Formula 1...

'Dale

What a great race! But you have to feel for Ferrari.... luck and 50/50 calls just not going their way  this season.

I kind of get the feeling that the stewards erred on the side of caution on the LeClerc/ Verstappen incident. To me it was a bit too forceful, and for consistency should have been penalised. But I don't think they wanted a repeat of the Vettel/Ham incident where the first one over the line did not win. That was very very unpopular and put a big dent in F1's popularity, and to have done it at Red Bulls home race in front of all those dutch supporters, would have been another very unpopular one.

And so nice to see Merc, especially Ham struggling!

No sympathy for Ferrari, they are the worst at strategy by a mile. 

Bring Vetel in but dont tell your mechanics to get tyres out.

Start on the soft and have to pit 10 laps early. 

Every decision they make, they should just do the opposite. They would have had a 1-3 at least!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe those who are justifying Max’s overtake in the bend...

Firstly, he brakes too late to make the apex of the corner, therefore he was not in total control of the car! He was never going to be able to leave room for both cars. Therefore, a dangerous maneuver

Secondly, the deliberate late-braking into the corner is only ever going to result in the other driver being “impeded” from getting traction onto the racing line out of the corner and being forced off the track. According to Max, the opponent should have backed off....Really????

And thirdly, while it sounds very mucho to have the attitude of “if that’s not a racing incident then we might as well stay at home” is so blasé when the shoe is on the other foot. My take is: if it’s fair racing to drive an opponent out of the track, then what was pain that Hamilton suffered to incur a 5 point penalty on Vettel? Oh, Hamilton was prevented from overtaking = penalty and Max driving opponent off the track limits = racing incident... (I don’t think I can get over this)

At what point must Le Clerc concede the corner? Max came into the corner in front and was in full lock, he didnt run Charles off the circuit. Good call. Would you only like DRS passes in F1?

Vetel should not have gotten a penalty and Hamilton needs to wake up when driving around an F1 circuit, he is a seasoned driver, should not be making rookie errors.

Professional Foul, I like this category of describing the Max/LeClerc shove.... Anyway, moving along...

I’m not sure that I agree with it being a great drive from Max! (Hear me out on this and then ignore what I’ve stated...)

Max caused a collision/dangerous move/racing incident (whatever one chooses to call it) during a race, and at a time when he clearly had a faster car than anybody else on track. With 3 laps still to complete till the chequered flag, there was plenty of time for him to overtake in a less dangerous/controversial manner. He would absolutely have blitzed past LeClerc further up the road, had he had an inkling of inclination to race fair and hard.

Nevertheless, this is Max Verstappen and there will always be those who see senseless crashes as exciting or part of racing....

BTW I really enjoyed the race and the excitement of thrill-a-minute F1 at its most entertaining

At what point must Le Clerc concede the corner? Max came into the corner in front and was in full lock, he didnt run Charles off the circuit. Good call. Would you only like DRS passes in F1?

Vetel should not have gotten a penalty and Hamilton needs to wake up when driving around an F1 circuit, he is a seasoned driver, should not be making rookie errors.

Good point you make when asking at which point does LeClerc concede the corner...

Why then did Lewis Hamilton get a 5-place grid penalty for impeding Kimi? It’s because he deliberately blocked the corner, preventing Kimi from continuing! Period!

Why is it permissible for Max to overshoot his braking into the corner and still be let to continue? He compromised his own entry, and used the other car’s position to gain an advantage! Period!

I am certainly not advocating only overtaking under DRS, however there has got to be some semblance of what constitutes “Dangerous Behavior” in Motorsport. Otherwise, we may as well call it the Max and Lewis show (or something like that).

So I’d like someone who can explain to me please: At which point did that corner belong to Max? Remember that there are rules...

Lets not forget that Max also left his braking even later to stay behind le Clerc over the detection line so he would have the DRS down the next straight.

he was never going to make that apex, or the corner without forcing the Ferrari wide.

It was a calculated move.

If you don't move I will hit you, BAMMMMM.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Good point you make when asking at which point does LeClerc concede the corner...

Why then did Lewis Hamilton get a 5-place grid penalty for impeding Kimi? It’s because he deliberately blocked the corner, preventing Kimi from continuing! Period!

Why is it permissible for Max to overshoot his braking into the corner and still be let to continue? He compromised his own entry, and used the other car’s position to gain an advantage! Period!

