Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

@hellwarp - it looks like someone damaged the bridge on the first ST section on Fish Eagle.

We put the missing poles (which had been thrown to the left) back but they are loose

post-150158-0-01518500-1577731033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grahambza

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@hellwarp - it looks like someone damaged the bridge on the first ST section on Fish Eagle.

We put the missing poles (which had been thrown to the left) back but they are loose

Trail Blazers will be back next week, will fix the bridge ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

this is the bastard that sailed in front of me on Kaapzicht Killer the other day... I must have missed it by 2m or so, I was grinding head down, when I looked up to see how much of the bleeding hill is left and saw it crossing the road in front of me. it was about 6m long... (in my head it was 6m, but really probably just about 1.2-1.5m)

post-36629-0-49225400-1579013114_thumb.png

JOIN BOTTELARY HILLS MTB TRAILS AND RIDE FOR CONSERVATION

The 65km Bottelary Hills Mountain Bike Trails that run through the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy (BHC) and across working wine farms, offer spectacular views and multiple route options that caters for various skill and fitness levels. 

Get your 2020 BHC MTB permit online (www.bottelaryconservancy.co.za) and enjoy the fabulous trails, while making a contribution to conservation - R680 for main members, R580 for spouses and pensioners and R480 for students and under 18’s.   Day permits (R60) are available from the Devonvale Golf & Wine Estate, Asara Wine Estate, Jordan Wine Estate, Zevenwacht Country Lodge, Hazendal Bike Park and Soneike Engen in Kuilsriver.

post-152908-0-46671100-1579690853_thumb.jpg

The BHC is a registered non-profit organisation (NPO) that forms part of the Cape Winelands Biosphere Reserve.  Funds generated through permit sales are used to care for, expand and sustain the remaining 1500-hectare Renosterveld in its area that covers approximately 10 000 hectares.   Less than 4% of the original Renosterveld in the Western Cape remains and only grows in very rich fertile soils, which is often replaced with commercial crops.

Game such as Caracal, Grysbok, Grey duiker, Porcupine, Bat-eared foxes, Cape foxes and otters still roams naturally in the Hills. There are also endangered reptile species such as the Diamondback tortoise only found in Renosterveld areas, while more than 109 bird species have been identified and listed on the BHC website.

Convenient park and ride access points to the trails include: Devonvale Golf Estate and Hazendal (Bottelary Road / M23); Brenaissance Wine & Studd Farm (Devon Valley Road); Asara Wine Estate (Polkadraai Road / R310), Jordan and Overgaauw Wine Estates (Stellenbosch Kloof Road) and Zevenwacht Wine Estate (Langverwacht Road).

The trails are situated on working wine farms and riders need to be on the lookout for tractors and vehicles at all times as they have right of way. Riding is only allowed from sunrise to sunset. Riding alone is not advisable (in case of an incapacitating accident). Carrying a mobile phone is recommended.

Annual BHC MTB permit holders will also enjoy free access to the popular Hazendal Family Bike Park on the Bottelary Road. Although the bike park is primarily focused on children, it provides fun riding for adults as well.

Just a heads up that there's a small tree over the track as you drop into the Mamba descent. I needed to pull out a move I hadn't used since my 20's to avoid hitting it this morning as I was carrying too much speed to stop :eek: My chamois might be stained  :nuke: 

Just a heads up that there's a small tree over the track as you drop into the Mamba descent. I needed to pull out a move I hadn't used since my 20's to avoid hitting it this morning as I was carrying too much speed to stop :eek: My chamois might be stained  :nuke:

We don't have a 'Mamba' trail, can you give me a pin drop, Ill sort it out ASAP.

We don't have a 'Mamba' trail, can you give me a pin drop, Ill sort it out ASAP.

As you're coming back from green along the stretch that runs almost parralel to the Manganani Spa, there's that kicker little climb and then you hook a left and start that descent that eventually endes up near the Russians house. It's as you hook the left. Hope that makes sense.

Signage feedback:

I joined up in December and am loving the trails. I have some signage feedback though.

1) On the red route, as you come from the Welgelegen 4x4 side, you crest the hill by Protea Alley and have to turn right. But there is no arrow telling you to turn, it’s easy for someone new to the trails to go down the hill and run into a dead end.

post-150158-0-49961500-1579860183_thumb.jpg

A sign would be useful here

2) After ribbok you come to this sign. The red/purple route arrows are lying on the ground and only a blue arrow is showing

post-150158-0-83224100-1579860275_thumb.jpg

post-150158-0-49961500-1579860183_thumb.jpg

post-150158-0-83224100-1579860275_thumb.jpg

Does the blue route still exist? Its not on the map on the website

Yes, certainly it does! A new map has been drawn up ready to be posted, details to follow shortly.

