Formula 1...

'Dale

Finally got to watch the race last night - was a good one - some fantastic dicing between 2 grumpy world champs with each telling tales on the other. Also nice to see a bit of pace from the Ferrari.

Hamilton was reeling Rosberg in and its a pity we didn't get to see that played out as I reckon he would have had in in the third stint if not the second. Rosberg was due a DNF though and its good the championship is still up for grabs.

Edited by dracs

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad that Wolff only did 4 laps... she probably didn't get the chance to push at all.

Let's hope it will be a clean race... P1 certainly had too many flags!

And it was hubby's engine that failed too...

She gets another chance in Germany though.

I can't help but feel that Formula 1 (much like football) is being ruined by the sports governing body.

What a rubbish season with cars that sound like Scalextrics.

The sound doesnt bother me. What bothers me, is that we are still in the same position as the previous 4 years. One team totally dominates, and it does not matter if you put any one of the 22 drivers on the grid in that Merc, it will still continue to dominate. We are not even halfway in the championship, and we allready know Mercedes wil win constructors and either Lewis or Rossberg wil win the championship.

I must admit, I enjoyed the race, really enjoyed the Vettel and Alonso battle.

Formula 1 in 2014 is worse than ever thanks to stupid rules like homologated new hybrid engines. I have no issue with the hybrid aspect but it would be better for the spectators if the engines were allowed to be developed over the first three years of introiduction with a gradual increase in homolagation of key components. As it stands the world championship is decided on the drawing board two years before the actual championship.

Think I'll go watch Jukskei instead, much more exciting

The sound doesnt bother me. What bothers me, is that we are still in the same position as the previous 4 years. One team totally dominates, and it does not matter if you put any one of the 22 drivers on the grid in that Merc, it will still continue to dominate. We are not even halfway in the championship, and we allready know Mercedes wil win constructors and either Lewis or Rossberg wil win the championship.

I must admit, I enjoyed the race, really enjoyed the Vettel and Alonso battle.

Well at least unlike the red bull domination we have a genuine intra-team battle, so for me its still been a great season. I guess if I was a huge Vettel or Alfonso fan I might have felt a bit different...

I do agree the engine homologation is a bit strange given there is nothing Renault and Ferrari can do to catch up on that front until season end.

Formula 1 in 2014 is worse than ever thanks to stupid rules like homologated new hybrid engines. I have no issue with the hybrid aspect but it would be better for the spectators if the engines were allowed to be developed over the first three years of introiduction with a gradual increase in homolagation of key components. As it stands the world championship is decided on the drawing board two years before the actual championship.

Think I'll go watch Jukskei instead, much more exciting

I used to love F1, I made every attempt to not miss it.

I watched the first few races and was bored, theres no excitement anymore.

Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport but they are forever slowing the bloody cars down. They cannot get anywhere close to a record lap time that Schumi set back in 2004 in a RACE on a qualifying lap with 5 liters of fuel left today ... what crap is that?

Oh boy, did you okes see the new Formula E championship. Lots of ex F1 drivers it seems. Sound awfull, watched the youtube vids. About as exciting as indycar racing.

What do you guys and gals think about the proposed move to 18" rims?

http://www.rushlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Lotus-F1-tries-new-Pirelli.jpg

http://www.rushlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Lotus-F1-tries-new-Pirelli.jpg

I think its a great idea. Besides that it looks better, should improve handling. But the cars are designed that the current tyre almost works like a shock absorber, with the sidewalls absorbing impacts. Moving to 18s would need some sort of redesign I think.

More emphasis on actual suspension development and utilisation maybe?

... But the cars are designed that the current tyre almost works like a shock absorber, with the sidewalls absorbing impacts. Moving to 18s would need some sort of redesign I think.

Your thinking is spot on. But instead of me typing some mumbo jumbo I read somewhere to try and sound clever, have a read here

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/07/guest-blog-mark-gillans-thoughts-on-pirellis-experiment-with-low-profile-f1-tyres/

And also:

Of course, with such drastic changes in configuration there must be structural changes in the tyre itself and Hembery added that today’s test had confirmed the manufacturer’s suspicions about the technical challenges the switch might bring.

“We confirmed what we knew,” he said. “You have more rigid sidewalls, so you do have an integrity challenge; the car’s sensitivity to camber will be very high; the front tyre will create a very aggressive turn in; there will be big variations in pressure. We need more detailed studies on that.