Formula 1...

'Dale

The other thing I really do not like about this season: F1 2014 is an economy-run not a race!

They obviously don't learn...........back in the 80s they tried the consumption thing. It was a disaster and ruined the racing. The rule was dropped after 2 seasosn.

Cars were limited to 195liters per race and it was a disaster. Cars regularly ran out of fuel and those that didn't had to resort to "coasting" to finish. In the days when tracks still had long fast straights. They would put the car into neutral and freewheel the last third of the straights.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can't develop the engine away from f1 in the factory and test in mule cars?

Seems stooopid that they want to strive for efficiency and fuel saving and what not but not allow teams to develop motors during the season.

11 000 rpm from a motor, how difficult would it for them to put these motors in la Ferrari or p1? Then just "develop" road motor?

Already happened

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113112966923/ferrari-testing-2014-f1-engine-in-laferrari-video

Golefty, I would really like you to be right about Porsche. But I fear you may be wrong, Porsche are committed to Lemans now, just like Audi. When Audi was asked about possible F1 teams, they also use the Lemans excuse. Porsche also being part of the Vw, audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini etc etc empire. Cant see them going that route. But nothing would make me happier to see Audi or Porsche or Lamborghini in F1. They def have the money and tech.

So you can't develop the engine away from f1 in the factory and test in mule cars?

Seems stooopid that they want to strive for efficiency and fuel saving and what not but not allow teams to develop motors during the season.

11 000 rpm from a motor, how difficult would it for them to put these motors in la Ferrari or p1? Then just "develop" road motor?

You can, but you can't test it in the car itself, nor implement any changes to the motors during the season (until you choose to change the engine with one of your 5)

So yeah. It's stupid.

They obviously don't learn...........back in the 80s they tried the consumption thing. It was a disaster and ruined the racing. The rule was dropped after 2 seasosn.

Cars were limited to 195liters per race and it was a disaster. Cars regularly ran out of fuel and those that didn't had to resort to "coasting" to finish. In the days when tracks still had long fast straights. They would put the car into neutral and freewheel the last third of the straights.

195L from 1985 through to 1987, In 1988 it was 150L

One thing I found interesting and haven't really noticed before is the brake lights that come on when a driver really pressed hard on the pedal. I remember two incidents. One is Hamilton's light kept on coming on in one particular corner when he was being pushed, but Rosberg's did not.

The other incident was Bottas' light came on when he was chasing Massa, but Massa's light did not come on.

Looks like Hamilton and Bottas like braking hard and late.

One thing I found interesting and haven't really noticed before is the brake lights that come on when a driver really pressed hard on the pedal. I remember two incidents. One is Hamilton's light kept on coming on in one particular corner when he was being pushed, but Rosberg's did not.

The other incident was Bottas' light came on when he was chasing Massa, but Massa's light did not come on.

Looks like Hamilton and Bottas like braking hard and late.

It's also used when the car is not able to use the full power of the units, or so I understand. If a car just suddenly drops off in power, then the following car needs to know that.

It's also used when the car is not able to use the full power of the units, or so I understand. If a car just suddenly drops off in power, then the following car needs to know that.

:D If that's the case then the Renault powered cars will have the light on the whole time.

Ricciardo is impressive wow

What a rookie year thus far

Ricciardo was racing for Torro Rosso last year... and his been in the Red Bull development program testing for them... so he's clearly no rookie. BUT, I do agree that he's having a awesome year so far. I hope he gets his podium place back.

It's not a brake light at all... It's used as Armpies said above, plus for rain. Think it also comes on if the pit lane limiter is on (if not already on due to rain).

Nice new video, James Allen already covered that last week, I think... (or was it espn?) Always somebody coming up with new ideas - clever boikies.

It's not a brake light at all... It's used as Armpies said above, plus for rain. Think it also comes on if the pit lane limiter is on (if not already on due to rain).

So, it's a "my car has lost power/going slowly overtake now" light?