As you're coming back from green along the stretch that runs almost parralel to the Manganani Spa, there's that kicker little climb and then you hook a left and start that descent that eventually endes up near the Russians house. It's as you hook the left. Hope that makes sense.

OK, got it, will remove in the next 48 hours...

Signage feedback:

I joined up in December and am loving the trails. I have some signage feedback though.

1) On the red route, as you come from the Welgelegen 4x4 side, you crest the hill by Protea Alley and have to turn right. But there is no arrow telling you to turn, it’s easy for someone new to the trails to go down the hill and run into a dead end.

A sign would be useful here

2) After ribbok you come to this sign. The red/purple route arrows are lying on the ground and only a blue arrow is showing

ALL the route signage is due for an overhaul, The Conservancy has just updated the maps, are currently re-designing the route split boards and new direction markers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firstly,

thank you for these fantastic trails ! I ride there twice a week and love every inch !

(I ride mainly during the week, and have never seen another rider ! before approx 5pm.

Further, I just don't understand why there are so few riders enjoying the trails even on weekends.)

Maintenance Three trees down on new Ribbok re-route yesterday - about half way after where "extra single track" rejoins -  and the exit.

Note to riders - Ribbok (red clockwise route) - the 're-route' now exits at the 'top line' which was previously the return 'short-cut' forest entrance from the green route side.

In other words if turning left after up and over Kaapzight climb and onto the very steep long climb next to the tree line (where going to left would be direction start of skaapsteker - right at very top was a return short-cut 'Green link' to the Ribbok forest.)

Coming from kaapzight climb, and being in a hurry, I misunderstood the reroute swop and entered the forest trail at 'normal Ribbok exit'. (No signs or trail closure here unfortunately. I ended up with crazy hike-a-bike to get out of many cut trees, branches and sandy mess.)

With the top route now reversed, I guess the only return here is now via skaapsteker ?

Marker/Arrows - Further, as I was late getting to Stellenbosch, rather than going via 'skildpad ?', I decided to go over the hill (that 1.7km mostly single track (nameless?) where its downhill ends next to the wolwedans-vastrap - then past exit to overgauw on the right and finally right to get on downhill to Asara (as opposed to going around down to yellow route)

I think riding this 'reverse' red is acceptable ? - but I did not see a marker arrow for the Asara direction ? So went too far before going right (ended up lost on 'a nursery farm' and exit to Devon valley road.

If this counter-clockwise riding is allowed - then perhaps more markers, and a marker for Asara exit required. (also, I must admit I was going flat-out and route looks unfamiliar counter-clockwise, so maybe I just did not pay enough attention.)

Fantastic trails.

Firstly,

thank you for these fantastic trails ! I ride there twice a week and love every inch !

(I ride mainly during the week, and have never seen another rider ! before approx 5pm.

Further, I just don't understand why there are so few riders enjoying the trails even on weekends.)

Fantastic trails.

We live very close to these trails, yet rather ride the Tybergerg trails, for the following reasons :

- more options for family rides, where we can ride together.

- Various restaurants/coffee stops along the routes

Thing is our weekend rides are more than just riding, it is family time.  Spend some time at Bloemendal, Meerendal and even Contermanskloof and you will see how many families ride together.  And at the moment the Tygberberg trails offer more options.

NOTE - this is not meant as a negative, but rather constructive feedback.  We have previously asked for more family options along the Bottelary trails.  

We live very close to these trails, yet rather ride the Tybergerg trails, for the following reasons :

- more options for family rides, where we can ride together.

- Various restaurants/coffee stops along the routes

Thing is our weekend rides are more than just riding, it is family time.  Spend some time at Bloemendal, Meerendal and even Contermanskloof and you will see how many families ride together.  And at the moment the Tygberberg trails offer more options.

NOTE - this is not meant as a negative, but rather constructive feedback.  We have previously asked for more family options along the Bottelary trails.  

Agree 100%. I live close to the Tmtb trails, but mostly ride at Bottelary! Coffee shops/food at Hazendal, Jordan, Asara, Zevenwacht, Brenaissance and Devon Valley Golf Club; you shouldn't go short of caffeine or nourishment.  Hazendal has the Family Bike Park, designed for all ages and abilities, as a matter of interest what do you consider a 'family option' to be?