Single speed projects

divernick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Current middle ring will work but I recommend something like this to be 100% safe.

http://dialdbikes.co...-chainring.html

32T is a popular choice.

If you are in JHB Id be happy to help with the conversion.

Thanks!

I still need to get a cheap fork and some brakes so if you know of any let me know!

I am in JHB but haven't even started with the build yet, although I might take you up on the offer

What is the cheapest way to go single speed if already have a normal drivetrain?

Dalem, the cheapest way is to just keep your bike in one gear. Do this by locking your rear deraileur in place with the screws that you use to set the limits. Next, break your casset into pieces by removing the bolts that keep it all together. Find another discarded casset and do thr same. This is done to get the spacers.

Now, play around to find the gear ratio that works for you. Middle blade at front and something like 18 at back.

Now stick your selected gear for the back together with the spacers on the hub with the gear aligned with the front blade.

Now remove all the other bits and cables.

This might not be a longterm solution or be very ellegant but it is cheap. The beter solution would be to buy a spacer kit with stronger gear for back as well as a proper chain tensioner

Hope all of that made sense

The build has started! I have been a bit reluctant to get going since I have heard that this is addictive. I will put some pics up once the rest of the parts arrive. Thanks for all the help

We are working on our 3 single speed projects. Actually have been riding them for a while but decided the frames need some colour and the bits needed blinging up for Winterton.

Well the one is mostly complete the other two are still having old paint removed this afternoon. Will get Spandana to post pics of her Yellow Peril.

We are working on our 3 single speed projects. Actually have been riding them for a while but decided the frames need some colour and the bits needed blinging up for Winterton.

Well the one is mostly complete the other two are still having old paint removed this afternoon. Will get Spandana to post pics of her Yellow Peril.

Oh yeah she told me its for SSWC? Will look out for those pics!

Oh yeah she told me its for SSWC? Will look out for those pics!

If I have time will post them here later. The Yellow Peril looks stunning. :eek:

My new ride! Rode it to work this morning :thumbup:

Funky commuter, but that saddle scares me ... how does she fare?