Tour of South Africa Shocking

W1Z@RD

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most sponsors are interested in the exposure they'll get as opposed to the event itself. Whether the event ended in Joberg or in a mielie field somewhere, the tv would still air it, both locally and overseas. I think a well organised and happy ending would a be preferable to what has happened, regardless of where it started and finished.

I can understand why motorists are so angry at cyclists. This was just before they closed the road for the race. And they were not the only group.

post-21-0-37967200-1298273680.jpg

nothong wrong with this pic? I see a cyclist pulling in front and as the other cyclist comes past to take the front, the pic was taken

Nevermind Cell C I wonder what Supersport are thinking about the whole fiasco, surely they must have paid big bucks for the TV rights only to have bad picture quality and half a broadcast

Agree with the views - the marketing has been shocking. Nowhere on any media (exept on Super cycling which is not that widely viewed) was the tour promoted and the temporary road closures advertised. CSA just didn't do their job - plain and simple. What a disgrace. How will we attract big European teams with this type of circus?

It seems to me that most people in South Africa hate each other so much, it's becoming a sport on it's own and a passion. They have a total disregard for life and has no humanity left in them. You have to pay road taxes if you are a road cyclist or a runner or perhaps even a pedestrian. If you don't pay taxes, even if you have a vehicle at home which you pay road taxes for, you are not welcome on the roads with your bicycle or as a runner. That is the attitude of people if you read all the remarks of the Beeld article bellow. The people's tongs are turned into forks and I'm disgusted and appalled as a human being that there are so much hatred in this world of ours, it's not a race issue anymore, it's people having no regard to fellow humans.

Onbeskofte Sandton-motoriste steek stok in fietsren se wiel

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Onbeskofte-Sandton-motoriste-steek-stok-in-fietsren-se-wiel-20110220

Fully agree on what a poor showing this is. I understand it's the first year so there would be some problems, but come on - the on screen info (or lack thereof) is ridiculous, the image quality looked like something from the 80's and the camera work was appaling. I watched about 5 minutes of the 10,000ft view of the breakaway on Saturday and got so bored I gave up watching.

I really feel sorry for Phil - he's had a tough time commentating on this one!

Surely CSA should have taken a leaf out of the Cape Epic broadcasts which were much more entertaining and professional?

I think most sponsors are interested in the exposure they'll get as opposed to the event itself. Whether the event ended in Joberg or in a mielie field somewhere, the tv would still air it, both locally and overseas. I think a well organised and happy ending would a be preferable to what has happened, regardless of where it started and finished.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ..... ending the tour in a mealie field for the next three years and showing pre-recorded aerial shots of the "rich and diverse cultural history" would have been so much better than never having the tour again.

Johann van Zyl (Toyota CSA), wat saam met Christopher Jennings (Burgos 2016) voor gejaag het toe die ren gestop is, het gesê hy kon sien hoe die beamptes en die polisie hul bes probeer om die kruisings in Sandton te beveilig.

Ek trek als terug wat ek gese het :thumbup:

I was one of the motorcycle marshalls on both stage 1 & 2, and with out getting too involved in the bickering of who should carry the can, it was quite interesting to notice the differance in the attitude of the Tshwane and Johannesburg motorists.

Tshwane people seem to be far more law abiding and accepting of events being held through their streets. The attitude of the Johburg motorists seem to get worse as we got closer to the "money belt". It is quite clear that Metro has absolutley no authority nor respect, and our motorists just don't give a ****. Come on guys it was a Sunday!! I would just like to thank the Think Bike guys for putting the lives at risk and taking all kinds of abuse in an attempt to do what Metro should have done in the first place.

I have to admit the Think Bike guys and motocycle riders who help out on the weekends races do a fantastic job. Thank you to those people that do it.

Look things are always going to go amiss. If youre a business owner something somehow will happen that will be out of your hands and the same can be expected in any type of organisation. However, when it happens, you expect that mistake to be rectified and it not to happen again(CSA)... This is whats known as lessons learnt. If it keeps happening then someone is not doing their job and strategic methods need to adjusted. Why the hell would someone want to make a stage go through Sandton central?

I believe the biggest problem here is not publicising the tour. I am in my car +- 4hours a day. During the months of me being aware of the cycle tour I have heard 2 adverts on the radio. No bill boards, no newspaper ads, no lamp post ads. As with PE, the residents are unaware and can understand them getting peeved about road blockages. Of course PTA would work better, it does not have the congestion like Sandton, its more open with multiple detours.

What comes to mind here is just not enough time for planning. The logistics and planning behind this tour is massive. Can you imagine how many turnoffs there are on a average day in the saddle? You needs months and months of preparation. I personally think this tour was thrown together ASAP because of there being no more GIRO and it was just too much too soon. That being said, the Garden route should go without a hitch. Lots of open areas and if you take the Rapport into account, Garden route used to always be a winner. As for taking the cycling to the people CSA! Lets rather not(unless its a pro criterium). As for Cell C, lets take the people to the cycling by giving us bus rides to the spectator points. it works in Europe why not here?

Edited by exclusive

anyone on the hub here have any insight as to what's happening in the CSA offices? No on have an aunt or uncle in the office or on the committee at all? I would love to know how they plan to handle this since the website is a pointless waste of ip address and the facebook page has gone pretty quiet!

I can understand why motorists are so angry at cyclists. This was just before they closed the road for the race. And they were not the only group.

post-21-0-37967200-1298273680.jpg

mampara, look at all the space between the blue and the white car behind it. Couldn't this driver just go into that gap to pass the cyclists? IS IT SO DIFFICULT? Looks like it for our moronists(OOPS, motorists)?