Riding up the DOWNhills at Tokai

grb285

Well done guys for doing maintenance!

Wish I stayed closer to Tokai to help you guys out. You Tokai locals should be proud of what you have.

Not many people have such a beautiful forest to share and do all sort of activities. Not many people are willing to sacrifice their time to look after the tracks.

But on a more serious note...we all have to respect each other on the tracks, whether pushing up or flying down at 25km/h. And use common sense when riding.

Here David16V, this one is just for you!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see this thread has been kinda quiet for a while, does this mean the UP vs DOWN has been resolved?...

I am a relative newbie to the sport and am thoroughly bitten by the bug, live near Tokai and am there as much as possible, mostly sticking to jeep tracks. But recently I have been giving the single tracks a go down hill. I have read through this thread and still a bit confused.....are only the DH sections one way with some single tracks both ways? Which is which?

So there I was today trying to go down some of the single tracks (dunno if these are "DH" or not but to me the single tracks all go down the hill! so they DH right? Anyway, sheez what fun until I came across some guys suddenly appearing in front of me going UP HILL!! Didn't seem like the right thing to do so I made a comment only to be told that you can go up hill....(I was on Mamba), then further down, just getting into this whole thing and DAMN more guys coming up a single track, hidden from view, near the bottom end of Vasbyt....near collision!!! Then AGAIN at Fairy Garden, a whole bunch of guys!

Besides the fact that irrespective of whether the track is "DH" or "single track", I really feel that if the track can only accommodate one rider ie single track and it used to get down the hill (I saw no prominent signs warning me not to go downhill), then there should only be one way traffic on these tracks. How can you enjoy a DOWN hill run if you constantly have to worry about someone coming UP the same track?

One other thing that really spoilt the run for me was that not one of those guys (well maybe one guy who hide behind a tree on Mamba while his mate continued up hill past me!) even bothered to get out of the way....I had to stop! And wait till they were all past. I even got lip!!! If I didn't stop, I would have come a cropper everytime!

Surely common sense prevails, NO UP the single tracks, and if there are UPs then there should be barriers and big signs at the top to prevent guys going DOWN an UP! and vice versa.

SO maybe someone can tell me:

At Tokai, which is ONLY DOWN and which is BOTH (the ones I will avoid!)?

Rant over, made it home in one piece! Stoked!

The only reason for the guys riding up those single tracks is purely for training. They don't do it to piss people off! I used to ride the single tracks up as its really good training.

PoS can clarify which zones are a no-go for riding up, but as far as I know fairie garden, boulders, mamba and boomslang can be used in both directions.

OK, I'll take a stab at answering that one..

Tokai is going through a gradual change in terms of directional trails, it is gardual to minimise the shock of peoples "favourite trails" becoming uni-directional. Fact is, the amount of riders on the trails does not allow the bi-direction that has been enjoyed for so many years. It is unfortunate especially as I am the one instituting the change, so I have a lot of explaining to do, there I go again..

Certain trails have already been marked one way down due to blind corners and the hazard of speed on those trails.. Add the amount of riders heading up to the amount of riders heading down and you will come out at a figure roughly at 650 riders per day on weekends, incredible that nothing more serious than a "choon" has ever transpired. If you read some of the thread you will know what I mean, damn, it got quite heated at one point!

The current downhill designated trails are as follows:

• The Downhill - "Roadgap" (right at the top) DH1, DH2, Vasbyt (big red berm) and DH3. This is non-negotiable, down only! - As an uphill detour to the contentious Vasbyt trail, Bluegum (to the right into the trees at the bottom of Vasbyt) has been reworked and offers a cool spin up the hill.
  • Your Roots - From the bottom to where it meets My Roots, down only.
  • Boomslang (Ruins) - As you enter while climbing, the trail immediately to the right is marked no entry, down only.
  • Not on the map nor signposted, but known as the 'intermediate trail' and can be found at the intersection of DH1 and Boulders trail, down only. Careful for this one..

