What are the best MTB wheels?

Stevief

By best i mean the lightest/strongest most reliable and bang for your buck wheelset out there?

I ask as i was told the best way to upgrade your bike is to change the wheels. My current 317 mavics havent given me any issues they have been bulletproof on extrememly rough terrain. SO if i was to upgrade without breaking the bank what should i look at? Also what could i sell a 2nd hand pair of mavics 317 with dt swiss hubs for? They 1 year old on my giant trance.

Also how much better is xt groupsets vs slx groupset?

Sorry guys im just weighing up the pros and cons of upgrading my beast v buying a new bike.

Any help would be great

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold a set of oem gient wheels, also 317's and dt cerit hubs for a grand a while back.....

keep the SLX group and spend more on the wheels, you'll notice much more benefit at the wheels.

I have been running Mavic Crossmax SL on my Santa Cruz since 2007/8 with not a days issues.

Best in the west as far as I am concerned.I bought a lot of spare spokes just in case and they have been lying in the drawer at home.

If I were to get a 29er I would not hesitate to get the Mavic Crossmax for that as well.

There is a damn good deal on the Hub at the moment for an Anthem with those wheels

By best i mean the lightest/strongest most reliable and bang for your buck wheelset out there?

I ask as i was told the best way to upgrade your bike is to change the wheels. My current 317 mavics havent given me any issues they have been bulletproof on extrememly rough terrain. SO if i was to upgrade without breaking the bank what should i look at? Also what could i sell a 2nd hand pair of mavics 317 with dt swiss hubs for? They 1 year old on my giant trance.

Sorry guys im just weighing up the pros and cons of upgrading my beast v buying a new bike.

Any help would be great

As just mentioned the mavics are gr8 but boy at a price.

have a look at crc and see how much u can build a set up for. I did with xr 4.2 rims 240 hubs and competition spokes and cost me about 5k. They weighed 1600 g so were not the lightest but as lots of guys will tell u 240 hubs are so good and do last a long time.

cheers

I currently ride the crankbrothers cobalt's. They arent bad and looks great on the bike. However, i had to replace the freewheelbody after 500km even though that wheelset never saw wet track in its life. My favourite still is the mavic SLR's

bought some tubeless XT wheels...think it was R2999, weigh around 1.5kg...very light, strong also

+1

great because they are also TRUE UST, which means you can inflate your tyres without sealant and hence when you do put sealant in its used to plug punctures and not wasted on trying to hold the tyre on the rim with some (poorly executed?) conversions.

AM classic MTB disk

Is that because you sell them. :D

I think the same, I have a set and love them, they've put up with a bunch of crap and stayed true, fast an light. I perhaps would watch the weight limit of them if you're a little on the stout side and they are designed to be a light XC set so I'd be hesistant to throw them down >4foot dropoffs.

Is that because you sell them. :D

I think the same, I have a set and love them, they've put up with a bunch of crap and stayed true, fast an light. I perhaps would watch the weight limit of them if you're a little on the stout side and they are designed to be a light XC set so I'd be hesistant to throw them down >4foot dropoffs.

Maybe a little biased...but I also use them myself so i know they are good value.

Any help would be great

What is your weight and what is your budget?

Wait a few months before you buy XT,the new set is out soon and you will get some good deals on the current set ;)

Depends completely on what type of riding you do.

ZTR rims, Flow for AM/FR, Arch very aggressive trail or crest for XC racing

I-9 hubs, without a doubt - their complete wheelsets are second choice if you not a ZTR fan.

DT Swiss spokes unless you do the complete I-9 wheelset.

http://www.industrynine.net/

FWIW, Shimano wheels are good, but heavy for what you get with average at best engagement rate.

Hope Pro-II hubs are light and affordable, their engagement rate is not the best, worse than I-9, but definitely my second choice for hubs, only slightly heavier than the I-9's.

You can obviously always go Chris King, which is the hub always used to compare I-9 to.

26er or 29er?

fulcrum red metals in both 29 and 26 seem to be good wheels. CRC has a special on the fives