Best exersise for quad development?

It has become painfully apparent that I need to strengthen my quads. How can I do this?

During the Houw Hoek tour my quads cramped 5kms towards the end of Day1 and about 20km towards the end of day2. I managed to ride through it, but my quads are very sore today. I didn’t even come close to my peak heart rate, so my fitness is good.

I have been spinning (60 minutes) and MTB'ing at least 3-4 times a weak (Tokai - all the single track up to silvermine gate, and at least once a month Noordhoek peak) I also try to road ride up the glen to top of signal hill and then to the end of tafelberg road on my road bike, a couple times a month.

I understand that I have poor leg genetics, but I NEED to get them stronger - How?

Nutrition is not the issue as i was well hydrated and stopped to have a snack at each water point as well as an energy bar in between.

Hi Chubba,

Trying to just get your quads stronger is unfortunately not gonna solve your problem. PM me so I can help you with advice and a 12 week training program I have developed. Don't worry Its free, no string attached. A few other guys here on the hub have already received the program and my training philosophy which is currently doing wonders for me and my friends.

Hi Chubba,

Trying to just get your quads stronger is unfortunately not gonna solve your problem. PM me so I can help you with advice and a 12 week training program I have developed. Don't worry Its free, no string attached. A few other guys here on the hub have already received the program and my training philosophy which is currently doing wonders for me and my friends.

Could you maybe send it to me aswell

Leg strength is rarely a limiting factor in cycling, the only race where it makes any difference is the 500m and 1k TT on the track. If you can squat down so your knee joing is at 90deg your legs are strong enough to cycle. Cramping is not caused by leg muscles not being strong enough ! Ride more, harder, faster, longer that will solve your problem.

Get a singlespeed. Seriously. That way you can "weight train" and still ride. Works for me.

Echoing Racer X - for the singletrack on the way down, put your seatpost lower and rest on your quads. You'll be amazed at how fatigued your quads are at the bottom, especially if you've been giving it stick on the downhills. Don't sit down on the way down, rather let your legs (as opposed to your ass) abosrb the bumps and jumps. Your quads will gain a lot of strength in a short amount of time... It's kinda like doing one long, drawn out 20 to 30 minute squat, with your bodyweight as the squat...

Just keep your pedals flat and your butt off the back of the seat!

AFAIK your quads will cramp because you are working them more than what you do during normal training rides, but this isn't the be all and end all. It could also be hydration and nutrition that plays an important role.

my 2c.

Swartpiet - would love to have a look at that training prog too thx.

AFAIK your quads will cramp because you are working them more than what you do during normal training rides, but this isn't the be all and end all. It could also be hydration and nutrition that plays an important role.

my 2c.

Swartpiet - would love to have a look at that training prog too thx.

Spot on. I used to suffer from huge cramps in my calves on a weekly basis. Then I changed my diet (from all *** to hardly any ***) and they've almost entirely disappeared. And when they do appear, they're much less intense.

Also, do not forget muscular imbalances. If you are going to train or strengthen quads, you need to train/strengthen your hamstrings too.

Squats/lunges/leg press are all pretty good exercises to strengthen the quads, but they must be executed correctly to avoid knee and lower back problems.

Legs curls and stiff legged dead lifts are perfect for the hamstrings.

It has become painfully apparent that I need to strengthen my quads. How can I do this?

During the Houw Hoek tour my quads cramped 5kms towards the end of Day1 and about 20km towards the end of day2. I managed to ride through it, but my quads are very sore today. I didn’t even come close to my peak heart rate, so my fitness is good.

I have been spinning (60 minutes) and MTB'ing at least 3-4 times a weak (Tokai - all the single track up to silvermine gate, and at least once a month Noordhoek peak) I also try to road ride up the glen to top of signal hill and then to the end of tafelberg road on my road bike, a couple times a month.

I understand that I have poor leg genetics, but I NEED to get them stronger - How?

Nutrition is not the issue as i was well hydrated and stopped to have a snack at each water point as well as an energy bar in between.

I had the exact same issue in the Sabie race as well as Saturday's Lionman. I went prepared with my USN Cramp Block and though I felt that it worked a bit, I still cramped 'n little and my right leg's quad muscles are extremely sore today.

I also ensured to stay well hydrated (finished 1 bottle of 32GI, finished one bottle of water, had two small cups of coke at most water points, had two bananas and one packet of 32GI chews).

My training rides are quite hard, but I have noticed that I stop more during training rides.

I'm doing Magalies Monster in two weeks and would also like some pointers on what to do different.

Edited by zaShadow

I had the exact same issue in the Sabie race as well as Saturday's Lionman. I went prepared with my USN Cramp Block and though I felt that it worked a bit, I still cramped 'n little and my right leg's quad muscles are extremely sore today.

I also ensured to stay well hydrated (finished 1 bottle of 32GI, finished one bottle of water, had two small cups of coke at most water points, had two bananas and one packet of 32GI chews).

My training rides are quite hard, but I have noticed that I stop more during training rides.

I'm doing Magalies Monster in two weeks and would also like some pointers on what to do different.

PM me and let me help you in the right direction. Just know that there;s not always a quick solution.

Also, do not forget muscular imbalances.

This was part of my problem. I had a knee injury that caused me to favour my right leg over the left, so the right was doing more work and cramping.

There could also be a setup issue that causes you to favour your quads over your glutes and other muscles.

This was part of my problem. I had a knee injury that caused me to favour my right leg over the left, so the right was doing more work and cramping.

There could also be a setup issue that causes you to favour your quads over your glutes and other muscles.

Have done the set-up which helped a bit. On longer distances i cramp.

Have done the set-up which helped a bit. On longer distances i cramp.

On longer distances i cramp.

Take a teaspoon of PCP and harden the f*ck up!