The value of "better" wheels

I have been cycling for a number of years and have recently thought about buying a new set of wheels ie possibly Mavic's.

As a very average cyclist,would so-called "better" wheels make much of a difference !

I have been cycling for a number of years and have recently thought about buying a new set of wheels ie possibly Mavic's.

As a very average cyclist,would so-called "better" wheels make much of a difference !

LegTrap, you would not believe the difference a good set of racing wheels will make to your cycling, until you try it. Before you invest in a set of wheels, consider your application, and obviously weight. Try and stay under 1500 g, and then choose good climbers such as Mavic Ksyrium SL's (about R8000 new) or deep section aero wheels, such as Easton EC 90 SL (about R14000 new). The rotational weight saved on wheels will remarkably improve your speed and handling. Good luck in finding the set that suits you.

Edited by atraut

if "better" = lighter then YES!

yip, better wheels go better and it gives you a mental edge aswell.

A good set Easton's will be my advise.. :thumbup:

Got Mavic ksyrium SR. Used to free wheel about the same as my friend down a hill, now he struggles to stay in my slip stream. You cant beleive it, it feels like cheating. :lol:

Legtrap, just to confuse you some more, and maybe Hubbers will be able to help. Would you spend, say 15K on a set of "race" wheels, and use them 5 - 10 times a year, OR would you want to spend 15K and use them on a daily (training) basis? blink.gif

Legtrap, just to confuse you some more, and maybe Hubbers will be able to help. Would you spend, say 15K on a set of "race" wheels, and use them 5 - 10 times a year, OR would you want to spend 15K and use them on a daily (training) basis? blink.gif

To me i'ts easy, Spend 15k and race 5-10 times a year for 5-10 years, and train with a set of 2k :thumbup:

What's that thingy, inertial mass or something? Look it up. Lighter, stiffer wheels will help ya...

I have a set of Easton EA90 Aero's for training and racing. Recently got myself a set of Gipiemme wheels (from Ha Ha Kieren here on the Hub) mostly for racing with a bit of training as well. They make a huge difference!

Find a set that you can do a bit of both on.

I have a set of Easton EA90 Aero's for training and racing. Recently got myself a set of Gipiemme wheels (from Ha Ha Kieren here on the Hub) mostly for racing with a bit of training as well. They make a huge difference!

I agree, why spend 15k on wheels that you dont use more than a few times a year? (unless you loaded obviouly). There is also the argument for clincher vs tubular. IMHO clincher would be the way to go for a wheel that could be used both for training and for racing.

But there are so many factors, carbon vs ali, tubular vs clincher, aero vs light weight

Confusing!

Bugger that. Win the lotto, and buy the most expensive set of custom Lightweights no money can buy...

I also doubted the "value" of better wheels... then I just dived in purchased a set of Gippiemme wheels from HaHaKieran...

The first thing I noticed was how the bike shed 1kg in mass... that was impressive...

Then you feel how effortlessly it rolls...

This weekend there were long periods where I was standing on my pedals and rolling whilst others were pedaling... superior bearings, design... etc etc etc...

This weekend at the fast one, there was this one guy in my group with deep section carbon wheels.

I thought his wheels was going to snap at any moment!!! If theres a little lateral force, the wheels starts to creak.

When he climbed out of the saddle I thought this is it... It sounded like the rims were hitting the break blocks.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and my bicycle is silent as far as possible. A creak like that would drive me crazy.

I didn't give attention to the sound of carbon wheels until this Sunday,and i would like to know:are all carbon wheels like this?

Was it only this guy's wheels?

I am envious of carbon wheels, but after hearing this noise I'll think twice...

Maybe it's just my jealousy and as soon as I have a pair of my own I'll praise the sheer brilliance of this engineering marvel.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Gunzo

I actually feel quite cool going past people with their deep sections Dure-Ace, Cosmic Carboes,etc using my R3000 Alex 320 wheelset,lol! Train with a cheap heavy pair....and get a decent set for just races, if you imprve 1min, atleast your bike still looks awesome!

I am assuming you are referring to the the wheelset as for a roadie bike - on this I can not comment.

Should you however be referring to a set of wheels for an MTB then the feel and performance is markedly noticeable I do feel.

I went from a set of LX hubbed wheels with Alex rims to a set of Bonti Race Lites and the acceleration and stiffness was amazing. Then I went to a set of Bonti Rhythm Elites and the stiffness is up another notch and with a wider rim section the wheelset also handles larger volume tyre far better with less "rolling" of the carcass at lower pressure.

There is a point though for both the MTB and Roadie rider where spending a wheel barrow full of cash for the latest super duper wheelset is really not sound economics. But a good above average wheelset is worth it in my opinion.