I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

The life of a cow :thumbdown:

Find out about the milk you are buying - how ethical is the company that you support - remember supply and demand.

Utter (udder) BS. I grew up on a milk farm. Maybe the mass producers uses these methods, but all the milk farmers I know will absolutely laugh at this diagram. This is a typical example of let's make a nice diagram and play with the readers feelings to let them accept my personal view.

Things like the dehorning is done by some, but it's so that the cow's won't "stab" each other. And because it's done at a young age, the pain is minimal and over in seconds.

The veal is raised as a meat producer and will be sold to a Abattoir at a older stage.

I can't help but to laugh at this.

Just my 5c.

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter (udder) BS. I grew up on a milk farm. Maybe the mass producers uses these methods, but all the milk farmers I know will absolutely laugh at this diagram. This is a typical example of let's make a nice diagram and play with the readers feelings to let them accept my personal view.

Things like the dehorning is done by some, but it's so that the cow's won't "stab" each other. And because it's done at a young age, the pain is minimal and over in seconds.

The veal is raised as a meat producer and will be sold to a Abattoir at a older stage.

I can't help but to laugh at this.

Just my 5c.

I think you'll find the reality of mass producing milk in somewhere like the USA where that pic is from is very different to your childhood.

I think you'll find the reality of mass producing milk in somewhere like the USA where that pic is from is very different to your childhood.

I agree. But I would think it only depicts the extremeties.

Like I said, the dehorning isn't as cruel as the author would like us to believe. I don't know the US laws, but milk with mastitis is turned down in RSA. And it gets tested on every batch. If one cow has mastitis, all the milk in the tank is turned down. So indicating that 30-50% may suffer from this, tells us that 30-50% of the milk batches should be turned down. And another cruatial flaw in the piece: cows aren't constantly pregnant. Cows are pregnent once a year. A large part of the pregnancy the cow won't give milk and will also start producing colostrum.

I take the whole piece with a pinch of salt.

I agree. But I would think it only depicts the extremeties.

Like I said, the dehorning isn't as cruel as the author would like us to believe. I don't know the US laws, but milk with mastitis is turned down in RSA. And it gets tested on every batch. If one cow has mastitis, all the milk in the tank is turned down. So indicating that 30-50% may suffer from this, tells us that 30-50% of the milk batches should be turned down. And another cruatial flaw in the piece: cows aren't constantly pregnant. Cows are pregnent once a year. A large part of the pregnancy the cow won't give milk and will also start producing colostrum.

I take the whole piece with a pinch of salt.

I concur with Gunzo, the bacterial testing in South Africa to a dairy farmer is extreme. Plate counts just slightly off results in batch rejection. We still have medium to large scale private dairy producers with high ethical standards (it will change as the markets get tougher), however, milk is still produced by owners of the cattle and not managers or conglemerates, so a fair bit of caring goes into it.

As for dehorning, it is done to protect the cows from injuring each other as they are kept in confined areas pre and post milking, the rest of the day they wander and graze.

Typical vegan/vegetarian poop to make you feel guilty...me, I'm popping out for a pint of Orange Grove's best!

And they say south Africa is dangerous!!!! Different sport same flavor......met eish ja met eish did you see his t shirt lift while rolling at 60kmh imagine that roastie!!!

I can younger Hubbers trying to work out how the hell their Lenzyne or Rav-X fits on.

I still am...

I can younger Hubbers trying to work out how the hell their Lenzyne or Rav-X fits on.

It is not for pumps like that, it is for CO2 canisters. You impale the bomb on the spike ......

forgot about those...the pump used to fit across the whole top tube!

forgot about those...the pump used to fit across the whole top tube!

Like this

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/udx-bmx/scan0055.jpg

You ever stash your pump along the seatstay?