What is acceptable weight for a dual

Vetseun

Juicy... thats my next upgrade. Have systematically replaced everything now the brakes get a turn, any suggestions on a good lightweight brake set.

I think you not doing too bad with 2 bottle cages, barends and pedals.

What brakes are you using?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't 12 a bit on the heavy side.

I have a 5inch trail bike that weights in at 12Kg.

Recon 11Kg is more acceptable.

For 20K not likely! 13 is realistic(including pedals)

I think you not doing too bad with 2 bottle cages, barends and pedals.

What brakes are you using?

Hope x2 or R1's i think are the lightest but $$$'s

I had this baby on the scale at my lbs this morning 11.120kg. Nearly k@kked myself, thought it was way too heavy. My hardtail was under 10kg. But with the insight received so far here, maybe I should shut up and be thankfull.

Looking at your pic, I think that is about the lightest you can go for anything like 'reasonable' money! sure you could knock off 150g or so by going from RaceFace to XTR Cranks, but you look to have pretty much the lightest components without going 'exotic'.

Edited by levett

Hi Bos

I have a photo of the scale reading if you want? :thumbup:

She is a 2009 X2 - KCNC flat bar, Gippiemme XC Kenya Wheels (1400g), SLX everything save for crank.... tubeless...

pm me your cell number, more than willing to mms it to you.

Hi, you dont have to prove it to me, or any one, Just you made it sound like a stock oll "Giant trance 2 with old LX cranks etc etc."

My Scalpel weighs between 9.2 and 9.5kgs depending on tyre choice. Great for racing!

My old Anthem is about 12kgs and there is not a massive difference in speed to be honest!

The pros are getting below 8kgs :o

I also assumed it was a 'standard' X2 that you were referring to.

My X1 has also undergon many changes - the 'standard' components on the X1 are not the lightest - you can save over 1kg with a change of bars, stem, and wheels!

So I think you are correct with the 'now' weight!

Hi Levett

Do you think that I will drop much weight with a stem and seat post change from Race face to KCNC? I saved 100g on the bar change alone... was amazed.

I need new cranks but need to save up for some decent ones.

Love my Anthem, really cant find a fault and it is very strong.

Hi Levett

Do you think that I will drop much weight with a stem and seat post change from Race face to KCNC? I saved 100g on the bar change alone... was amazed.

I need new cranks but need to save up for some decent ones.

Love my Anthem, really cant find a fault and it is very strong.

If you're willing to 'spend', then I think you can save quite a lot of weight! RaceFace Bars, Stems, and Seatposts are (relatively) quite heavy - I'm guessing, but I think you could save:

50 to 100g on the stem

100g on the seatpost (at least)

20g to 30g on the seatpost clamp

etc. etc.

The Trance X1 has a 'stock weight' of 12.8Kg, and comes with Mavic 317 Rims and DT Swiss 370 Hubs - Changing to American Classics will save approaching 350g

So, if you've willing to 'upgrade' to (better than) X0 spec, below 11.5Kg is feasable (for a significant cost!)

• 1 year later...

I would love to see all the sub 12 kg. bikes on my personal scale with sealant, proper tubeless tyres, pedals and bar-ends on a mid level bike.

Happy to oblige - just picked up my dual Anthem X Advanced from the shop yesterday. Put it together from various (mainly new, but some old) bits and pieces. Weighs in at 11.6kg including standard XT group, tubeless Continental Race Kings, sludge and fairly heavy Deore pedals (no bar ends though...). The whole project cost me just under R20k, so its definitely doable.

Happy to oblige - just picked up my dual Anthem X Advanced from the shop yesterday. Put it together from various (mainly new, but some old) bits and pieces. Weighs in at 11.6kg including standard XT group, tubeless Continental Race Kings, sludge and fairly heavy Deore pedals (no bar ends though...). The whole project cost me just under R20k, so its definitely doable.

Oh ja, that's for an XL frame and standard XT wheels. So you shorties out there should be able to shave off another few hundred grams easily...