I am certainly not advocating only overtaking under DRS, however there has got to be some semblance of what constitutes “Dangerous Behavior” in Motorsport. Otherwise, we may as well call it the Max and Lewis show (or something like that).

So I’d like someone who can explain to me please: At which point did that corner belong to Max? Remember that there are rules...

technically whoever is ahead, its their corner BUT he was only ahead as a result of braking too late............

technically whoever is ahead, its their corner BUT he was only ahead as a result of braking too late............

In which case he cannot own the corner if he is not in total control of the car.

No sympathy for Ferrari, they are the worst at strategy by a mile. 

Bring Vetel in but dont tell your mechanics to get tyres out.

Start on the soft and have to pit 10 laps early. 

Every decision they make, they should just do the opposite. They would have had a 1-3 at least!

Strategy hasn't been their strong point this season, that's for sure. However, wrt to the Vettel pitstop, apparently there was an issue with the radio communication to the mechanics, so maybe not entirely the teams fault? The call to go with softs was not necessarily a bad call, a lot of the teams were struggling on the mediums. And I can't remember them having to pit so much earlier than the other teams (Vettel and Bottas pitted at the same time).

My sympathy with Ferrari lies in the fact that they have come so close to winning 3 races so far this season. 1 - Bahrain - a mechanical issue for LeClerc with just a couple of laps to go while leading (Ferrari have had very good reliability this season, and the only time in a race where it has gone wrong they happen to be leading the race. Merc has had quite a few mechanical issues, but they always seem to catch it in practice, not in the race). 2 - Vettel penalty in Canada which was very 50/50 and now 3 - the 50/50 no penalty on Verstappen.

But yes, other times this season their strategy has been lacking, but it might have been more in desperation due to the performance disadvantage to Merc.

Strategy hasn't been their strong point this season, that's for sure. However, wrt to the Vettel pitstop, apparently there was an issue with the radio communication to the mechanics, so maybe not entirely the teams fault? The call to go with softs was not necessarily a bad call, a lot of the teams were struggling on the mediums. And I can't remember them having to pit so much earlier than the other teams (Vettel and Bottas pitted at the same time).

My sympathy with Ferrari lies in the fact that they have come so close to winning 3 races so far this season. 1 - Bahrain - a mechanical issue for LeClerc with just a couple of laps to go while leading (Ferrari have had very good reliability this season, and the only time in a race where it has gone wrong they happen to be leading the race. Merc has had quite a few mechanical issues, but they always seem to catch it in practice, not in the race). 2 - Vettel penalty in Canada which was very 50/50 and now 3 - the 50/50 no penalty on Verstappen.

But yes, other times this season their strategy has been lacking, but it might have been more in desperation due to the performance disadvantage to Merc.

I am not sure, they had the wheel gun guys out there, just not the wheels. 

They must have known the race was going to come back together at the end, fresher tyre wins, like they did with Vetel. 

Anyway, can we not just have all the races at this track!

I am not sure, they had the wheel gun guys out there, just not the wheels. 

They must have known the race was going to come back together at the end, fresher tyre wins, like they did with Vetel. 

Anyway, can we not just have all the races at this track!

Apparently it was an issue with the mechanics radio, and remember it's quicker to get the wheel guns out than the tyres and still get them out of the blankets.

But agree, can we have the rest of the races in Austria please.

Ah ole mad Max

As much as I don’t like him, imo his pass was fair.

Le Clerc stayed on the outside knowing mad max would come up much faster due to drs etc....

as a result left the door open and allowed mad max in

The rest is history

It’s racing

Ah ole mad Max

Le Clerc stayed on the outside knowing mad max would come up much faster due to drs etc....

The rest is history

It’s racing

I disagree...

You also imply that LeClerc should make his car disappear because Max “was coming up much faster due to DRS...” Did you perhaps notice that this was in a corner and not straight line? It’s simply not racing.

Anyway, the stewards have decided and that’s what matters...

I disagree...

You also imply that LeClerc should make his car disappear because Max “was coming up much faster due to DRS...” Did you perhaps notice that this was in a corner and not straight line? It’s simply not racing.

Anyway, the stewards have decided and that’s what matters...

Exactly, when you are trying to defend against a faster competitor.... you don’t give him space on the inside.

Ah ole mad Max

The rest is history

It’s racing

Bingo, Le Clerc should have gone for the Apex, had he done so he would have had zero exit speed and Max would have breezed past..