking about all the extra petrol rands spent on rolling resistance over time...i sure don't

I do on my 4x4, on my road car, not too much, I look more for value for money over distance covered.

Are the tubeless valves universal? Im building up a set of tubeless wheels with Mavic XM disc 317 rims

I recently had a flat on my Merida. Turned out to be the valve. I had the tubless conversion done when I bought the bike and have never had a problem. Running the Maxxis cross mark LUST.

Only thin is, when removing the tyre from the rim, I noticed that they had been glued on...is this normal practice?