Road vs MT Biking Attitudes

janneman72

This is just a general question of something that I've noticed.

Coming from a roadie background and moving over to MT biking due to the dangerous roads etc I noticed that mountain bikers overall(with the exception) are more social than roadies. Roadies has the tendency to almost never greet you on the road, always has this "looking down to mountain bikers attitude" like if you're not a roadie then you're don't know anything about cycling attitude...

However mountain bikers normally care for the environment, rides more responsible (maybe because they fall harder sometimes) and is much easier to have a normal conversation with without any attitude what so ever, they're more relaxed and open. Lots of mountain bikers only training doing mountain biking but kick ass on the road as well and some roadies are also seriously good or better the mountain bikers so the playing field is level, I'm just not sure about the attitude between the 2 sports.

I was just wondering if it was only me or if I missed something that happened between cool roadies and social MTBikers. Almost like Mercedes vs BMW or iPhone vs BlackBerry etc. TO have a BlackBerry tells people you're a hardcore business man, to have an iPhone is like saying I'm chill but I also do business.

Maybe I'm dreaming and in that case I apologise for this post. Does anyone agree/disagrees with me?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However mountain bikers .... rides more responsible

Then why did the guy in his Dunkeld kit riding a Spez 29er keep on jumping the red lights on Ontdekker last Sunday. After the 3rd light (that I saw) he got a puncture with his hollier then though tubeless wheels and the hole did not want to seal. For a few km he kept on flinging sealant up but no holes were sealed. Karma is a b!tch.

hahahaha! well... the more mountainy the mountainbiking, the more relaxed the attitudes get.

...like dirt jumpers and downhillers have an even friendlier attitude than that of XC riders

<runs and hides>

hahaha!

but in all seriousness... I guess the attitude comes down to individuals.

i do a lot of road training MTB'ing and i RUN a LOT. Roadies are 100% more unfriendly and will never greet you unless you are Lance and maybe you'll get an eyebrow. Mtb'ers Can just as full of Sh&* but will acknowledge you. NOW get off the bike and put on running shoes. The same guy you caught on the climb wont acknowledge your excistance.

BOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wormie ..... any idea on dates on your ride through botswana ?

is it malaria free. have to worry about the little person.

Then why did the guy in his Dunkeld kit riding a Spez 29er keep on jumping the red lights on Ontdekker last Sunday. After the 3rd light (that I saw) he got a puncture with his hollier then though tubeless wheels and the hole did not want to seal. For a few km he kept on flinging sealant up but no holes were sealed. Karma is a b!tch.

pffft closet roadie...

i find mtb guys more friendly, maybe they just dont see that i am actually a d!ck as fast as the roadies do! maybe roadies are just better judges of character! ;)

Erm - Mampara. Not sure if your point is made or moot.

What the hell is a true mountainbiker doing on Ontdekkers?

If he is riding a Spez 29'r then he is more than likely a roadie MTB wannabee. :lol:

I do agree that Karma be da bee!tch tho' :P

Janneman thank you for this post.I was once a roadie. I was like in moerse cool. Then some friends started riding MTB and I accused them of being softies, frikken riding 20km ph in the veld looking at the flowers. Then I started riding MTB. I had 2 non negotiable rules in cycling, 1) Ill never push my bike. 2) No chick will ever beat me in a race.

That rule counted until my first MTB race. Lank chicks beat me and I pushed my bike. So the realisation came that MTB is hard, damn hard.

I have started doing some training rides on my roadbike.

It is amazing how many roadies will not respond to any sort of greeting. They are so ice cool it stinks.

Mounties again dont just wave a hello. They stop and chat.

My opinion therefore is that MTB riders are very friendly and some roadies are snobs

Haha seeing as I bought a road bike to train for mtb'ing, I went riding yesterday, waving at all the roadies. They checked me out with some very funny looks, but no, no words or even a wave...

Perhaps it's because sometimes when we ride with the MTBiking club, there's a 4 or 5km stretch where we have to ride on the road and the previous time the local pro-roadies we're going out and we came in after 50 odd kilometers and they couldn't keep up with us, mud tyres and all. So maybe they think they're fast and hardcore where as mountain bikers don't think anything of themselves because they know they can fall the @ss off any given moment so they're more humble.

But I agree, it's probably more about the individual. 95% of the time I train doing MTBiking but do the events road on my racing bike and my mountain biking events on my MTB. But I start to prefer MTBiking more and more everyday partly because of the people I've met so far etc vs the roadies thinking they're Lance.

i dont share the same sentiments. alot of cyclists enjoy both disciplines of cycling as do i.

my opinion on the difference of attitudes lies in that road cyclists are always concentrating on their training, their heat rate etc, and generally have determined training purpose for their ride, whilst mtb'rs on the other hand also may share some of the same qualities but not at the same level of intensity. there is a far more exciting, dirtier, more free atmosphere, some what resembling the days of your youth, where you enjoyed riding your bmx, very ruff and tumble. and you generally shared those bmx'img moments with friends, hence the more sociable atmosphere from the mtb'rs.

however, mind you that there some grumpy mtb'rs and also very sociable roadies.

just my 2c :thumbup: