Formula 1...

'Dale

36 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Nice to see Alfa Romeo doing unexpectedly well with even the rookie Zhou placing well.  Am a bit of an AR fanboy having had a few quick ones.  Zhou tenth in his debut race, what’s (edit: who’s) the highest placing rookie in his debut F1 event?

How could we forget Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) finishing a close 3rd behind his then teammate, Fernando Alonso in his debut at the Australian GP in 2007. Kimi (Ferrari) won the race and eventually the Driver’s Championship by a single point that year.

Kevin Magnussen finished 2nd in his F1 debut at the Aus GP in 2014.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

How could we forget Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) finishing a close 3rd behind his then teammate, Fernando Alonso in his debut at the Australian GP in 2007. Kimi (Ferrari) won the race and eventually the Driver’s Championship by a single point that year.

Never been good at remembering stats like that.  Thanks mate, remarkable stuff.

Edited by justinafrika

On 3/24/2022 at 9:27 AM, RoddieJ said:

okay but Kimi wasn't on debut 

Max also won his debut for redbull but he was already in F1 for a while 

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

okay but Kimi wasn't on debut 

Max also won his debut for redbull but he was already in F1 for a while 

Thanks.  Still keen to know what the best result is for a rookie in his first F1 race, which was my original question.

2 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Thanks.  Still keen to know what the best result is for a rookie in his first F1 race, which was my original question.

Giancarlo Baghetti
Winner on debut of the F1 GP Ferrari at Reims in 1961 (Wikipedia)

Apprently also his only race win

Edited by RoddieJ

9 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

That ladies and gentlemen was a motor race. 

The unpredictability of it all is what makes it "sport". Two cars running away from the pack at will is not fun.

What we saw last night, that, was FUN! (Sorry Checo!)

Long live the 2022 season!

On 3/26/2022 at 8:31 PM, Vetplant said:

When was the last time that Hamilton didn't make it out of Q1? 

I think we can call it guys, Mercedes are NOT sandbagging.. 

Maybe they just forgot to tell Lewis to stop, Russell looked like he had decent pace. Not winning pace, but decent.
Lewis also looked to be making his way through the field quire comfortably, him and Perez were really hit badly by the SC/VSC.

39 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

The unpredictability of it all is what makes it "sport". Two cars running away from the pack at will is not fun.

What we saw last night, that, was FUN! (Sorry Checo!)

Long live the 2022 season!

It seems like the Merc era is starting to waver, and at long last Scuderia Ferrari are back as contenders. I was torn between being a Tifosi and wanting Max and Checo to score points for RBR. All in all it was a great race and exciting to see such close racing without the usual tantrums (for the most part other than moaning about harvesting lights or crossing the pit entry lines).

Early indicators , to me at least , show that my suspicion that Russel would outdrive Hamilton is not entirely unrealistic. He is getting older, and the human body eventually resists putting up with constant pressure as experienced when driving a F1 car, and youth is firmly in Russel's favour. I suspect he's retiring at the end of this season, especially if the Merc performance lingers for an extended period.

I can't wait to see the Le Clerc, Verstappen, Sainz battles lined up for the rest of the year. Hamilton might mix it up, but I'm not so sure anymore. He seems mentally defeated to me.

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

It seems like the Merc era is starting to waver, and at long last Scuderia Ferrari are back as contenders. I was torn between being a Tifosi and wanting Max and Checo to score points for RBR. All in all it was a great race and exciting to see such close racing without the usual tantrums (for the most part other than moaning about harvesting lights or crossing the pit entry lines).

Early indicators , to me at least , show that my suspicion that Russel would outdrive Hamilton is not entirely unrealistic. He is getting older, and the human body eventually resists putting up with constant pressure as experienced when driving a F1 car, and youth is firmly in Russel's favour. I suspect he's retiring at the end of this season, especially if the Merc performance lingers for an extended period.

I can't wait to see the Le Clerc, Verstappen, Sainz battles lined up for the rest of the year. Hamilton might mix it up, but I'm not so sure anymore. He seems mentally defeated to me.

Agree.

Checo is also showing solid pace, so that will very likely be a full 2 vs 2 battle between those two manufacturers. If GR can get in on the battle, it can only be entertaining to watch.

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Maybe they just forgot to tell Lewis to stop, Russell looked like he had decent pace. Not winning pace, but decent.
Lewis also looked to be making his way through the field quire comfortably, him and Perez were really hit badly by the SC/VSC.

His tyre strategy was his downfall. Mercedes here messed up. He was racing Mag for position and was undercut. Should have changed him much earlier on