For now, all the other trails are bi-directional. The next soon to be added to the down list is...

• Snake eyes - heading down, the split to the right, soon down only.

More will be added as the Fynbos grows. Plenty of blind corners coming.. :(| An idea of timed trails is being toyed with, but I will save that for another thread..

Who has right of way? So far downhill is in the lead with flow on it's side. The reward of the long climb is the downhill and based on pure joy, down the hill riders are still enjoying the right to ride down. - Remember this argument will continue forever, or until the sign says so, so until it is written in black and white take any on-trail earbending with a pinch of salt. We are all trying to have fun!! :)

The only reason for the guys riding up those single tracks is purely for training. They don't do it to piss people off! I used to ride the single tracks up as its really good training.

PoS can clarify which zones are a no-go for riding up, but as far as I know fairie garden, boulders, mamba and boomslang can be used in both directions.

Hi David, are we seeing you this summer? Incredible that this thread has been in hibernation for so long, and as it wakes who shows up..? *walaaaa* David16V..

:clap: Missed you man!

OK Shot PoS, bit of a dilemma this, the easier down hill tracks for newbies like myself seem to be the ones where most likley I will come across opposing traffic! Makes sense I suppose, easy to go down, easy to ride up...So its a bigger helmet and accelerated education in the art of true DH!

Hi David, are we seeing you this summer? Incredible that this thread has been in hibernation for so long, and as it wakes who shows up..? *walaaaa* David16V..

:clap: Missed you man!

Will be back around mid March to April so I plan on doing plenty riding. Not so sure about Tokai as I've heard the trails have taken a turn for the worst from the weather. Also heard that the single entry fee is stupidly expensive! Will be doing most of my riding in Stellenbosch and Grabouw.

OK Shot PoS, bit of a dilemma this, the easier down hill tracks for newbies like myself seem to be the ones where most likley I will come across opposing traffic! Makes sense I suppose, easy to go down, easy to ride up...So its a bigger helmet and accelerated education in the art of true DH!

Only one way to learn, right?

I miss that oke that used to live under a bridge or something.

ooh, disco lights.. mesmerised.

I will not be baited.. not. be. baited.

Will be back around mid March to April so I plan on doing plenty riding. Not so sure about Tokai as I've heard the trails have taken a turn for the worst from the weather. Also heard that the single entry fee is stupidly expensive! Will be doing most of my riding in Stellenbosch and Grabouw.

David, much has changed.. really no Tokai for you?? I can't believe.

ooh, disco lights.. mesmerised.

I will not be baited.. not. be. baited.

Only cause you probably wanted the bridge over the puddle...

it was supposed to be a bridge not a home, but squatting rights kicked in somewhere.. and it was the trail fairies remember, no one actually works on the trails.

Maybe Tokai for the odd ride, if I don't get attacked on a night ride!

Keep up the work on the trails, whenever and whatever your plans are for Tokai.

@ Capediver

I agree with Pain or Shine re. the "strictly downhill" tracks, absolutely necessary and make sense from a safety point of view. They have all been marked with no entry signs at their lower exits.

I'm one of the riders that ride the rest of the single track both up and down. Riding up those tracks is incredibly good technical training that teaches you bike skills a lot faster than riding down them. It also allows you time to check for changes to the track after rain or maintenance. That way you won't get a nasty surprize when you ride down.

I don't ride up during the busy times because it is not fun to stop too often to let riders coming down pass. I think it is possible to have bi-directional traffic without safety issues as long as all riders use a little common sense. You have to look ahead and plan ahead when riding single track or you will come second anyway.

In the longer term, it would be wonderful to have a totally unidirectional trail system at Tokai, but that will mean almost doubling the current trails, something that will take time to get approved with SANParks (environmental impact studies etc.) and more time and funding to build. Hopefully it will happen before my legs give in.

Meanwhile, I think we can get along just fine riding both up and down the XC single tracks.

It's less than a tube, please rather spend triple that on petrol money and stay away.