Tour of South Africa Shocking

W1Z@RD

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was standing on Christiaan de Wet just below the KOM1 line and the cars comming down from Ontdekkers were only stopped at the very last minute. I'm just glad I was not a motorist on the route. It will be very frustrating to be stopped for no apparent reason and wait for 10 minutes.

The rest day will allow some course-correcting (pun intended) for the organisers.

It is also about teamwork between CSA, law enforcement, volunteers, and, ultimately too, the public.

All the best, CSA, with the next steps!

I did not see much of the metro police?? Think they all stopped for KFC.

The first block in Soweto was not that bad, the cyclists managed to get through and on their way, I can relate to that, the traffic in Soweto are not use to cyclist passing through, but for the other stops?? Hell I think appalling is an understatement

...just pages through the Times morning paper and would you believe not a single breath on the tour or its associated shambles. Report only the good stuff I see!!

The first block in Soweto was not that bad, the cyclists managed to get through and on their way, I can relate to that, the traffic in Soweto are not use to cyclist passing through, but for the other stops?? Hell I think appalling is an understatement

I saw about five cars sneaking into the convoy on Van Onselen.

I have followed this thread closely since yesterday. It is amazing how many Hubbers just jump into this posting and spew forth their own perception without reading what other Hubbers who were there AND took part in the proceedings reported previously.

I have followed this thread closely since yesterday. It is amazing how many Hubbers just jump into this posting and spew forth their own perception without reading what other Hubbers who were there AND took part in the proceedings reported previously.

Yes your so right I just jumped in and posted my opinion, to read through 15 pages hell no but maybe I should have

The third stoppage - on Sandton Drive - was poorly handled. We were near the tail of the convoy and we were left stranded in the middle of a big intersection. If it was just a little further along the road the intersection would have been open. Almost got taken out by a dude doing a U-turn. :angry:

The question is, would the transport of The president, JM, Winnie, ets be handeled the same or would they have open clear roads the rest of the way?

We have got a lot to learn! Why did CSA not involve someone like ASO, this is a huge International event, sadly nobody knows about it due to the lack of advertising.

CSA should wake up and smell the roses. Two major blunders in succession at the country’s most important events.

There was a funny moment when the head comm told the riders the stage was cancelled and they would have to ride back to Monte. Most of the Euros laughed, got on their bikes, did a 180 and headed back to their hotel, which was they'd passed about four or five kays back.

One dude wheelied nearly all the way up the hill they had just come down!

The question is, would the transport of The president, JM, Winnie, ets be handeled the same or would they have open clear roads the rest of the way?

ANC's HQ is opposite my office. It ain't pretty when the head honchos visit the office.

I see thet have now interactive route maps on the site. http://www.tourofsa.co.za/

i tried to figure out were to go to watch the race. Plotted all the GPS coordinates from the site on mapmyride, no wonder no one knew what intersection to man. (see pic)

post-1415-0-90460400-1298269577.jpg

There is nothing that CSA or anybody would be able to do with knobs in their vehicles just ignore the closures. South Africans, especially in JHB, aren't patient on the roads and in general have a dislike towards cyclists! I wonder if they would have waited for clearing of the road if there was an accident?

If you look at how well the rolling road closures worked during day 1 there was no reason the doubt it working for day 2. Problem is the motorists.