Shimano Pdm540 vs Eggbeaters?

mojopup

Shimano Pdm540 vs Eggbeaters  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Shimano pdm540s (the ones just below xt)
    • Eggbeaters

Sure, sure.... adjustment issues though.

But if the OP is price conscious then 540's are the boys!

Agree but Crankbrothers don't have any either.

I used EB on my previous mtb for 3 years. Works great - you never have to worry about getting the right side up to click in, just step on it. I have to admit they are probably not the most durable.

I bought a new Scott Spark 40 this year and it came with SPD505's - entry level. This must be the worst pedals I have ever used in my life, cannot believe Scott put it on a mid-level bike!

Changed to Look Quartz (on sale at CWC for R499) and they are working and looking great so far.

Their mechanics are fairly similar to EB, so you also get quite a lot of swivel, which I prefer. You can also determine the angle at which you're foot disengages by using different spacers provided with the cleats.

The Looks have the same soft click-in as the EB, as opposed to the harsher metal on metal feeling you get from SPD's. I went with the Looks because they seem to be more reliable and cost the same as the entry level EB, which you cannot rebuild as far as I know.

Edited by Polo

does it make you faster? All the hype about pedals...you guys improved in your times? Rather than EB being for weight weenies....did you notice any improvements in time?

Ive just changed all 4 bikes from CB to Shimano. A single bike I could deal with the maintenance but on four, it just gets too much. I only hear about zero maintenance from shimano users, although mud shedding is not as great as CB. I can feel the stiffness/zero float on the shimanos so I feel connected to the bike. Will see what happens come winter. Will be using XTR pedals for Sani.

does it make you faster? All the hype about pedals...you guys improved in your times? Rather than EB being for weight weenies....did you notice any improvements in time?

I don't think the discussion is about improving weight and therefore time.

My indications of weight directly relate to strength, durability and reliability. (and the ability to cut down trees, or not)

Guest agteros

I am currently riding on entry level spds and am having major uncleating issues and am falling way too often. Which of the above options is better? And yes, it has to be able to handle Sani2C, Sabie and everything else that I can throw my bike at.

Everybody neglects this, but what do your cleats look like? Maybe the problem is at the bottom of your shoes, and not the outside of the bike?

I don't think the discussion is about improving weight and therefore time.

My indications of weight directly relate to strength, durability and reliability. (and the ability to cut down trees, or not)

I know just think it ends up being a personal preference compared to you wallet....Strength and Durability I am sure a heavier pedal would be stronger as it is more solid....I been using the same set of PDM540 pedals for a good few years (considering I didnt cycle for a long time I would say atleast 5 years), it got bashed by rocks, went through mud....I only replaced the cleats the other day as I got a pair for free....otherwise the others is still fine. as for the mud....I used it through mud, just a quick bashing with the foot on the pedal and the mud falls out and then perfect again...also it has less play which I love as it feel more responsive....only maintenance done to it before is I lube the spring after a wash. So for the R500 spend or how much it was.....the best buy ever as nothing broke on it before....and if it break I will buy a set again as it lasted me such a long time....

Before buying anything, give your existing SPD's a quick squirt of Q20 from both sides (top and bottom). I really struggled to unclip before, was contemplating new pedals, so figured nothing to loose and did that on a whim. Now unclipping smooth as anything - without any other adjustment!

Somebody with more knowledge will most likely moér me for this advise, but they were about to be replaced anyways, so much did I struggle to unclip! A year on and I still have no issues.

Before buying anything, give your existing SPD's a quick squirt of Q20 from both sides (top and bottom). I really struggled to unclip before, was contemplating new pedals, so figured nothing to loose and did that on a whim. Now unclipping smooth as anything - without any other adjustment!

Somebody with more knowledge will most likely moér me for this advise, but they were about to be replaced anyways, so much did I struggle to unclip! A year on and I still have no issues.

Thanks will try this trick.

Just bumped into my Sani partner at Solomons just now. Didnt go with the eggbeaters cause its the entry level one and well, dont need a pedal to fall apart whilst riding. He has a pr of 520s for me which I will take. Will also replace the cleats under my shoes as precaution. I think I may just look at some 540s as well (that way I can have no probs on both mtbs)

Thanks for all your help everyone.

As with most things, it seems this is mostly about personal preference. I switched from Shimano to Crank Brothers and am happy. However, I prefer the Candy's to the Eggbeaters - they are awesome pedals. You get the benefit of the platform as well as mud clearance. Of course this comes at the cost of aadded weight.

look at one of the active posts "world cup photo's" ... except the DH dude, seems all others are on egg beaters. Yes, their bikes are built for 1 race at a time only and they are more concerned with efficiency / weight than durability, but all using egg beaters must say something about how great these pedals are. I will never go back to spd and have also never had any durability issues. on contrary i will probably break an SPD much quicker because it got clogged with mud / little stones and causes me to fall over like someone riding cleats for the first time...this ending up me smasing them until they break ;)

Eggbeaters or go home . I even got eggbeaters on my rigid MTB with the baby seat . A 5 minute job to rebuild , something I do once a year . SPD will never see me again .