Construction 99er RIP-OFF

TheSaint

Personally I think that this event's late entry is a total rip-off. Just because it is a seeding event for the Argus, is it necessary to charge R280! :thumbdown: An early entry is R170. That means an additional R110 is added for a late entry. :( What warrants this price hike!

"Has cycling become an elitist sport!" This was a headline in the Cape Argus last week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think that this event's late entry is a total rip-off. Just because it is a seeding event for the Argus, is it necessary to charge R280! :thumbdown: An early entry is R170. That means an additional R110 is added for a late entry. :( What warrants this price hike!

"Has cycling become an elitist sport!" This was a headline in the Cape Argus last week.

Cycling has ALWAYS been an elitist sport

EVERY YEAR some negative Hubber gets an itch in their pants about the 99er fees. EVERY freakin year! It's not going to get cheaper, it WILL be incredibly popular and you will come over as a negative bitch moaner (which your are).

Vote with your money. DON'T ENTER!!!! Go ride your bike somewhere where your cheap sensibilities won't be offended. Thousands of others don't mind as they want Argus seedings.

Use it, don't use it, but just know that you are so unbelievable unoriginal it's not even remotely funny

Vote with your money.

I really don't know why this expression is so popular. Who ever heard of a successful one man boycott? (When said person is joe bloggs, not justin bieber or similar person with public influence)

280 is a lot of moola for late entry...

I strive not to complain about anything in life without deep reason. AND wanna see cycling as a whole bringing peoples closer, rather than further away.

I live 300km from CT. I usually decide a week before if I can go. The late entry is too expensive. This weekend the Wesbank race in Oudtshoorn takes place and the entry is R90. Not as big as 99er, but the same organising, with a lot more activity for the family at the finish

CC307, is the only reason you joined the hub, to rant about the entry fees. Surely you know that late entries are more than early entries.

This price increase would cover the added short notice for getting more medical staff, event staff, etc. Surely in the business world you would charge more for someone giving short notice and requiring urgent attention? The same as a race - there are people that have been organised for the race day and now there are a whole lot of people (not just you), who decide at the last moment that they want to enter the race.

As my wife says,"as jy dom is, moet jy suffer".

p.s. I am in no way affiliated to any of the organising committee, but surely this is all common sense? Or am I just a forward thinking person?

CC307, I must admit what some guys said before does carry some weight BUT getting told to go ride your bike somewhere else because you don't feel like getting ripped off is bull****. I try to ride every weekend race possible but can't always afford it. This does not make me cheap. As an example, the Franschoek MTB race last weekend I paid R60 entry. Excellent race organising, awesome route and they give you a water bottle instead of medal. Someone used their brains for a change.

Just my 2cents.

Enter on time , like the rest of us. Or take up road running, they like to bitch a lot there as well....you will feel at home there.

I'm with the whingers here. R170 is fine, I can swallow that. I can swallow a R50 is so increase. But the R280.00 just seems a bit steep and I think they're using their seeding status infairly. As to entering early, some of us have cut up our credit cards (chiefly because of walking into bike shops) and don't do online entries anymore (online being, in itself, elitist).

It is tough to pay, even R170, if one's moola is tight.

Wanna acknowledge that.

Not everyone is able or comfortable to pay.

So, if you are privileged to afford it. Enjoy your privilege! :rolleyes:

Eish, you guys are harsh with this poor chap. I also feel a R110-00 "late entry penalty" is a bit steep. All the organising is already done, marshalls, medical staff, waterpoints etc already organised/paid for. All they have to do is a bit of extra admin to do the late entry/seed the entry. Bit of effort, agreed, but R110-00 worth of effort, I DO NOT THINK SO.

EVERY YEAR some negative Hubber gets an itch in their pants about the 99er fees. EVERY freakin year! It's not going to get cheaper, it WILL be incredibly popular and you will come over as a negative bitch moaner (which your are).

Vote with your money. DON'T ENTER!!!! Go ride your bike somewhere where your cheap sensibilities won't be offended. Thousands of others don't mind as they want Argus seedings.

Use it, don't use it, but just know that you are so unbelievable unoriginal it's not even remotely funny

Hahahaha, perfect response...

enter in time next time round...

Edited by Rude

I refuse to pay R170 for a "normal' funride - argus seeding event or not. With more people entering the economies of scale are lower - entries should be cheaper, trying to bring riders into the sport.

Just another money making racket!

As for the Argus R270 (or whatever) - the Argus is just special.