Formula 1...

'Dale

Agree with you. But surely, they are building spectacular supercars and hypercars. Honda are building awfull econo boxes?

They also built this, which kicked out at least 260HP/litre, consumed far less fuel than was allowed, and pretty much never blew up or failed.

Let's not forget that between 1988 and 1992 McLaren Honda won 44 races. 

This is just a bad engine, and they are new to the game and are struggling with reliability issues, and most likely have to de-tune the engine to prevent it from damaging itself, whilst they figure out how to make it last.

Honda's racing department has got about as much to do with their production cars as Yamaha's pianos do with their motorcycles.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They also built this, which kicked out at least 260HP/litre, consumed far less fuel than was allowed, and pretty much never blew up or failed.

This is just a bad engine, and they are new to the game and are struggling with reliability issues, and most likely have to de-tune the engine to prevent it from damaging itself, whilst they figure out how to make it last.

Honda's racing department has got about as much to do with their production cars as Yamaha's pianos do with their motorcycles.

Honda were never known for turbocharging. Reliable, yes. High revving motors. Turbo charged hybrid engines are definitely not their strong point. Mcclaren are going to lose Alonso after this year.

Their new NSX is hybrid powered as well, so there's bound to be a lot more tech on both ends. 

The nsx is not even on the same planet as the Porsche 918, LaFerrari or Mclaren P1.

Are you serious?

The NSX costs about $150,000, the P1 cost $1,350,000 at launch in 2013.

A Nissan gtr is cheaper and will run rings around a nsx, so wil a Ferrari 488,911 etc. Brings me back to my original point. If Mcclaren can build a reliable 920hp road car with a hybrid powerplant. Lets see what happens next week in Australia.

A Nissan gtr is cheaper and will run rings around a nsx, so wil a Ferrari 488,911 etc. Brings me back to my original point. If Mcclaren can build a reliable 920hp road car with a hybrid powerplant. Lets see what happens next week in Australia.

So why doesn't McLaren use a Datsun engine then?

What my little brain does not understand, and please educate me here hubbers. But why are Mcclaren using Honda engines? Honda are currently building the most boring dreadfull old people cars I have ever seen. Even the civic type R with all its wings and stickers and red seats gets destroyed by the Focus RS and Golf R. Mcclaren have been building road cars for a long time, think the Mclaren F1, Mp4 12-c, 650s, and the new P1. Which uses a hybrid electric powertrain similar to F1. To my knowledge, Honda have only recently developed that with the new NSX, but its nowhere near the 1000hp levels of the P1. Why cant Mcclaren build their own engines, surely with the hypercars they are producing they have more hope than Honda.

Everyone is asking Eric Boullier that question, coincidently I was watching a replay of the Barcelona tests on Sky F1 channel and the David Croft from sky asked him this exactly.

EB's response was that the F1 engines are in a complete different league to the engines they build for their super cars and that Honda have much more capability / resources wrt engine design and building.

The problem is Honda are relatively new to the current F1 engines and are playing catch up compared to the other F1 engine manufacturers who have been in it consistently.

When asked if they could change to another engine the answer was quite simple, no