29er last night on supercycling

Vetseun

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In December last year I was priveledged enough to meet Manny Fumic (who is a cannondale factory rider)... he had both his 29er Flash, and his Scalpel here. i asked him how he finds the 29er, his response: "my 29er is nice for long jeep track climbs and non technical courses, but I love my scalpel - it's more fun to ride and more nimble on the techincal courses"

I can't argue with a pro, so I'll stick to my 26inch mtb, train hard and kick your ass on your fancy it'll make me faster 29er... 'nough said!

Serious, in that case you have a couple of 29er's to get ahead of ,so train hard... unless I just missed you on the podium at races.blush.gif

Being a roadie that plays off road a few times a year, I am technically retarded and sh#t scared of anything remotely rocky descends etc... So a poofter in other words

However,I recently got rid of my 26HT and bought a 29er HT. Took it off road for the first time on sunday at the R42 race in Nigel.

The confidence this bike gave me was huge, I can't say it handles worse in the singletrack sections, but on the dirt roads, and the more tchnical stuff its CHAMPION. I had a ball and have no doubt it was the better decision for me.

I am a big 1.87m, 94 kg oke, so the bigger bike suits me well, and I finished 5th in Vets, so the bike is fast too :)

I suppose as with all things in life and cycling, its diff strokes for diff folks

I suppose as with all things in life and cycling, its diff strokes for diff folks

Amen brother ..... :)

Not sure why people get so worked up by the different sizes. The point at the end of the day is that you are riding, and it could be a tricycle for that matter ... or a unicycle ;)

I am fortunate enough to have a 26 dual and 29HT. The 29 hurts more on long rides, yes rolling resistance better etc but how much time is spent going up,then you have to turn the wheels on every pedal and you work harder. Its fun but if you have 1 bike or want to do long rides...26 dual! Pros train hard, can ride anything!

what will happen when the 27,5inch takes hold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There I was hoping that there would be one week were someone wouldn't post a new topic on the 26vs29 debate. Where is TNT1 with his advice on how to use the search function...

Since you want my valuable contribution - horses for courses. Big open roads with rollers and climbs and some moderate technical stuff - 29er HT all the way. Tight technical stuff, or brutal multi-stage events - 26 FS.

And don't buy a 29er if you're the size of a garden gnome. It also requires a different style of riding completely, more suited to guys with power than those who like to spin.

Want to race - 29er, want to ride for fun - 26er.

So what do you do if you're the size of a garden gnome who wants to race ?? :(

I'll stick to a 26 inch wheel, thanks. thumbup1.gif

I'll stick to 17" thank you very much.

So what do you do if you're the size of a garden gnome who wants to race ?? :(

Look at it this way, dioesn't really matter how short you are as a road rider, pretty much evryone rides 29" wheels on the road, so why can't anyone, no matter how short also ride 29" off road?

Look at off road motorbikes, since the beginning of time, they have used a bigger front wheel diameter, and a bigger tyre diameter on the back.

Look at it this way, dioesn't really matter how short you are as a road rider, pretty much evryone rides 29" wheels on the road, so why can't anyone, no matter how short also ride 29" off road?

Look at off road motorbikes, since the beginning of time, they have used a bigger front wheel diameter, and a bigger tyre diameter on the back.

I'm on a medium (19") 26er and there are not many 29"ers that fit me. Most are too long. In some cases I have to drop down to a 17" S to get the correct top tube length.

I have decided no longer to bother with these debates but here's a comment from my Epic partner who rode a Niner HT :-

'A 29" HT is not in any way comparable to a 26" FS so don't let them try to fool you'

Spoken like a man who sat on one for 55 hours over 8 days.... Eina v@k!!

Well done for finishing!! :thumbup:

Sorry, I meant 17" wheels :rolleyes:

We had an strange sized wheel in the other day. Took an 18" tyre. Never seen that before.

I'm on a medium (19") 26er and there are not many 29"ers that fit me. Most are too long. In some cases I have to drop down to a 17" S to get the correct top tube length.

Dude, if mighty mouse can get a 29er to fit, anyone can, he's not exactly a giant.