Formula 1...

'Dale

There's also the small matter of $60m that Honda contributes to McLaren's budget

But Mcclaren are struggling to find sponsors because they are just terrible. If they start being competitive with another engine, they cold make that up quite easily with sponsorship money.

Edited by Johny Bravo

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Honda's defense, McLaren have a sole agreement/partnership with them where they were not allowed to supply engines to any other manufacturers. So in Mercedes' first year they supplied four teams, eight cars, Honda has to work with a dataset consisting of two cars. How are you expected to reliably develop an engine when the competition has way more information to work with?

The same thing happened when Renault teamed up with RBR in 2007 and didn't win squat. It takes time. And Honda most likely has one of the biggest racing budgets and R&D backing of any of the teams.

I'm pretty certain a Formula 1 engine isn't as simple to build as a hypercar engine. Also,

They have a contract with Honda, and we don't know whether there is an escape clause in said contract.

Edit: They probably also built their entire chassis to suit the Honda powertrain, it's not as simple as undoing a few bolts and slapping in a new engine.

Remember Braun?  A few spacers and Bob's your uncle - they got it sorted in a couple of weeks

In Honda's defense, McLaren have a sole agreement/partnership with them where they were not allowed to supply engines to any other manufacturers. So in Mercedes' first year they supplied four teams, eight cars, Honda has to work with a dataset consisting of two cars. How are you expected to reliably develop an engine when the competition has way more information to work with?

The same thing happened when Renault teamed up with RBR in 2007 and didn't win squat. It takes time. And Honda most likely has one of the biggest racing budgets and R&D backing of any of the teams.

I agree the excuses are valid, but fact is they were only 1 year behind the other manufacturers in what was a completely new formula for everyone, and the excuse cannot fly indefinitely.  If they are not on the pace by the third or fourth race of this season, McLaren will have no choice but to look to a plan B as soon as they can get out of their Honda contract. 

Thing is, I cannot see why Merc would want to supply them with an engine and potentially go back to the days where their customer routinely beats them...

Edited by dracs

FP2 finished, and no change from last year. Guess I'll be doing the 9 minutes of catchup this season instead of falling asleep in front of the tv.

I agree with you 100 percent. I had hopes that the gap to Mercedes would be closed or even passed this year. No such luck, Mercedes seem even further ahead. As much as I used to love F1, I fear this year I might watch the highlights once every 2 or 3 weeks.

Only caught the second half of the race and while the cars are devastatingly fast, the race was an absolute snooze-fest.

Happy for my man, Vettel.

Here's to hoping that Ferrari can break Mercedes' strangle hold on the sport this year.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

I watched the first bit on my pvr, after Vettel sat behind Lewis for 16 laps I skipped to the end of the race. Overtaking with these new cars are clearly much more difficult. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Verstappen taking the host dude through his amazing first few minutes after his launch from last week's race