My 29er rant

Tieffels

All these debates about 29 vs 26. Nowhere has anyone taken into consideration the riders ability. Surely that's a factor. A bit like being 10kg's overweight but then buying a new bike to save 0,5 kg's ?????

Also what about rider size. Does a person riding a small 26'er get the same benefit....if any......on a 29'er as someone who rides a large.

Personally I think a 29'er in a small looks a bit like a hammock between 2 wheels. And we all know not easy to do anything in a hammock other than relax.

:)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmmm road bikes are 29er already - go and measure one.

Ummmmm squared the 69er is already on sale.

Dude - you gotta get out more...

That is sooo funny. I wonder when component companies gonna start playing with electronic groupsets or even maybe just go to 11 speed.

How much longer before we see a road bike 29er? Lots of $ to be made there.

And what about hybrids: anyone tried 29 fr 26 back? Like you get on enduro motorcycles? Must be a good reason for that.

NOOIT kosmo - ! maakoopIoogies! :D

Edited by The Drongo

So you haven't actually ridden one, then? For a period of time, not just off the back of your friend's X5 and around the car park?

Can you spell Luddite?

Spell Luddite - let me think.......

B L A C K B E R R Y ?

Did I get it?

All these debates about 29 vs 26. Nowhere has anyone taken into consideration the riders ability. Surely that's a factor. A bit like being 10kg's overweight but then buying a new bike to save 0,5 kg's ?????

Also what about rider size. Does a person riding a small 26'er get the same benefit....if any......on a 29'er as someone who rides a large.

Personally I think a 29'er in a small looks a bit like a hammock between 2 wheels. And we all know not easy to do anything in a hammock other than relax.

Personally I think its all down to this.

More like 6-7 years ago. And it's ok, those early adopters didn't do it for the 'novelty' or for being 'cool' because more often than not they got ridiculed.

Ride one. Especially considering your size. You won't go back'

NOTE: I don't actually ride a 29er myself

Don't you feel really sorry for the early adopters of sprung forks, sprung saddles - wait - full sus frames ??? Clipless pe't'als - DISK brakes ?!

Ride what rocks your world dudes.

I have a 26fs and my long time riding buddy just got a 29er fs . he doesnt shut up about it, i think its cause he has to justify his decision or mayble its that good. All i know is i love my bike and i love riding and whatever makes anyone happy so be it. If the 29technology actually is better or not still up for debate as we have seen. Who knows maybe in a couple of years i might get a 29 er maybe not. What im trying to say is at most of our level of riding that is all of us on the hub the bike is not the one holding us back its our skills and ability that dont match our bikes, so i doubt a 29er will make us any better or faster than we are at the moment.

People....you're all missing the point. Screw the debates on which is better. Screw what everyone thinks.

I ride for fun and enjoyment. Stop trying to analyze and compare etc etc etc....ride the bloody thing and decide whether you like the feel or not. To hell with whether it's going to be .17 seconds faster over your favorite trail or whether it's going to provide .00076 more G's of cornering force because of the bigger contact patch.

29ers feel AWESOME! But my 26er also feels AWESEOME....but in different ways.

Thats why I have just ordered a steel 29er SS - they hurt you far too much for posers to buy.

Amen

Guess there is no better time to get my rant of my chest..

First up I really REALLY feel sorry for the early adopters on the 29-er, back in the day when they were still cool and novel and stuffs,1. which was like 12 months ago.. There is nothing that killed the 29er novelty vibe like countless yuppies in X5’s with a carbon 29er S-works on the back..

Maybe it is a JHB thing, but at basically every MTB training ride I’ve been on lately, there’s been a guy with a brand spanking new 29er.2. With red hubs (do black hubs not work on 29ers?). And a medium frame. I was keen on trying one out, I really was since I thought at 6'2 it made sence in a way. But I must have heard 5 okes telling their buddy how at the last race 3.all the cool peeps had 29ers, now he’s also planning on getting one. And4. Burry rides one these days, he will also tell his buddy with a liberal dose of “insider info” tone of voice. And that it is better all round will be thrown in with a bit of “gospel” tone of voice. When “contact patch” gets mentioned I normally fake a puncture by biting a hole in my back tyre..

It makes me want to convert to a 24”. But that is just me, the oke who balances out the world with early adopters on the one side, me on the other side (cynical about every new hype), and countless mindless sheep in the middle.5. The okes from Powerbalance took a page out of the 29er marketing book.

{Grabs flame proof jacket and eyes the clock}

1.Bought my first one late 2002.

2.Most guys have red hubs as the A/Classics had red hubs on their t-less sets when the LATE adopters joined the wagon around 12 months ago.

3.The people who make those statements upset me too.

4.Every single person out there who is gullible enough to fashion what they need aroudn the PRO's , have only themselves to blame, "Burry does this, Christophe does this, Conrad does this" etc.etc.etc. it's actually pretty nauseating.

5.Perhaps they should have, then they would have had some scientific proof to back up their claims.

It would have been easier for you to make a simple statement.

"I am sick and tired of the 29'er marketing propaganda"

ride the bloody thing and decide whether you like the feel or not.

:clap: :clap:

So true, I prefer C and D cups to A and B cups, so where does that leave us ?

Chicken, think of the positives...when this revolution takes hold like the prophets suggest, we would be able to get wheels, forks and frames for nothing. If it doesn't, we get to say, we told you so. Win-win :thumbup:

while everyone is paying attention.

what are the percieved advantages of a fs 29er over a 26 fs?

I dont do deep cornering, more like open ride touring with the occasional single track. Kind like the knysna mtn bike ride and k2c.

The heated debate between the 26 vs 29'ers is quite entertaining. Still unsure why anyone would really *care* about what someone else rides around on ? but hey, you're the one losing some sleep about it.

I don't care or mind that you ride a bike ... all I know is I'm having way more fun :D

So everyone who rides a small size road bike should be forced onto 650C wheels? Sounds stupid to me.

Very cool comparison by a pro, http://www.sauserwind.com/diary.asp , I woulk like it if one of the bikes shops get some "normal" guys to do the same sort of test. BUt I think Christoph Sauser sums it up quite well at the end. I would also like to se the finishing results of 29'ers vs 26'ers, for us "normal" people. I would say if yo uare in the market for a new bike, probably good to keep the 26'er (for cross country rides) and get a 29'er, cause it seems most guys are doing the marathon riding on the road with MTB type of thing nowadays.

How much longer before we see a road bike 29er? Lots of $ to be made there.

And what about hybrids: anyone tried 29 fr 26 back? Like you get on enduro motorcycles? Must be a good reason for that.

I think the Trek 69er pretty much started all of this...maybe after GF though