Stolen Giant VT2

Ebe

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is how does the owner know its a legit bike.

I can walk in with my Santa Cruz and he has no idea whether its stolen goods or not

I would suspect that most of the shops selling 2nd hand bikes are probably without their knowing selling a stolen bike now and again

A few choice question would help, and getting peoples ID and information, If they cant produce this then the shop should not take the bike on its books. We all would agree it would be difficult but we need to start somewhere with stamping this out.

Where would this guy get a Specialized S-Works Full carbon Road bike with Ultegra to sell for R17,500?

Considering he would have to be making a mark-up if someone traded it in , that means if its legit someone would have sold it for under R15K , not to sure on road bike values but that seems like it could be a little cheap...

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-SPECIALIZED-S-WORKS-FULL-CARBON-ROAD-BIKE-W0QQAdIdZ276252545

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110419/082r1/07612n4_20.jpeg

Edited by SkyLark

Just a thought...

Someone wants to sell a bike,good chance(99.99%) that they have a cell phone which should be rica'd.Dealer asks for their number and phones it to make sure it is their number.

If anything ever happens well then at least we have another way of tracking the person down??

The worst thing about this, is not that this guys bike has been stolen(thats bad enough as it is), but rather that we all sit here complaining that we are getting hi-jacked left right & centre, bikes stolen from properties, its not safe to ride any where without fear of attack. So what are we as individuals or as a collective actually doing about this, the answer is nothing really. People complain that they don't want to share info, give details or serial nos. etc, but are more then happy to just get the old insurance payout and forget about it, it's absolute bullshite.

If we don't try doing more, then it can and will only get worse. It really saddens me that we even have to put up with this.

Just a thought...

Someone wants to sell a bike,good chance(99.99%) that they have a cell phone which should be rica'd.Dealer asks for their number and phones it to make sure it is their number.

If anything ever happens well then at least we have another way of tracking the person down??

Not all phone are Ricad,it's only people who have a fixed address.So it's more like 30% ;)

I gave my Lux address,to register 2 phones and they accepted it :D

Fork and hell it makes me angry! :cursing:

Fing bast@ards!

Maybe the insurance company will take the case further.

Can't believe this!!!

I only use crown cycles for servicing and repairing as they fix it in front of you as well as being friendly. Don't like dodgey shops.

Edited by Specialized <3

The worst thing about this, is not that this guys bike has been stolen(thats bad enough as it is), but rather that we all sit here complaining that we are getting hi-jacked left right & centre, bikes stolen from properties, its not safe to ride any where without fear of attack. So what are we as individuals or as a collective actually doing about this, the answer is nothing really. People complain that they don't want to share info, give details or serial nos. etc, but are more then happy to just get the old insurance payout and forget about it, it's absolute bullshite.

If we don't try doing more, then it can and will only get worse. It really saddens me that we even have to put up with this.

I agree we all sitting on a bloody forum complaining about bikes being stolen and cyclist's being shot,stabbed mugged,killed but we actually not doing anything! People are getting killed and because of Shops like this its not going to stop!

Surly some one on this forum has an idea of how to turn this into a good thing? We need to stand up and stop allowing this to happen at our local LBS's which will slowly drip through to the murderers taking these bikes.

We need to ask questions when buying second hand bikes and not think about how good the prices are, unfortunately bikes are so expensive these days that when an amazing deal comes along the buyer is to scared to ask or doesn't want to know why pricing is better than usual.I mean how many of you know that the second hand bike you bought does not have blood on it?

I agree we all sitting on a bloody forum complaining about bikes being stolen and cyclist's being shot,stabbed mugged,killed but we actually not doing anything! People are getting killed and because of Shops like this its not going to stop!

Surly some one on this forum has an idea of how to turn this into a good thing? We need to stand up and stop allowing this to happen at our local LBS's which will slowly drip through to the murderers taking these bikes.

We need to ask questions when buying second hand bikes and not think about how good the prices are, unfortunately bikes are so expensive these days that when an amazing deal comes along the buyer is to scared to ask or doesn't want to know why pricing is better than usual.I mean how many of you know that the second hand bike you bought does not have blood on it?

It needs to be on a national scale, make people more aware of it and whats actually occuring. It could be on the radio/ TV/ newspapers etc. The percentage of cyclists that are aware of these events taking place must be very low. People will walk into LBS stores blistfully unaware of where the bike could have come from. The proper procedures in taking details from these people bringing 2nd hand bikes into shops needs to be enforced.

What a bad shop, they only sell second hand stuff. Have no new bikes on the floor and the workers manners are pathetic.

I would never buy anything from that store. Also why would somebody just sell their bike when they can sell it on gumtree and make more money? I did that and it's a much better idea.

With Neil's Wheels being right next to cash crusaders people probably go to both and hope that they will end up with some cash in their back pocket.

@ Ebe and other guys that live in the area or know the shop.

Arrange with the detective and the Community Policing Officer for that area to go to the shop.

Take photos of his stock and serial numbers and load here so that other can see if they can ID there bikes.

Also ask SAPS to check his registers at the same time and look when last they were check,if he has no registers then SAPS can shut him down.The second hand act makes provision for that ;)

@ Ebe and other guys that live in the area or know the shop.

Arrange with the detective and the Community Policing Officer for that area to go to the shop.

Take photos of his stock and serial numbers and load here so that other can see if they can ID there bikes.

Also ask SAPS to check his registers at the same time and look when last they were check,if he has no registers then SAPS can shut him down.The second hand act makes provision for that ;)

I'm ashamed to admit but I don't know the serial numbers of any of the three bikes in our house. Going to write them down and file it straight away. Guess it's because I willingly haven't insured the bikes.

I'm ashamed to admit but I don't know the serial numbers of any of the three bikes in our house. Going to write them down and file it straight away. Guess it's because I willingly haven't insured the bikes.

Easiest way to file it is take a cell phone snap and mail it to your gmail account if you have one...