How far do you commute ?

ngala24

Just wanted to know if you guys that commute all have showers at work or what do you do? I started riding to work 3 days out of the week a week ago and now the boss says he wants me to shower first so I don't come in all sweaty. The problem is that there aren't any showers at our workplace...

Maybe I should just wash in the sink lol and then spray deoderant...

I have showers at work.

My wife does not. She has a plastic basin that she uses to put water in to wash with.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to know if you guys that commute all have showers at work or what do you do? I started riding to work 3 days out of the week a week ago and now the boss says he wants me to shower first so I don't come in all sweaty. The problem is that there aren't any showers at our workplace...

Maybe I should just wash in the sink lol and then spray deoderant...

I don't have shower at work and my commute is 18km one way. I go to the bathroom and wipe down with a wet cloth and dry with a towel afterwards.

If you leave early enough when its not that hot yet it really isn't that big a deal for most people. You do get people that do sweat profusely for which this might not work, but for the majority of people I don't think this should be a problem all. Apply the deodarant afterwards and your good to go.

Btw. Not having a shower use to be my excuse for not commuting to work for about 2 years, until I tried and realised, it really is not such a big deal. Not having a shower, becomes a lame excuse. my 2c

I've got a shower at work - wouldn't do the commute if it wasn't for one. The +-13k's is uphill mostly, so sweat is measured in buckets in the morning.

You could always look for an alternative - gym / neighbour?

• 2 months later...

Someone said (some cyclist I don't remember who) that if you shower before you go to work, your sweat is 'clean'.

So it won't feel as bad as perhaps doing a full days work then sweating.

• 2 weeks later...

Does everyone ride in proper padded shorts? Be it bibs, Lycra shorts or baggies.

I do. I have been off the bike for a while due to bronchitis / flu so my butt hurts when I get back in the saddle. Really thankful for my Lycra shorts.

Tested one of a few routes I can use yesterdya, 16km from Virgin aCtive on 14th Avenue, to Randburg. 16 km of lots of climbing. thats was a hard MTB ride. Gonna look at going through Republic road, 11kms to work. My legs are sore today.

I use a pair of Indola shorts, gonna get me another pair soon. They really save your ass on trips > 10km

• 3 months later...

Starting new job on the 3rd of September and will then start commuting, can't wait. Its only 10km one way but still better than nothing. :clap: :clap:

Starting new job on the 3rd of September and will then start commuting, can't wait. Its only 10km one way but still better than nothing. :clap: :clap:

Lekker.

The thing about a shortish commute, you always have the option of increasing the length by as much as you want.

Or you have a nice detour on the way home in the afternoon.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Started commuting twice a week for now, upping it to three times in 2 or 3 weeks time.

Its great... just need to get a bike thats not a dual susp mtb bike without lockout! Bouncing all my power away!

about 11-12km one way

• 2 weeks later...

Been commuting as much as I can, so far averaging about 2 days a week. The route to work is 30km minimum so planning is important. Luckily there is a gym next door to the office so have access to showers etc.

Well, the last time I was working in randburg, now I'm in Parktown.... 1H10 to do 27km in the car. ^*%$^&%**(())__. Got mybself slicks for the mtb, new more compy saddle. So I'm not so fit at this stage, I'll drive to 14thAve Virgin Active, and cycle the 12km left in. Will take +-40min. will beat the cars. Monday, it took me an hour to do 12km. I lost my sence of humour!

Had my first commute this mornin. Not the quickest did 12km in +-35min. you don't realize how k@k some of the climbs are when you are in your car(then again I have been very lazy the last few months so I'm very unfit). But what fun. I love it from Monday i will say baai baai to all the petrol price increase and start saving for my Zula. :clap: :clap: :clap: