• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I only count 5 as well?

Agree with you guys, but I guess she has a MAJOR following and sort of revolutionised talk shows on the most influential medium for the 'haus-fraus' all over the world.

Agree with you guys, but I guess she has a MAJOR following and sort of revolutionised talk shows on the most influential medium for the 'haus-fraus' all over the world.

They probably never watched her show...

ph34r.png

Who's the guy on the bottom right?

EDIT: if you confuse left and right I guess it's late in the week...

Edited by Servetus

I have this thing about abandoned buildings & places. These are Detroit station and theatre. Apparently the city is becoming a ghost town with something like a third to half the inhabitants having left since the 80s.

post-14151-0-73573900-1355498894_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-71822100-1355498935_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-71513300-1355500693_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-55797200-1355500775_thumb.jpg

From Wiki: In 1987, the Walled City of Kowloon contained 33,000 residents within its 6.5-acre (0.026 km2; 0.0102 sq mi) borders. From the 1950s to the 1970s, it was controlled by Triads and had high rates of prostitution, gambling, and drug use.

In January 1987, the Hong Kong government announced plans to demolish the Walled City. After an arduous eviction process, demolition began in March 1993 and was completed in April 1994.

Hillbrow & Berea, eat your heart out ...

post-14151-0-31911200-1355501143_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeTurbo

I have this thing about abandoned buildings & places. These are Detroit station and theatre. Apparently the city is becoming a ghost town with something like a third to half the inhabitants having left since the 80s.

Do you know what the reason for them leaving is/was?

Edited by Helpmytrap

The American motor car industry collapsed.

Although I was in Detroit last year and it was still very busy, not sure where those photos were taken, but in any city you will find derelict buildings, just drive around JHB, but yeah, Detroit suffered a heavy blow with the car industry moving offshore and of course the recent collapse.

http://www.goodnet.org/photos/620x0/18472.jpg?1355492346

Only Einstein and Ghandi were influential...the rest were just famous. Ok, perhaps Al Gore as well....

Like Grumpy says, the motor vehicle companies closed up show, and there were lots of riots at the time. Whites who could moves out to the suburbs leaving the blacks and hispanics to fend for themselves. The result is Detroit today. If you are sceptic, google it.

http://www.amren.com...ory-about-race/

"Considering the fact that the city of De­troit is 83 per cent black (and a further 7 per cent Hispanic), you see an awful lot of white faces around TechTown, and for that matter, at Quicken Loans."

Edit: As of 2012, Detroit is 89% black.

Pretty much the same as with Haiti.

http://www.stormfron...race/haiti.html

Edited by Azonic

The motor industry collapse is one reason postulated. Others are bad city governance and poor racial integration. Or that the city was more concerned about what it did than how it looked. But nobody seems to be able to pin-point a particular fact or date or occurence. Some same it's been happening since the city started. There are some signs of resurgence apparently, but too late for these stately buildings. I love that station (first pic).

Ian Ference, a photographer and historian living in New York, has spent nearly four years documenting the remains of North Brother Island, a 13-acre piece of land sandwiched between Riker's Island and the Bronx in the East River that's been abandoned since 1963.

During the first half of the 20th century, North Brother "was home to the quarantine hospital that housed Typhoid Mary, was the final destination of the General Slocum during its tragic final voyage, and was the site of an experimental drug treatment program which failed due to corruption," according to Ference.

Today, the island is off limits to the general public. From March through September, it serves as a nesting ground for a number of endangered seabirds.

post-14151-0-90048500-1355508838_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-93935300-1355508866_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-35312500-1355508898_thumb.jpg