Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure I can sort of do that with google maps/my tracks/endomondo/strava, so it's not the end of the world if I get lost

Yes. You should be fine. Just pin your start location on your phone and when/IF you get really lost you have the general heading to navigate towards. And if all else fails just back track the whole route.

Thank you.....later.

Awesome

Free maps for your Garmin 800 ( and others I suspect), you can thank me later!

I use Garmin basecamp to view them and also to transfer them to my Garmin.

http://openmtbmap.org/

Rode Van Gaalens yesterday for the 1st time. wow!!! I agree, got to be one of the best places to ride. Pity it's 75km from Edenvale, or i'd be there every weekend. Even met Eric, on his way to meditate at the Greek Church or so he says.

The only negative was the route markings as a first timer, especially at the splits, we found a few boards broken laying on the ground so couldn't work out which way the arrow was supposed to be pointing. Luckily we hooked up with 2 guys, not sure where but we were riding next to an old railway line, they knew where everything was, which made for an awesome ride.

Just some suggestions

The map handed at the start is useless (and i'm a military trained cartographer, so I know how to read even the most basic of maps), even the emergency number is missing a digit. If you gonna go to the trouble of making a map to hand to 1st timers then at least make a decent map.

We all know that direction boards get stolen, turned, broken or thrown in the bush. So why not paint this on something more permanent, especially when coming up to a split in the trail.

Marker points should be numbered, so if you call for emergency you can at least tell them at which number point or which was the last number point you passed so they can find you.

Escape routes back to the start, I saw this for the 1st time at Big Red Barn which is great when you've had a mechanical you can't fix and have to walk. Or if you in the the Hurtbox :huh:

Indicating all the names of the climbs and routes on the map would make it a lost easier to follow, and know where you are.

I'm not ranting so please don't start flaming me, i'm simply making a few suggestions to make a great trail awesome. I loved the place and will certainly go back soon, (to get lost) maybe after my 5th or 6th ride i'll know where I am.

:thumbup: to Eric, that guy has such passion and knows his stuff

:)

sounds like all valid points.

Always amazes me that routing/marking is not focused on the new rider. it's important to them, regular riders seldom need marking.

Marking should be shown to the new guy, and asked, did this work, help.

As for the names of sections, it makes it personalised,

As for the board numbers on back of boards, informing people where you are when lost or hurt, it's a basic idea, but so valid.

PS: let me know when you go again, might try and wangle it so that I can ride with.

G

Rode Van Gaalens yesterday for the 1st time. wow!!! I agree, got to be one of the best places to ride. Pity it's 75km from Edenvale, or i'd be there every weekend. Even met Eric, on his way to meditate at the Greek Church or so he says.

The only negative was the route markings as a first timer, especially at the splits, we found a few boards broken laying on the ground so couldn't work out which way the arrow was supposed to be pointing. Luckily we hooked up with 2 guys, not sure where but we were riding next to an old railway line, they knew where everything was, which made for an awesome ride.

Just some suggestions

The map handed at the start is useless (and i'm a military trained cartographer, so I know how to read even the most basic of maps), even the emergency number is missing a digit. If you gonna go to the trouble of making a map to hand to 1st timers then at least make a decent map.

We all know that direction boards get stolen, turned, broken or thrown in the bush. So why not paint this on something more permanent, especially when coming up to a split in the trail.

Marker points should be numbered, so if you call for emergency you can at least tell them at which number point or which was the last number point you passed so they can find you.

Escape routes back to the start, I saw this for the 1st time at Big Red Barn which is great when you've had a mechanical you can't fix and have to walk. Or if you in the the Hurtbox :huh:

Indicating all the names of the climbs and routes on the map would make it a lost easier to follow, and know where you are.

I'm not ranting so please don't start flaming me, i'm simply making a few suggestions to make a great trail awesome. I loved the place and will certainly go back soon, (to get lost) maybe after my 5th or 6th ride i'll know where I am.

:thumbup: to Eric, that guy has such passion and knows his stuff

Edited by awesme

Thanks Rouxtie and Mike Bike for the advice on Friday. We went there on Sunday and only had a short time to ride, but we managed to hit the "river track" up to the concrete bridge and then get to the church for a cup of tea, which was awesome. I'll definitely be going back there asap. Hopefully next time will be for a full day though, and I can go ride a proper loop and get to know the whole farm. I'll probably get lost, but who cares. As long as the trail is sweet and the sun is shining, I'm okay with being lost.

Thanks Rouxtie and Mike Bike for the advice on Friday. We went there on Sunday and only had a short time to ride, but we managed to hit the "river track" up to the concrete bridge and then get to the church for a cup of tea, which was awesome. I'll definitely be going back there asap. Hopefully next time will be for a full day though, and I can go ride a proper loop and get to know the whole farm. I'll probably get lost, but who cares. As long as the trail is sweet and the sun is shining, I'm okay with being lost.

Pleasure brother, might do a ride there this weekend. Let me know if you keen to join. Will show you da best of fun gaalens

• 3 weeks later...

I heard there is a trail run event at VG this weekend. Does anyone know if we can still ride tomorrow morning?