Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Agree 100%. I live close to the Tmtb trails, but mostly ride at Bottelary! Coffee shops/food at Hazendal, Jordan, Asara, Zevenwacht, Brenaissance and Devon Valley Golf Club; you shouldn't go short of caffeine or nourishment.  Hazendal has the Family Bike Park, designed for all ages and abilities, as a matter of interest what do you consider a 'family option' to be?

Hazendal is perfect for the kids, probably one of the best in the Cape ... with hardly anything for the parents.  Once you head into the koppies it is not "kid friendly".

Bloemendal has a very nice mix for both parents and kids.  Meerendal might be a bit hilly for the very small kids, but it is possible to get a good ride with the kids

PS - we started riding at Hazendal, and had to use the Tygerberg trails options while Hazendal was revamped.  Who knows, may try Bottelary again once Maritz can tackle to koppies ...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We live very close to these trails, yet rather ride the Tybergerg trails, for the following reasons :

- more options for family rides, where we can ride together.

- Various restaurants/coffee stops along the routes

Thing is our weekend rides are more than just riding, it is family time.  Spend some time at Bloemendal, Meerendal and even Contermanskloof and you will see how many families ride together.  And at the moment the Tygberberg trails offer more options.

NOTE - this is not meant as a negative, but rather constructive feedback.  We have previously asked for more family options along the Bottelary trails.  

Noted, but as indicated on the TBMTB threat, this are better mtb trails as less are manicured. So horses for courses. However, these trails are all maximum blue trails so so they are accessible to anyone wanting to get better at MTB.

It would be a shame id these trails are also dumbed down to the extent the the Tygerberg trails have been. Especially considering that Tygerberg are not interested in entertaining requests from the members regarding making more challenging (skills wise) trails.

#keepbottiesreal 

Noted, but as indicated on the TBMTB threat, this are better mtb trails as less are manicured. So horses for courses. However, these trails are all maximum blue trails so so they are accessible to anyone wanting to get better at MTB.

It would be a shame id these trails are also dumbed down to the extent the the Tygerberg trails have been. Especially considering that Tygerberg are not interested in entertaining requests from the members regarding making more challenging (skills wise) trails.

#keepbottiesreal 

Agreed 100% !

And thus the answer to the question of the previous poster - different trails for different users.  :thumbup:

Please note, in the interests of safety, Ribbok Trail is now completely closed at the red crosses (see map) for logging until the end of March

If you want to access the trails either side, use Skaapsterker. This is normally one way, so please take care for riders coming from the other direction whilst the diversion is in place!

post-78624-0-15050300-1582731258_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Myself and 2 friends want to give Bottelary trails a go this Saturday. 

Could anyone here please help me out with the Bottelary Hills Trails in Google Earth format?

Or even better, a Strava ride that I can see the elevation per sections etc?

I will be leading the ride, as I am the fitter of the three and quite longer in the game than the other two:

- Rider A is new to the sport, not very fit but very eager.

- Rider B is not so much a newbie and fitter (as he goes to gym 2-3 days a week and does some boxing too).

I took them on Eden /Mont Marie this weekend and they enjoyed that a lot, asking for more ;-)

The newbie is not yet fit at all, and not good with climbing, so I want to see if I can put together a 15-20km loop without, as enjoyable  possible for the not so fit guys   ;-)

We though about starting from Overgaauw/Asara, as myself and Rider B stay in Somerset, and the rider A recently moved to Wijnlanden.

Single track is no problem, and preferred over too much jeep track.

See marking below on trail map for what I have in mind (two options, dark and light blue) and please let me know if this would be possible (i.e. loop direction etc, and difficulty ito climbing etc).

post-61499-0-33989800-1584351588_thumb.jpg

Less technical than Eden/Mont Marie.

Make sure to include fish eagle - it is the best part imo. Perhaps do light blue and yellow first?

Asara is a good starting point.

That's plenty climbing you are considering. In all, Bottelary is not actually a flattish route, and there is always a climb or three to contend. I would still give it a go, and wait for the unfit guys to make their way. There will be some hike-a-bike, but the day will be filled with lekker memories, and not long before the bike hikes are forgotten, and replaced with the good memories.

I prefer the climb from Overgaauw - a bit more character and you drive through some nice scenery.

You can't avoid climbing at Bottelary but its worth it. If you carry on from Overgaauw up Wolwedans you can come back via the purple and light blue route. 

If you want an easier ride do the yellow route

Less technical than Eden/Mont Marie.

Make sure to include fish eagle - it is the best part imo. Perhaps do light blue and yellow first?

Asara is a good starting point.

That's plenty climbing you are considering. In all, Bottelary is not actually a flattish route, and there is always a climb or three to contend. I would still give it a go, and wait for the unfit guys to make their way. There will be some hike-a-bike, but the day will be filled with lekker memories, and not long before the bike hikes are forgotten, and replaced with the good memories.

Yes, from the video I saw on Trailblazers website, Fish Eagle does seem like a very nice section!

If we do light, we will do yellow too.

The idea would be to do either light blue OR dark- don't think the legs and lungs will hold for both dark and light.

I am aware that the Bottelary area is loads of hills and awesome views/scenery.

But that is why I am asking, between the light blue and dark blue options, which is less climbing and more reward ST?

And I agree, even hike-n-bike with awesome scenery is worth it!

Also, what is the loop direction? Clockwise I suppose?  :blush:

dark blue has a lot of climbing up that brick paved road, all the way up. personally i would suggest doing the red/green/yellow loop, its about 45km with about 1000m elevation gain. theres a good mix of jeeptrack, single track and even some pavè. i live on the Haasendal side, so i normally enter from that side, which means i get to do the lekker single track at the end of my loop.

dark blue and long green have some of the steepest climbs on Botties. but it also has some of the nicest single tracks as a reward.

EDIT: yes, clockwise direction.

Yes, from the video I saw on Trailblazers website, Fish Eagle does seem like a very nice section!

The idea would be to do either light blue OR dark- don't think the legs and lungs will hold for both dark and light.

But that is why I am asking, between the light blue and dark blue options, which is less climbing and more reward ST?

Edited by gemmerbal

I prefer the climb from Overgaauw - a bit more character and you drive through some nice scenery.

You can't avoid climbing at Bottelary but its worth it. If you carry on from Overgaauw up Wolwedans you can come back via the purple and light blue route. 

If you want an easier ride do the yellow route

I saw Overgaauw route too, and I can see why it might be more of an experience going up there.

Will pitch both options to them and hear what they say. thanks!

Light blue, yellow and clockwise is the lessor of two climbing evils