• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

in the past week there has been a bike jacking and a stone throwing incident on the trail. seems like it's some kids up to serious mischief.

in the past week there has been a bike jacking and a stone throwing incident on the trail. seems like it's some kids up to serious mischief.

Serious mischief? Sounds like serious criminality!

On their facebook page it says the bike jacking was on the green route between Zevenwacht and Hazendal. The stone throwing was also on the green route on the new ST climb segment.

Edited by Meneer

On their facebook page it says the bike jacking was on the green route between Zevenwacht and Hazendal. The stone throwing was also on the green route on the new ST climb segment.

Yes, as I understand it the first incident, the bikejacking, was as you finish with Mongoose and go down that bit towards the Hazendal Manor house (there was a wire across the road a bit back also - maybe connected??)

The second one as I understand it, is when you get to the top (the very top, not where you turn left to join the red) of Kaapzicht killer and can go right back to Zevenwacht or left towards the long green and the steep climb towards the signal tower

Bottelary Hills Conservancy & MTB Trails

Sad to report that we had an unfortunate incident yesterday just after 19h00. One of our riders was surprised by three youngsters on the green route between Zevenwacht and Hazendal. Two had BMX bikes and the third was on foot. When the rider fell, they grabbed his bike and sped off. The case was reported and a notice sent on the local Bottelary community group for farmers to be on the lookout for BMX kids and stolen bike. Spoke with SAP and will follow up with the investigating officer assigned to the case. Hazendal's head of security has been very helpful with sourcing footage, but could not find anything. Their security team regularly patrols the area and will be extra vigilant. This instance looks like kids up to mischief. Will keep you posted, but please avoid cycling alone and keep safe. Let's work together to keep our routes safe. Feel free to send any suggestions, comments or questions to christel@bottelaryconservancy.co.za

Herewith pic of stolen bike

53870802_2248484045197650_45321746804459

Hi Hubbers

I just want to report a dodgy encounter I had on the green loop this afternoon at about 16H30. 

Going up the hill that leads towards the Zevenwacht Wine Estate exit I noticed a couple of guys standing at the top. About halfway up they started to come downhill towards me. 2 Guys were on bikes and 1 on foot. I soon as I realized these weren't ordinary looking MTB'ers and with the previous post still fresh in my mind I decided not to take any chances and play it safe. I managed to find a gap in bushes and went over to the other side. As soon as they saw me changing direction they started shouting - I couldn't here exactly what because it was quite windy. I took a bit of a detour through the vineyards to get to the top of the hill – see the Google Earth photo attached. Looking down the hill I could see them standing lower down at the place where I decided to bail through the bushes.

I couldn’t spot any other riders in the vicinity so I rode on to the start of the Mongoose trail. I looked back and they were still in that spot. Then after a while the 2 guys on the bikes descended towards the dam lower in the valley – definitely not sticking to the routes – see the photo I took. I couldn’t spot the guy on foot anymore.

This could be nothing or could be something. Either way I thought I should post it here.

post-18812-0-19326700-1553280503_thumb.png

post-18812-0-20068800-1553280518_thumb.jpg

Louis Jordaan - please will you email me ur contact details ok like to chat with you regarding this incident. Magreen083@gmail.com (urgent)

I was on the yellow trail 7h30am, 2 years ago and rode into 5 guys stripping the outer casings off electrical cables. I always ride alone so I hav'nt been on those trails again. It is sad that these thugs spoil it. I agree (Gemmerbal) examples need to be made.

• 2 months later...

We have begun our programme of winter maintenance on the trails; the entrance to Ribbok has been remade and we have begun to open up and re-make all the run-offs, please be aware of them on the single-track and proceed with caution. They are a necessary part of the maintenance to avoid serious erosion by the expected winter rains. More updates to follow!

post-78624-0-06669900-1559472482_thumb.jpeg

post-78624-0-00334100-1559472509_thumb.jpeg

post-78624-0-55187700-1559472532_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Trails were awesome today, saw a few other riders too. Two questions though : 

1) Will it be possible to get a tap outside the fence here? I always made use of the one behind the locked gate.

2) The last bit of Fish Eagle (below the orange orchard) is a muddy mess with the boardwalk taken out. Is this going to be moved to outside the new fence they are putting up?

post-38519-0-25501500-1560784913_thumb.jpg

Still had an amazing time out there today.

post-38519-0-69558100-1560784939_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-78970900-1560784968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rouxenator