Tour of South Africa Shocking

W1Z@RD

WHY?

I am from Johannesburg and proud of it, 99% of Johannesburg residents did nothing wrong so why should they be ashamed to be citizen's?.

Perhaps if things were organised better, and people were made more aware and were brought on board with the spirit of the event, things would be differant, this nonsense about " Jhb drivers I am entitled attitude, poor driving and law avoidance story" etc has nothing to do with it, - people have things to do, they need to get to work, to meetings, to offices to hospitals, to church, to schools, where ever, if they are not made aware before hand of the road issues and can make alternative plans, then what do you expect.?

Sorry, I am proud to be a Johannesburg citizen, this is a great city THAT HAS HOSTED THE MOST AWESOME EVENTS IN THE WORLD - dont blame the people, blame the fact people did not know.!!

+100.

& if we are assholes (which we're not) it didnt happen last week, it's been that way for a while - so the organizing and planning has to take account of it.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GoG, i'm blaming both... the lack of communication would've reduced the problems, but not eliminated them. jhb does have the most aggressive folk and marshalling in jhb or jhb north to north-west is a horrid job due to the abusive and bad attitude of the other road useres - their church service/lunch/golf game are always worth driving over cyclists/runners/bikers, and they are more than happy to say so

London / Boston / NY marathons?

Not the same mate and you know it.

These are massive events and televised the world round, the planning is meticulous and people are brought on board six months before the event.

The races are so well known people from all over the world converge and plan 12 months before the time to spectate - who knew of this event.?

You can't compare any of those events to this.

I have done London and New York and there are so many spectators it looks like the whole City is there to watch.

They get the people involved but there are still routes to travel without to much disruption.

I so want to watch CSA squirm on TV when they get interviwed. Open the phone lines to the public an lets voice our dissapointment

CSA has lost all credibility with the cycling public

Guest agteros

I have done London and New York and there are so many spectators it looks like the whole City is there to watch.

They get the people involved but there are still routes to travel without to much disruption.

Bigger cities, more routes,yes. Affected areas still 'shut down'

Can't blame a fact. Can we rather blame the organisation for not making the race well known?

I dont want to lay blame TNT1, but I will also not accept blame for been a JHB citizen. Most of us are good honest law abiding citizens who just want to go about our day and go home to braai and have a beer, thats it, make people aware and get them on board and in my opinion the people of JHB will go out of there way to support and assist.

As a good example, I played golf at Dainfern this whole weekend, its just up the drag, no-one, and I mean no-one knew there was an event on.

How can it be successfull.?

As a good example, I played golf at Dainfern this whole weekend, its just up the drag, no-one, and I mean no-one knew there was an event on.

How can it be successfull.?

Yip. 100%

About the blame, I just want dickens to please explain. I could do with a good laugh...

Yeah, I agree, I have also done NY, I arrived 10 days before the event, there were billboards, leaflets, signs, newsclippings, tv screens, the event is so well planned even coffee shops in the city hand out flyers. If you want to compare try closing NY for a egg and spoon race.! Not gonna happen.!

First world, governed, disciplined, mannered, proud, decorum, self esteemed, . . . ?

GoG, i'm blaming both... the lack of communication would've reduced the problems, but not eliminated them. jhb does have the most aggressive folk and marshalling in jhb or jhb north to north-west is a horrid job due to the abusive and bad attitude of the other road useres - their church service/lunch/golf game are always worth driving over cyclists/runners/bikers, and they are more than happy to say so

Bigot?

First world, governed, disciplined, mannered, proud, decorum, self esteemed, . . . ?

..... eish it was like that here 20 years ago?????? ..... is this the real price of "freedom"?????

Edited by Big H

www.cycletoursa.co.za

Guys further to Saints post you can sign up here:

http://www.cycletoursa.co.za/wp-login.php?action=register

Instead of running around dissecting this and pointing blame @ CSA - let's take this by the scruff of the neck and as fellow cyclists - post info snippets - maps - hints and tips insiders - helpful news and let us all as the cycling fraternity get the name out there in one central location and maximise coverage over the next few days of racing - take it out there to the people - sign up share the news - post links to helpful info - if you are a journo use the site as another platform - an independent platform to get the new of the tour out there and build up for some awesome racing over the next week!!!

do your bit - post info and share the news with your friends and colleges

On the other hand it's cool, looking forward to all the bike bargains as everyone turns to running and chess :rolleyes: