Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Ja porcupines .... Africa's largest rodent. Damn spiky rats enjoy the trails just as much as we do. The trails make access to feeding areas easy so it's no coincidence they ferret around on the trails. This time of year the soft soil conditions make for easy pickings (read diggings) so the porcupines have a field day, actually a field night. They are mainly nocturnal but evidence of their presence is obvious. Look out for holes with leftover bulbs and roots nearby, possibly a quill or two. Consider yourself lucky if you do get to spot one.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We finished the upgrades to Geelslang and Mongoose today. Expect to find some adjustments to your usual ride!

Good trail building and easy maintenance is all about managing erosion, specifically from water and braking tyres. Some of the features on Mongoose have come about over the last 2-3 seasons through too much wear from both, and after a dry summer and so far, nearly waterless winter, it has been a waiting game; waiting for enough rain to penetrate the dry granite soil in order to fix up the well-worn tracks. 'Rocky features' are a direct result of erosion ie we did not build them, but in order to stem the erosion we have re-routed the entrance to some of the bends. 

Expect to find the going soft on some of the new pieces of trail, at least until they are run in and some rain falls (early next week?).

Water run-offs are a winter feature that are crucial if the trail surface is not to wash away every time heavy rain falls. You will find them ever 5-10 metres across the entire trail system, whilst we try not to dig cross the entire track, inevitably sometimes it is necessary, resulting in a thumping good ride especially if you ride a hard-tail!  They wear down over winter and usually disappear by summer, but without them there would be no navigable trail system.

We hope you will find the trails returned to their good state, with better lines to the bends that require less braking and berms to support you as you rail around them ('trust the berm'!).

• 4 weeks later...

Did the green route from zevenwacht today.. man o man, love what you guys have done on the maintenance and up keep of the route

KEEP IT UP!!!

We finished the upgrades to Geelslang and Mongoose today. Expect to find some adjustments to your usual ride!

Good trail building and easy maintenance is all about managing erosion, specifically from water and braking tyres. Some of the features on Mongoose have come about over the last 2-3 seasons through too much wear from both, and after a dry summer and so far, nearly waterless winter, it has been a waiting game; waiting for enough rain to penetrate the dry granite soil in order to fix up the well-worn tracks. 'Rocky features' are a direct result of erosion ie we did not build them, but in order to stem the erosion we have re-routed the entrance to some of the bends. 

Expect to find the going soft on some of the new pieces of trail, at least until they are run in and some rain falls (early next week?).

Water run-offs are a winter feature that are crucial if the trail surface is not to wash away every time heavy rain falls. You will find them ever 5-10 metres across the entire trail system, whilst we try not to dig cross the entire track, inevitably sometimes it is necessary, resulting in a thumping good ride especially if you ride a hard-tail!  They wear down over winter and usually disappear by summer, but without them there would be no navigable trail system.

We hope you will find the trails returned to their good state, with better lines to the bends that require less braking and berms to support you as you rail around them ('trust the berm'!).

Did the extended green route on Sunday - Geelslang and Mongoose such a pleasure to ride with all the effort that has gone into smoothing the surface and adding berms everywhere. The additional re-routed ST on both sections was a nice surprise and works very well. I don't mind missing that muddy patch on Mongoose at all.

Vaalkol, you must take us on a guided tour again, quite soon.

Maybe next Saturday 08/08/2015?

I read yesterday there was an attempted mugging on / near the trails going towards Bottelary Road from the red.

Hi Nico. Not sure where you read "attempted mugging". This is what transpired as posted on our Fb page: "We got word of an incident on our trails on Sunday morning (26/7/2015). I made contact with the rider involved. He was cycling along the brick rd link between Radish and the red route, returning to Bottelary rd. He noticed two teenagers(+- 17yrs) standing either side of the road, as he approached the one picked up a brick while the other already had a brick in hand. Not sure what they would do the rider made a u- turn and took an alternative route to Bottelary rd. Nobody was hurt or robbed and the rider made the right decision to avoid confrontation. If anyone experiences a similar situation please go to the nearest farmhouse and notify someone so it can be dealt with asap. While we have not had any attacks on cyclists on our routes in the 4 yrs we've been open we cannot absolutely guarantee your safety. So be vigilant, avoid confrontation if possible and report any incident you may be involved in.

Hi Nico. Not sure where you read "attempted mugging". This is what transpired as posted on our Fb page: "We got word of an incident on our trails on Sunday morning (26/7/2015). I made contact with the rider involved. He was cycling along the brick rd link between Radish and the red route, returning to Bottelary rd. He noticed two teenagers(+- 17yrs) standing either side of the road, as he approached the one picked up a brick while the other already had a brick in hand. Not sure what they would do the rider made a u- turn and took an alternative route to Bottelary rd. Nobody was hurt or robbed and the rider made the right decision to avoid confrontation. If anyone experiences a similar situation please go to the nearest farmhouse and notify someone so it can be dealt with asap. While we have not had any attacks on cyclists on our routes in the 4 yrs we've been open we cannot absolutely guarantee your safety. So be vigilant, avoid confrontation if possible and report any incident you may be involved in.

Yes, that's what I read.  "Attempted mugging" probably the incorrect phrase, sorry.  More like, "narrowly avoided physical attack on cyclist" would have been more appropriate. Apologies.

If you read the comments on that post it may be that the two dodgy characters may have been having an altercation of their own. That said, one can understand why the rider, upon approaching them got concerned and opted to turn around and avoid confronting them. It was the sensible thing to do.

If you read the comments on that post it may be that the two dodgy characters may have been having an altercation of their own. That said, one can understand why the rider, upon approaching them got concerned and opted to turn around and avoid confronting them. It was the sensible thing to do.

Ah, well that I did not read.  Sounds very plausible.

I probably wouldn't enter/exit off the Bottleray rd side if I'm by myself tbh. Maybe over-cautious, but its that time of year...

I went down that road at about 11:15 on Sunday. I saw them on the left in the vineyard but they looked younger to me. They were watching but to far away to bother me. Did not feel they were a threat.