My New Gadget

i've had one for about three months now' date=' and i still can't work out all the features. but for what i need, it's brilliantThumbs%20Up

scotty and ianj will know about the google earth bit.
[/quote']

have you tried reading the manual?LOL

you know i struggle with the big words...Confused

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wanted to get the 305 but after a few beers and half a pizza I decided to rather get the Quest . Main reason was that I actaully wanted a proper GPS to use in da truck . But this little thing got 20 hour battery life and on a race I just chuck it into the backpack and it records my track .

Errr Garmap software?? Would that be the other CD that came in the box?

there should be one training centre and one garmap disc in the box. you do still have the box, don't you?

How does this compare to Polar, in terms of usability and relyability. I am a loyal polar user, but realy like the GPS functions and am considering changing, especialy as the edge is pretty cheep compared to polar. Also what is after sales service like. is there a place in SA who can fix / service the garmin?

Yup there should be 2, one for Garmap fitness and one for Garmap road map. The fitness one has a basic pic of your route while the road map one breaks it down to street level, even street number level using the search facility.

How does this compare to Polar' date=' in terms of usability and relyability. I am a loyal polar user, but realy like the GPS functions and am considering changing, especialy as the edge is pretty cheep compared to polar. Also what is after sales service like. is there a place in SA who can fix / service the garmin?[/quote']

Servicing is done by Avnic trading (Garmin distributors) in North Riding JHB.

I recently had to take mine in under warranty cos water somehow got in, 2 days later they replaced it with a complete new unit in a box (including the HR strap, cadence sensor etc) so now I have spares of everything. Big%20smile

Any one know where one can get attachements, its costing me a small fortune in cable ties swopping the unit between bikes.

have you tried reading the manual?LOL

you know i struggle with the big words...Confused

big words...   thats right you spend to much time in d-e-t-e-n-t-i-o-n when you were in school.LOLLOL

muxaman Fandacious is very cluedup with the software and the hows and do's ect ect. he gave me some very useful info. I have been using my 305 since july and really love it . I find the Sportstracks are the best and easy to use www.zonefivesoftware.com you can download it free and once you have done that there is an option under the daily activities that you can export your rides to google earth and you save them under your places. there should be a cd called fitness version 1 in the box that has mapsoursce that you should install and by plotting a route you can then save it as a gpx file and this you can then import into google earth. only one thing is you dont have a profile then of the route but there is a way of getting it bit tricky . i will look for the post and ping it you can check the links.

enjoy the garmin nice toy oh by the way Skye is also an expert with a Garmin too

As for the Google Earth question. As far as I understand you can take your files (of the route you rode) and load it into Google earth to view your ride. The catch is that the basic free Google Earth version you get is not enough to create your own route on Google Earth' date=' even though you can view somebody else's route. You need to upgrade your Google Earth software, wich comes with a  yearly subscription fee.[/quote']

Not true!

If you want to load data directly from your GPS device into Google Earth, you need the "plus" version.

However you can load any (compatible) data file into normal free Google Earth.

mountain_lion2007-11-02 01:07:31

Looks like I have something to do this weekend. Going to enjoy this. Can't wait to get away from work and try some of this stuff out.

nou is ek sommer jaloers -nog iets om op die kersfees lysie te sit.

hier hang nie 'n tweedehaanse 1 rond nie?