Ideal jacket for winter riding?

Beer4Recovery

If it's the store in Woodmead that used to sell them for R85 it is UV. I went last winter and they told me they had sold out a long time ago.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody I know bought a yellow jacket with reflective strips from Asmals in Pinetown a while back for less that R100. Problem was that it was TOO warm to ride with in Durban's winter...

Hi,

With the colder conditions upon us, I would like to know what kind of jacket to choose when riding my mtb in the winter months.

At the moment i am using only arm warmers. And a normal fleece jackets gets too hot & sweaty. What is your winter apparel?

I came across this one

What do you suggest ? :unsure:

Winter apparel - what's that - oh ya - i forgot - i live in Durban.

Seriously - all we need is a set of arm warmers

I find that I get wet from the inside...if a jacket is not breathable, i sweat it wet and then get cold from being wet inside.

So much so - my rain jacket is brilliant in keeping the sweat inside!! Wettre inside than outside :lol: :lol:

It depends. A cheap uncoated breathable windbreaker a la mamapara or a Cape Storm or FA cycle specific job will work well to block the cold wind, but do little for water. So if you're in Cape Town and intend riding in the rain, you may need a proper breathable coated rain jacket. Better still, when its raining, stay in bed with someone warm and friendly and get some proper exersise ;)

It depends. A cheap uncoated breathable windbreaker a la mamapara....

The one I'm talking about is a thermal lined jacket that looks quite expensive. There is not plastic in it at all.

It depends. A cheap uncoated breathable windbreaker a la mamapara or a Cape Storm or FA cycle specific job will work well to block the cold wind, but do little for water. So if you're in Cape Town and intend riding in the rain, you may need a proper breathable coated rain jacket. Better still, when its raining, stay in bed with someone warm and friendly and get some proper exersise ;)

Exactly!

It's also safer.

Ever seen anyone hit by a car while in bed getting "proper exercise"? :thumbup:

Ever seen anyone hit by a car while in bed getting "proper exercise"? :thumbup:

Not by a car but with a baseball bat. Especially when the "exercise equipment" is not his.

Whatever jacket you end up with, ad one of these as an undershirt and you're well sorted:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/ZXOOCLMER190/on-one-merino-190g-baselayer-bundle

Merino wool baselayers are the best thing since pneumatic tyres. Wicking is great and they still keep you warm even when sopping wet (with rain or sweat) which is the best thing about wool, and they don't clunk. If you're a siff boy (or just packed badly for your 3-day stage race) you can wear the same one for 3 days in a row and it will still not smell anything like your lycra stuff after day 1

I've got 2 Endura ones, but they're around R400 each last I checked on CRC, at GBP65 for 2 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve, I'm definitely getting these On One ones.

Any no they do not scratch, they only use nice soft New Zealand merino wool from sheep that have only ever lived indoors.... in some Kiwi's bedroom :D

I find that I get wet from the inside...if a jacket is not breathable, i sweat it wet and then get cold from being wet inside.

So much so - my rain jacket is brilliant in keeping the sweat inside!! Wettre inside than outside :lol: :lol:

Ditto, I sweat like a horse - I found - a wind resistant undershirt - summer jersey and light jacket(not necessarily an expensive "cycling" one) works best, coupled with arm warmers if needed.

As for the hands - I have yet to find a solution - tried layering gloves/thick gloves/ no gloves/thin gloves/lined gloves - my hands always end up dead and frozen...

Feet don't do too well in winter either, but toe caps and Belgian booties tend to be best options as it allows feet to breathe and not merely trap in msweat - which gets pretty cold...

I got myself an Anatomic Super Shell, seems quite similar in function to a Magneto. Nice and light, ventilation under the arms and at the back, and water "repellant". Should be ok with it I guess. I have a long sleeve undershirt etc.

Any of you with same jacket and your opinion of it?

Hayley, where can you get one at that price?

I know of someone who is looking for one too.

I bought mine at Chris Willemse in Tyger Valley for R599..