The worst feeling on a bike... ever!!

Squier

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BOTH ?!

You get the "UNLUCKY HUBBER MARCH" Award. Gold Stars.

Seriously suggest you take up a DIY maintenance course - soon.

Sticking your new Sidi between your rear wheel and seatstay would have been slightly more effective.

YeeeHa! :rolleyes:

Hallo fellow hubbers! What happened to me is not really brake failure but something completely different!

This past weekend my girlfriend and I is of mountain biking in the surroundings from Bethlehem to Clarens. As everything is beautiful this time of the year and the grass is well grown we were riding in the jeep tracks. On top of the mountain we were riding a little faster and suddenly I saw a snake passing the road. The snake was 20cm from my front wheel when I saw it... My girl friend was riding next to me in the other single track. This was a MENEER! Flippen big rinkhals, I have seen a lot of these guys and knew that this can be life threatening! I tried to warn my girl friend but not a single sound word came out of my mouth only lady like voices! Trying to clip out my feet to get away from the danger zone!

The snake was impossible to miss luckily most of it already passed over the road but I rode over the tail of it, my girl would have ridden over the head... As I was riding over the snake I though that this thing shouldn't get stuck in my wheels as it tries to bite back. Luckily it didn't! But I did not see that, and just after I rode over the snake my bike pick up an old rusted piece of barbed wire... As I look down thinking this snake shouldn't get stuck I only see this black thing circling around my back wheel...

Not looking where I was going I drove into a ditch falling over my bike and tried to get away from the bike as far as possible!

This was my worse feeling I ever not only a bike but ever!

Hallo fellow hubbers! What happened to me is not really brake failure but something completely different!

This past weekend my girlfriend and I is of mountain biking in the surroundings from Bethlehem to Clarens. As everything is beautiful this time of the year and the grass is well grown we were riding in the jeep tracks. On top of the mountain we were riding a little faster and suddenly I saw a snake passing the road. The snake was 20cm from my front wheel when I saw it... My girl friend was riding next to me in the other single track. This was a MENEER! Flippen big rinkhals, I have seen a lot of these guys and knew that this can be life threatening! I tried to warn my girl friend but not a single sound word came out of my mouth only lady like voices! Trying to clip out my feet to get away from the danger zone!

The snake was impossible to miss luckily most of it already passed over the road but I rode over the tail of it, my girl would have ridden over the head... As I was riding over the snake I though that this thing shouldn't get stuck in my wheels as it tries to bite back. Luckily it didn't! But I did not see that, and just after I rode over the snake my bike pick up an old rusted piece of barbed wire... As I look down thinking this snake shouldn't get stuck I only see this black thing circling around my back wheel...

Not looking where I was going I drove into a ditch falling over my bike and tried to get away from the bike as far as possible!

Honestly people...you need to start cycling with video camera's!!!!!! :angry:

AND NOW, FOR Something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT..... HA :lol: (You sure it wasn't an M Python??)

Honestly people...you need to start cycling with video camera's!!!!!! :angry:

I can send the video where I had to change into a clean fresh pair of pants... Twice! :lol:

I can send the video where I had to change into a clean fresh pair of pants... Twice! :lol:

Is it funny ;)

When my girl looked back she saw the rinkhals ready to strike. It was as high as her back wheel... Nope was a rinkhals, Black with the white stripes

Sidi shoes with mechanical brakes...Rather look good than be safe? :lol: Just yanking your chain a bit...

Anyway, did you think of sticking your foot on the rear wheel?

I don't know how far you were from the Garsfontein intersection but I would have tried sticking my water bottle between my rear wheel and frame, even a saddlebag...I would have sacrificed my shirt to be eaten by my rear wheel...

But jump off? I don't know...

This pop's the question: What can you use as a brake?

Yes, I know but I got a sweet deal on the Sidi's... Hehe!

Like I said, panic mode set in. By the time I realised it was too late. I wouldn't have had time anyway, but getting the bottle in on the back wheel would've been difficult... Jumping was my only option, there was no time for anything else.

I fell less than 10 meters from the intersection - c/o Hans Strijdom and Olympus.

I seriously don't know how I could have handled it differently... Even in hindsight, I just don't know.

Worst feeling ever....when you on a morning cycle, about 50km from home realising you seriously need a toilet....and then you get a puncture rushing home realising you forgot your tire levers at home...

tekkie stop is back wheel tjaaina. bit dangerous doing the front wheel as you could endo, so probably wont do it hard enough.plus you can still look ahead.

There are two that come the mind

1. Being on the bike when you cycle past the scheme of an accident and a cyclist died :angry: :(

2. Down hill, approaching a T junction and about 40-50 meters before the turn I got a front flat so I could only go straight, scared sh!tless knowing that I do not have right of way. Hit the curb full on and landed on the softest grass ever - thanksfully early in the morning and no cars :clap: :D

Oy! I've been there - not the snake, the brakes. Back in the 70s, the square brake blocks had a lip of metal to hold the rubber in position and, being a spotty know-it-all teenager, I fitted them the wrong way around. The blocks shot out like bullets while I was speeding though Randburg (Hill Street, if I remember) and all I could think of was to put my feet on the ground. So there I was, going at about 50km/h, literally standing on the ground, holding onto my Peugeot Sting, with my Bata school shoes burning up the tar. I could hardly walk for a week afterwards.