Price Terrorists!

Nic0000

Unfortunately this happens on all forums that have a for sale section...

And it will continue to happen...

Each person has an idea or opinion on what stuff should cost...

Also - everyone is looking for that bargain...

And sometimes - it does highlight goods that are well overpriced...

Gotta harden up and take it...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find weird is I posted two laptops on junkmail yesterday, and I am flooded with scam responses via e-mail from west africa. Has junkmail become the new gumtree?

The Hub has become the new Junktree

Agree with the RESPECT angle, but respect is a two way street !

I find it extremely DISRESPECTFULL when sellers insult the Hub's collective IQ by trying to sell "brand new/ never used" items at prices higher than online shops.

Because of possible duties & VAT, I am not referring to comparisons to CRC, but sellers can at least do a bit of homework and check e.g. wheel and groupset prices at the local online shops Planet-X, Buycycle & CWC, BEFORE posting in the for sale section.

If your LBS sold you Mavic Aksium's @ R 2 500 and CWC has them for R 1899, you cannot sell your "as new set, taken off a bicycle never ridden" etc. for R 2 000 - you might think that a 20% discount seems fair, but it is only a ill informed hubber that will be interested.

Expect hubbers to point this out to you and don't be offended.

The knife cuts both ways....thehub might be a sharktank to try and sell items...but if you are buying it will work in your favour. If you want to post an ad on thehub be prepared to take some medicine if you dont have enough info or pics as well as overprice an item, I kinda see these "pricing moderators" as a first line of defence against my friend pastor Ray in Lagos.

getting off my box now :rolleyes:

There is apositive side to this also, I have often seen comments (and made myself) by Hubbers that is purely meant to help a sale. Sometimes we check out bikes similar to our own pride and joy and are not interested in buying, but still and a "bump" reply saying that it is a great bike or a great deal. For this to work, you have to put up with the negative comments, unfortunately.

As wih all things logic and reason is the key.

Personally if I see you selling stuff at higher than CWC prices you're likely to get a sarky comment from me.

CRC is a good reference but only a reference because a lot of the time pricing at CRC seems favourable until you add 14% VAT and the delivery fee (if you're buying under R3,000).

If you have no idea how much your item is worth then do some research - somewhere between CRC and CWC is a good place to start for new goods.

For second hand use the between CRC & CWC pricing and remove a % for age/wear/condition etc.

Like other hubbers said - it's a two way street....

The only thing worse then a price terrorist is someone selling something as "brand new" and it has left the shop. Or a MTB with "the usual MTB sctratches".

The only thing worse then a price terrorist is someone selling something as "brand new" and it has left the shop. Or a MTB with "the usual MTB sctratches".

What's yout take on the "not negotiable" price?

What's yout take on the "not negotiable" price?

If the price is good, I will not negotiate. I've bought a few things and after receiving some of them I actually felt bad that that the person sold it so cheap.

So what did you try and sell that was over priced?

Ha ha... Think of me more as just an observer. The Hub is definitely a "buyers market" which I like because I buy more than I sell!

And yes some fools really do have absurd prices! But like I said, shouldn't one then just move on, maybe make a different offer?

But then you even get guys who offer a 10th of what os already a good price! Mmm

Anyway just a thought

I've bought a few things and after receiving some of them I actually felt bad that that the person sold it so cheap.

Oh. I don't have that problem. I'm so cheap, I should have been an Indian. I negotiate on everything.

So it really gets me when you see these guys who have taken upon themselves to price regulate all the other hubbers!

When someone posts something for sale, the poor guy is attacked and his price beaten down just because

3 months, 2 days, 4 hours and 17 seconds ago someone else sold the same thing for 13.5% less! Or someone can import something

at a better price or the best one yet... Your item should be at least 14% cheaper because you not a VAT vendor! Shows you the intelligence levels! If you not a VAT vendor you can't claim input, thus it should 14% higher if anything?

If a hubber wants to sell for a higher price or even resell something he bought previously to make a profit, isn't that his prerogative? If bike shop A is more expensive then bike shop B, you dont give the former trouble... You just go to the latter.

Should be the same here!

Thanks, rant over!

so we should stand back and watch people rip others off, some of my sales have been "downed" all in the name of "FAIR PLAY" not everyone realizes the correct market value of an item, others just try and rip others off. Some just take chances. What makes the hub great is that we (even through all the infighting) look after each other, we keep the market fair, and help those who dont know. If there was regulating we would be a bunch of guys upping the price and convincing others thats what you need to pay.

counter rant over.

so we should stand back and watch people rip others off, some of my sales have been "downed" all in the name of "FAIR PLAY" not everyone realizes the correct market value of an item, others just try and rip others off.

I don't think it's their intention to rip people off. They just buy stuff from expensive shops, realise that they don't like it and then try to make their money back. So they drop the price 10% but the shop where they bought it is 30% more expensive then any other shop.

I don't think it's their intention to rip people off. They just buy stuff from expensive shops, realise that they don't like it and then try to make their money back. So they drop the price 10% but the shop where they bought it is 30% more expensive then any other shop.

No I agree 100% with you mamparra but you do get chancers out on the hub, take that other bloke i spotted 3 times trying to put different decals on his 2005 recon, and trying to sell it off as a 2009 reba then a 2010 sid, and then a 2010 recon.

There are some special people.

+1. I was just typing this exact same thing. If a price is too high, it may be for a number of reasons. Just be polite & respectful to the OP. :)

This is the Hub bud,where you can count on fellow Hubbers to point out a dodgy or overpriced sale and get the best value for your money.Wouldnt you like to know when your being takin for a ride?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: