What is acceptable weight for a dual

Vetseun

Max R20k

I think you might struggle to get under 12kg for R20k...

My 2008 Anthem X1 weighs in @ about 12

with XT pedals & drivetrain and Elixir CR brakes

Easton bar (carbon) and stem

Thomson seatpost and Gobi saddle

Hope hubs and ZTR 355 rims. Crossmark UST rims

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So true, and it didnt cost you thousands of rands

my mongoose stock standard currently 14.5 kg but that is fine as my weight was 106kg.after the silly season with plenty of riding my weight has come down to 99kg therefore it feels as if my bike only weighs 7.6 kg.one of these days my bike will weigh nothing.

I think you might struggle to get under 12kg for R20k...

My 2008 Anthem X1 weighs in @ about 12

with XT pedals & drivetrain and Elixir CR brakes

Easton bar (carbon) and stem

Thomson seatpost and Gobi saddle

Hope hubs and ZTR 355 rims. Crossmark UST rims

but then...

Monark:

My Anthem X2 weighs 12.1kg with pedals and sealant!

It is still running the stock LX cranks and heavy crossmark wheels... could easily be in the 11's with carbon cranks and some thinner wheels... :thumbup:

Monark Im not trying to be mean here or that you would lie about such a stupid little thing but, just that I think there might be some" discrepancy's " when it comes to scales etc..

I hope to get one when i am in SA in July.

Check out the new split pivot(sekuma)...150mm of travel from Morewood while you at it...looks like a trail beast :thumbup:

my feeling with dual sussers...lighter isn't always better...build bike around your application but between 12-13kg is a good mark

The 11 to 12 kg bracket for a full suspesion is very acceptable. I recently built a Merida 96 Team, and after riding a lightweight hardtail weighing in at 10 kg, I was not happy with the 11kg of the Team, and it took alot of effort to get my size large bike below 10.5 kg. The Merida 96 Team is advertised as 9.5 kg, but then again, that is a size medium without pedals and sealant, and with lightweight non-UST tyres.

Any weight saving on a bike needs to be expressed as a percentage of the total rider and kit and bike weight.

e.g. You sell your 13kg bike for an 11kg bike you are not shaving 15% but rather closer to 1.6% (in my case I weigh 102kg with 7kg kit).

You also have to realise that weight only counts when climbing - not when on flats or descending. You also have to account for decreased reliability of lighter components - especially if you are heavier.

In other words bike weight should not be a major consideration in bike purchase unless you planning on winning races - in which case your sponsor will choose a bike for you.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

Since the Agent now rides a dual, one of his buddies rode it last night, now he also wants one.

My question to all you clever hubbers out there is: what is the acceptable weight for a stock standard mid price range dual suspension mtb. No pimping to save weight, straight off the shop floor.

Shot

All values approx.

11.5kg - XC

13kg - Trail

15kg - Am

18kg - FR

19kg - DH

Hi Bos

I have a photo of the scale reading if you want? :thumbup:

She is a 2009 X2 - KCNC flat bar, Gippiemme XC Kenya Wheels (1400g), SLX everything save for crank.... tubeless...

pm me your cell number, more than willing to mms it to you.

My Scott Spark came in at 13 KG on a Parktool Digital Meter.

Getting weenie crazy I'm hoping for 11.5 KG.unsure.gif

Yeah, my Trance is 11.5kg

I think the 'stock weight' of my 2008 Trance X1 (XT/RaceFace/Juicy 5's) in Medium was around 12.8kg.

If we're talking 'complete' with pedals and a sensible saddle, I think you're talking 12 to 13kg in the 20K price range.

I think the 'stock weight' of my 2008 Trance X1 (XT/RaceFace/Juicy 5's) in Medium was around 12.8kg.

If we're talking 'complete' with pedals and a sensible saddle, I think you're talking 12 to 13kg in the 20K price range.

Ive only got a few of the original parts on the bike now. I will need to get it checked out again, as something doesn't seem right to me then.

I had this baby on the scale at my lbs this morning 11.120kg. Nearly k@kked myself, thought it was way too heavy. My hardtail was under 10kg. But with the insight received so far here, maybe I should shut up and be thankfull.

I think you not doing too bad with 2 bottle cages, barends and pedals.

What brakes are you using?