My 29er rant

Tieffels

I also prefer C & D cups! And damn, am I happy my preference lies in that direction...

Yip, and it doesn't make the A and B's obsolete, they are just for a different market :D

@Scuzzy, us normal guys have been riding the 29'ers before Christoph even knew that a bigger tyre existed.

Edited by Dangle

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point is a pro will win on anything, yes the first 3 places on the Attakwas was 29ers but they would have done just as good on 26" duals. Pro's ride what they are given from the factory and what needs to be marketed.

cut cut cut

@Scuzzy, us normal guys have been riding the 29'ers before Christoph even new that a bigger tyre existed.

cut cut cut

Pfft pro's...Reviews from normal guys carry much more weight imo than any review from factory riders or "sponsered" tests...they get paid to do so...normal guys don't

Point is a pro will win on anything, yes the first 3 places on the Attakwas was 29ers but they would have done just as good on 26" duals. Pro's ride what they are given from the factory and what needs to be marketed.

Atta can be done with a skateboard, so yes I agree, they are Pro's and SHOULD win on any bike.

OK it's Friday guys 'let it go' for crying out loud, how many threads shall we have on this 'debate'. After much much deliberation and slandering and wasted typing IMHO the consensus was ride what you want :unsure:

Will more discussion change that? NO :angry:

When someone says 29'er, I wanna go "POWERBALANCE!!!"

I wonder what the placebo effect would have been if people just concentrated on the negatives of 29'rs? Slower acceleration. Higher inertia to overcome thus basically changing your pedalling style etc. Slower steering responses.

while everyone is paying attention.

what are the percieved advantages of a fs 29er over a 26 fs?

I dont do deep cornering, more like open ride touring with the occasional single track. Kind like the knysna mtn bike ride and k2c.

Moderators should know that kind of thing

When someone says 29'er, I wanna go "POWERBALANCE!!!"

I wonder what the placebo effect would have been if people just concentrated on the negatives of 29'rs? Slower acceleration. Higher inertia to overcome thus basically changing your pedalling style etc. Slower steering responses.

Slower steering ? not when you get the right bike.

I am not here to debate which is better or worse.

But your argument can be two fold, what about the negatives on the 26'ers ?

Both have positives and negatives, as I said, it's the same as titties, get what appeals to you the most.

I will tell you what is quite laughable , sitting on the sidelines looking at all the folks wanting to buy a 29'er (because it will make them FASTER) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess there is no better time to get my rant of my chest..

First up I really REALLY feel sorry for the early adopters on the 29-er, back in the day when they were still cool and novel and stuffs, which was like 12 months ago.. There is nothing that killed the 29er novelty vibe like countless yuppies in X5’s with a carbon 29er S-works on the back..

Actually the early adopters were in the 1980's, so not even close!

Don't know where you ride with so many rich yuppies, must be a small (minded) bike park in a wealthy area-so why go there?So is the yuppie following a trend the problem or is the 29er the problem?

BAAAAH BAAAAH a 29ER SHEEP!

J.F.R(Just F*****n Ride)cause you love it, whatever it might be.

Edited by Mr. G

Slower steering ? not when you get the right bike.

I am not here to debate which is better or worse.

But your argument can be two fold, what about the negatives on the 26'ers ?

Both have positives and negatives, as I said, it's the same as titties, get what appeals to you the most.

I will tell you what is quite laughable , sitting on the sidelines looking at all the folks wanting to buy a 29'er (because it will make them FASTER) :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that is the thing - the marketing gurus almost always tell you about the good stuff and when you ask about the bad stuff, they tell you that it is not a problem and it's so small it makes no differance. So if 29'ers are the be all and end all to MTB'ing, why only NOW the big hype??? Why all of a sudden is it so big???

I believe it is just in the way it is marketed.

Are 29'ers better? Depends. Are you? ;)

I have been beaten more times by my wife and 26ers than I have been by 29'ers!

ok, lets rephrase.

Will a 29er be a better ride than a 26er for the freedom challenge ? Cause all these comments cause doubt as to wether it will make the riding easier or not.

Note: I dont say faster, I am not to worried about speed, I am saying easier.

Are 29'ers better? Depends. Are you? ;)

I have been beaten more times by my wife and 26ers than I have been by 29'ers!

MJ...sorry to hear...there are support groups for that too, you know?

:D :D

You see negatives, I see positives: slower deceleration, greater momentum, and compared to my 26er (a Maverick Matic), the steering is much more nimble.

Fact is, I had to adapt my riding style to suit this bike, and in the process picked up around 5kgs (all in my legs) as I went from a guy who mostly used to spin on a 26er, to a guy that powers along on a 29er.

Personally, I hope you win this argument, and manage to convince everyone NOT to get a 29er so that I can keep on getting the results I have in the past year.

Interesting read on BikeRadar The truth behind 29ers

@chickenrun.....trek terug Kaap toe!! Hier's nie so baie Yuppy X5's nie....die sokker mommies ry hulle meestal!!