Contador - CAS ruling. (All things Contador/doping - merged)

sychosid

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also misses the Olympics.

no worries for him and all the other climbers really, seen the profile, it is made for Cav

no man... not at all...

just saying its another statistic...

Yeah.

I don't believe in coincidence.

no worries for him and all the other climbers really, seen the profile, it is made for Cav

Freire is going to take it.

read this :

So I have to some what agree with markus141592 about your opinion article Frankie. Where are your facts! Maybe UCI and McQuaid wanted to cover this up as they already knew based upon previous history of clenbuterol cases (see below) that the 50 picograms was an insignificant amount. As for Rule 2.1.1 even WADA is not standing behind that rule see "different cases different sactions" at the end. Yes Frankie : All athletes in all sports under WADA have to follow this rule; it’s the same for everyone. The problem is WADA does not consistently enforce this rule. So I went out and did research on this. Below are numerous links and statements from those links regarding clenbuterol, other cases, professional statements which is what I would have expected you to provide Frankie. WADA statement on clenbuterol June 15, 2011 Following current media interest in relation to clenbuterol, WADA wishes to clarify the following: 1. Clenbuterol is a prohibited substance and there is no threshold under which this substance is not prohibited. 2. At present there is no plan to introduce a threshold level for clenbuterol. 3. It is possible that under certain circumstances the presence of a low level of clenbuterol in an athlete sample can be the result of food contamination. However, each case is different and all elements need to be taken into account. 4. Under the World Anti-Doping Code, result management of cases foresees the opportunity for an athlete to explain how a prohibited substance entered his/her body. 5. Next week, WADA laboratory experts will meet, as they do regularly, and amongst other issues will discuss the situation with regards to clenbuterol. No decision will be taken at this meeting and any recommendation will then be reviewed and discussed at the WADA Health, Medical and Research Committee in view of the preparation of the 2012 List. 6. The power to take a decision and to adopt the 2012 List is vested to the WADA Executive Committee, composed equally of the Sport Movement and Governments, that will meet in September. WADA will refrain from making any further comment regarding clenbuterol until the review process has been completed. Read more: http://www.wada-ama.org/en/News-Center/Articles/WADA-statement-on-clenbu... WADA has dropped cases of clenbuterol doping against 5 Mexican Soccer players and Danish Cyclist Phillip Nielsen, both cases had the accused athletes claiming tainted beef, in these two cases Mexican beef. This goes to item 3 on WADA's list above. Read more: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/10/news/wada-drops-clenbuterol-case-... Read more: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/10/news/wada-drops-another-clenbuter... Yet for Alberto's case WADA states specifically that during the November hearing "According to Spanish newspaper El Pais, various experts will represent WADA and seek to prove that a transfusion is the most likely origin of the rider’s clenbuterol positive." Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10395/Lie-detector-test-in-Contador-ca... Additionally I assert that UCI and WADA should be a threshold for the amount of clenburetrol that would get an athlete suspended. That amount should be an amount that would "enhance the athletes performance". The sport's governing body stated that the concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0,000 000 000 05 grams per ml), which is 400 times less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA are required to detect. The major points brought up by Dr. de Boer's opinion are as follows: Alberto Contador underwent sport drug testing during many days of the 2010 Tour de France, including July 19, 20, 21, and 22. No Clenbuterol was detected in any of the tests prior to July 21. An extremely low trace concentration of Clenbuterol was found in the urine sample taken on July 21; the concentration found in the urine sample taken on July 22 was even lower. The half-life of Clenbuterol is 25-39 hours. These facts show that Clenbuterol was ingested after the urine testing on July 20 in an amount that could have never enhanced his performance. There are numerous documented cases of humans ingesting Clenbuterol accidentally by eating meat from animals that have been fed the substance to stimulate growth. Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5837/UCI-says-Alberto-Contadors-Tour-d... Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5837/UCI-says-Alberto-Contadors-Tour-d... Read more on Dr. Dourwe de Boer statement - this is 11 pages make sure you click on the previous/next in the upper right http://www.velonation.com/Photos/Photo-Album/mmid/614/mediaid/564.aspx Different cases, different sanctions Jessica Hardy: The American swimmer tested positive during the U.S. Olympic trials in 2008 and received a one-year ban. WADA initially tried to extend the ban to two years, but lost in CAS. Hardy claims her positive came from a tainted nutritional supplement. Josephine Onyia: The Nigerian-born Spanish track and field athlete won a gold medal in the 100m hurdles during the 2008 world athletics final, yet tested positive for both clenbuterol and methylhexaneamine in 2008. The Spanish federation initially cleared her, but WADA challenged it to CAS, which handed down a two-year ban. Fuyu Li: The Chinese cyclist on RadioShack is serving a two-year ban after testing positive in a control in Belgium in April 2010, just days after returning to Europe from China. Speaking to VeloNews, Li said that he was sure that meat triggered his positive, but Chinese officials decided to wait to see what happens in Contador’s case. That might be too late for Li, whose ban runs through early next year. Zhou Mi: Hong Kong-based badminton star is serving a two-year ban after testing positive for clenbuterol in 2010. Now pregnant, Zhou Mi missed a deadline to appeal her case to CAS. She claims her positive came from eating tainted pork in China. Dimitrij Ovtcharov: The Ukrainian-born German table tennis player tested positive for clenbuterol in September, 2010, after a trip to China. He later provided hair samples, which helped his defense. German and international table tennis officials dropped the case and WADA did not challenge it to CAS. Alessandro Colo: The Italian cyclist tested positive for clenbuterol during the 2010 Vuelta a Mexico. Despite supporting evidence that the positive could have come from a possible food contamination, the Italian anti-doping agency still gave him a one-year ban, citing rules that outline “strict liability” of what’s found inside an athlete’s system. Philip Nielsen: The Danish cyclist also tested positive during the 2010 Tour of Mexico and was acquitted by a Danish sports tribunal. Earlier this month, WADA withdrew its appeal before CAS. Mexican footballers: Five Mexico footballers tested positive for clenbuterol in June 2011 and, just a day before the Nielsen case, WADA dropped its appeal before CAS to challenge the Mexican Football Federation’s decision to clear the players of doping. U-17 World Cup: FIFA revealed that players from 19 of 24 teams competing in an Under-17 World Cup in Mexico this summer had traces of clenbuterol in their systems, with 109 of 208 samples coming back positive. Both FIFA and WADA declined to prosecute the cases, citing possible food contamination as the culprit. Read More: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/10/news/clenbuterol-bans-uneven-as-c... In closing drug testing is good for all sports but only if the organizations and testing groups have clear cut black and white rules so there is no opportunity for something as crazy as this issue with clenbuterol. Additionally sanctioning and testing bodies should provide timely resolution of positive test results for prohibited substances. No athlete should be left hanging for 18 months

then so should Lance, if you follow this sort of reasoning

Agreed, my reasoning is ANYONE who takes drugs wins races and takes the money/prizes ect should give it all back cause you stole it and did not win on your own you dont deserve it.

Agreed, my reasoning is ANYONE who takes drugs wins races and takes the money/prizes ect should give it all back cause you stole it and did not win on your own you dont deserve it.

+1 :thumbup:

Good ! where there is smoke there is fire . to make good he should return all his winnings he earned too.

There is also a 2.4 Million Euro fine hanging over him....

From cyclingnews.com

Edited by splat

I think this only having 6 months of his ban left a joke - he should be banned for 2 years from now.

shows that the UCI is not cleaning itself up properly.

All his results since the infringement will be nullified – so it would be as if he had never taken part in those events. Hence the 6 months left.

I think?