Single speed projects

divernick

Very nice! What is the front wheel?

Yes, I know this isn't going to be everybody's 'cup of tea', and I'm sure I'm going to get lots of comments about why I did this or that.

I've actually thought long and hard about if it was even worth posting pics, just to get ripped apart by someone who thinks they have better taste.

Be that as it may, this is my latest ss project that I completed a couple of weeks ago.

ss-look02.jpg

F@&&IT is the word that comes to mind... Thankyou, now I have to post my WIP build on the next page (because it is not nearly as nice as yours).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome awesome awesome bike. Perfect balance of bad ass and city sleek.

Thanks.

That's exactly what I envisaged, but glad to hear that other's see it that way too - A balance of bad ass and city sleek.

Yes, I know this isn't going to be everybody's 'cup of tea', and I'm sure I'm going to get lots of comments about why I did this or that.

I've actually thought long and hard about if it was even worth posting pics, just to get ripped apart by someone who thinks they have better taste.

Be that as it may, this is my latest ss project that I completed a couple of weeks ago.

Before:

look-before.jpg

After:

ss-look01.jpg

ss-look02.jpg

What an amazingly unique looking bike!!

• 2 weeks later...

Still in the initial stages of build.

Still needs:

Front disc wheel and brake

Headset

Chain

Cog

Tensioner

Rear brake cable housing trim

It's going to be my lightweight urban shredder, hence the roadie tyres.

post-19617-0-86045200-1350977025_thumb.jpg

My single speed. . .used to be an old rusted raleigh dikwiel, I got it form my grandpa when I started delivering newspapers a few years back, Had it powdecoated and polised some of the bits etc. I delivered newspapers for three years making it about 4500km with about 25kgs of newspapers(had a crate in front too)

Now I might just use it for the critical mass. . .and best of all it hung in the garage for more than a year, I took ot out and only pumped the wheels and its ready to go, solid bikes these!

post-19000-0-00142900-1351079861_thumb.jpg

It's going to be my lightweight urban shredder, hence the roadie tyres.

How about some leather bartape to finish that "Shredder" look?

My single speed. . .used to be an old rusted raleigh dikwiel, I got it form my grandpa when I started delivering newspapers a few years back, Had it powdecoated and polised some of the bits etc. I delivered newspapers for three years making it about 4500km with about 25kgs of newspapers(had a crate in front too)

Now I might just use it for the critical mass. . .and best of all it hung in the garage for more than a year, I took ot out and only pumped the wheels and its ready to go, solid bikes these!

hope we see this at critical mass on friday nite.

Six year old RC3000 - still usefull. 53x14

Hi, sorry I know this is a really old post but I was just looking at your bike and thought, how cool would a custom paint job be making the tubes all look like coral snakes or milk snakes?http://www.petparadi...n_milksnake.jpg

edit:sp

Edited by Sidewinder.

Last night I statred converting an old Giant Igauna to a single speed. Ihave decided that I am going to use the rear deraileur as tensioners.

My plan is after all to be a cheap skate. But I cant shake the feeling that deraileur is going to move a bit sideway, that chain slide off the single cog and I end up sitting on my nuts.

To keep the deraileur in place I have pulled it into position and then wound the cable around a nut and bolt and fastend. This will keep the tension but I have no peace.

Has anyone else done this ?

Last night I statred converting an old Giant Igauna to a single speed. Ihave decided that I am going to use the rear deraileur as tensioners.

My plan is after all to be a cheap skate. But I cant shake the feeling that deraileur is going to move a bit sideway, that chain slide off the single cog and I end up sitting on my nuts.

To keep the deraileur in place I have pulled it into position and then wound the cable around a nut and bolt and fastend. This will keep the tension but I have no peace.

Has anyone else done this ?

Follow these steps:

• Sort out your chain line by getting the rear cog in the right place on the freewheel
  • Move the limit screws on the derailleur almost all the way in so that it's as good as you can get it.
  • If you still need cable tension to keep the derailleur in place, insert the cable through the barrel adjuster until the part that is normally in the lever pulls tight into the barrel adjuster and tighten the cable fastener.
  • Use the barrel adjuster to fine tune the derailleur position
  • Shorten the chain so that the derailleur cage points forward, about 30deg from horizontal.

Any questions?

Follow these steps:

• Sort out your chain line by getting the rear cog in the right place on the freewheel
  • Move the limit screws on the derailleur almost all the way in so that it's as good as you can get it.
  • If you still need cable tension to keep the derailleur in place, insert the cable through the barrel adjuster until the part that is normally in the lever pulls tight into the barrel adjuster and tighten the cable fastener.
  • Shorten the chain so that the derailleur cage points forward, about 30deg from horizontal.

Any questions?

Excellent post!

Wazza, What tyres are you using?

I am looking for some commuter tyres, but most cross country tyres dont fit in my frame and caliper.

I'm running gators at the moment, but I want something with grip that I can use on singletrack (nothing hectic, of course)... and maybe some colour.

Most grippy tyres have a very high sidewall, and those seem more sleek.

Got me thinking - maybe I should embark on converting my very old Diamond Back Topanga (been gathering dust for many years) into a SS.

Wazza, What tyres are you using?

I am looking for some commuter tyres, but most cross country tyres dont fit in my frame and caliper.

I'm running gators at the moment, but I want something with grip that I can use on singletrack (nothing hectic, of course)... and maybe some colour.

Most grippy tyres have a very high sidewall, and those seem more sleek.

These tyres are great, and come in awesome colours. Only issue is that you'll have to order them from overseas. I haven't been able to find them here in SA (yet). They're called Duro Fixie Pops.

Follow these steps:

Any questions?

Thanks. I worked perfectly.

If this rain will now just go away so I can ride to work. they dont like me leaving a mud trail all through reception.

Thanks again