• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes please!!! Except I don't wanna pay for it. LOL. That high, with a view of CP THAT good!? Mega millions.

:ph34r: I can't even afford to tip the doorman in that kind of location.

But something seems odd about it to me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's as if it is an impossible angle. Too high up for any apartment building I can think of in that area. The real tall buildings are all much further down Manhattan. Could it be a composite?

:ph34r: I can't even afford to tip the doorman in that kind of location.

But something seems odd about it to me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's as if it is an impossible angle. Too high up for any apartment building I can think of in that area. The real tall buildings are all much further down Manhattan. Could it be a composite?

Could also be a long lens, so the perspective would be off... digging now. 

Aaaaand found. 300m (1000ft) above ground level, so the perspective is right. And bloody amazing!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/t-magazine/hiroshi-sugimoto-architect-manhattan.html

But as Sugimoto contemplated the commission, the idea of “just a tearoom” began to metamorphose into something bigger, more ambitious. The couple’s original architect had dropped out, leaving the 7,700-square-foot apartment, located on an upper floor of a skyscraper in the middle of Manhattan, untouched, with bare walls and dusty cement floors. The couple had already visited a few architectural works of Sugimoto’s in Tokyo, including a restaurant in Aoyama and an art gallery in Ginza. They wondered: Would Sugimoto be interested in designing the entire apartment? He agreed, though both sides were unaware that it would eventually require four years, multiple trips to Japan, the shipping of rare materials (stones salvaged from an old Kyoto tram station, enormous planks of ancient cedar wood) from Japan to New York, the flying in and housing of specialized craftsmen from Japan to complete finishing details, the training of New York-based contractors in other site-specific tasks and the dedicated input of several experts, including the Brooklyn-based architects Susan Yun and Felix Ade of Yun Architecture; the main contractor, Xhema of New York; and the former curator of the bonsai collection at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Julian Velasco, who imported and shaped two ficus trees grown in Florida, 75 and 85 years old, for an indoor garden Sugimoto designed.

Today, the finished apartment is a totalitarian vision — every room conforming to the one before it, each made completely in, as Sugimoto calls it, “Japanese style,” hung at the client’s request exclusively with his artwork and furnished with his custom-made furniture and light fixtures. It is unlike any home I have encountered, for a home, even the most luxurious, normally offers at least occasional hints of its owner’s personality, from a misplaced leather couch to a plant that survived a previous marriage to the inevitable smaller clashes in style of two people forced to share a space. But that was not the case here. No, this entire apartment was — as Sugimoto made sure I understood — entirely a work of art.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

:ph34r: I can't even afford to tip the doorman in that kind of location.

Article:

The artist Hiroshi Sugimoto’s first architectural project in New York City is a defiant celebration of a bygone age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/t-magazine/hiroshi-sugimoto-architect-manhattan.html#click=https://t.co/i9aUOnX9de

Yeah, that'd be a condo in the tens of millions USD. 7,700 SQ ft = 850sqm

Average Manhattan price currently $1800 per SQ ft, high end properties like that, closer to $10 000 per SQ ft.

That would put that property around $77m or near as makes no difference R1bn

Edited by Patchelicious

What an amazing place. Great article also. Nobody comes even close to the Japanese when it comes to beauty in simplicity. That apartment is to architecture what a fixie is to cycling - the essence distilled!

Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

Room with a view.

DzCAasnU8AEoTbj.jpg

I stayed at a place once with a sea view from the bathroom. It had a massive window and from both bath and shower you looked out at the sea. As soon as you turned the hot water on the window steamed up and you couldn't see bugger all. Also they had someone clean the windows daily, you had to plan your "visit" accordingly.