Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

12 apostles

I am planning a ride there soon.

Some critique, I notice that many folks tend to have a heavy hand with saturation in editing, seeking that HDR feel. Pulling it back somewhat will prevent the red jersey from being blown out and garish. I never used to add more than at most 8 - 12 % saturation on a pick, and only when needed.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my arse off the couch and used the big glass for the first time in a long time. Man it was good!

When you're still buff front and back but a bit middle aged and jowly in profile and lock down hasn't helped.

post-41145-0-96440000-1596782471_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-18532800-1596782517_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-28300500-1596782529_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-14244000-1596782542_thumb.jpg

Finally got my arse off the couch and used the big glass for the first time in a long time. Man it was good!..........

A day with a leopard in it is always a good day (unless you are shredded of course)  :thumbup:

I want to buy one of these. Anybody want to sell one?

mic.jpg

I gave up on that!

That has to be the dumbest design to connect a microphone to an action cam.

Once you connect that black box, that is almost bigger than the GoPro itself, where do you put it and where do you mount your mic? You dont want it dangling freely from your GoPro and risk it being pulled out!! Or even worse, it starts swinging around causing more of a ruckus than the built in mic's!

You need to get an additional case, specific to your GoPro, to mount all these extras. And you wont be able to use that case between the 7 to the 8, for instance.

The media pod on the Hero8 seems a better option.

My final decision was to record sound separately on an external device and then just sync the tracks in post (all equipment I already have, so it works for me)

Edited by Tankman

Can't help but agree but you gotta deal with what you have. I have decided that sounds (Decent commentary and music) are important for an interesting video and that is costs a bit.

What did you use to record sound? Could be a solution for me too.

I bought the 8 after much deliberation and have already found a couple of things I like as opposed to opinions expressed on numerous videos I watched on it before buying. The things I don't like and therefore need to take care of are:

1. Mic. As you have indicated that device is a pain but it's revenue for them and I don't see them dispensing with it.

2. Lens protection.

My solution - costly of course - is to buy the adapter as above and then get this case which not only has a storage space for it but also place for lens filters.  I hope it will solve both problems.Just trying to find an oversea supplier who will ship to SA. Most won't.

Here it is:

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/for-gopro-8/products/ulanzi-g8-5-vlog-metal-cage-52mm-filter-adapter-chargeable-battery-lid-for-gopro-8

Your thoughts?

Can't help but agree but you gotta deal with what you have. I have decided that sounds (Decent commentary and music) are important for an interesting video and that costs a bit.

I bought the 8 after much deliberation and have already found a couple of things I like as opposed to opinions expressed on numerous videos I watched on it before buying. The things I don't like and therefore need to take care of are:

1. Mic. As you have indicated that device is a pain but it's revenue for them and I don't see them dispensing with it.

2. Lens protection.

My solution - costly of course - is to buy the adapter as above and then get this case which not only has a storage space for it but also place for lens filters.  I hope it will solve both problems.Just trying to find an oversea supplier who will ship to SA. Most won't.

Here it is:

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/for-gopro-8/products/ulanzi-g8-5-vlog-metal-cage-52mm-filter-adapter-chargeable-battery-lid-for-gopro-8

Your thoughts?

Edit: Grammar

Can't help but agree but you gotta deal with what you have. I have decided that sounds (Decent commentary and music) are important for an interesting video and that is costs a bit.

2. Lens protection.

My solution - costly of course - is to buy the adapter as above and then get this case which not only has a storage space for it but also place for lens filters. I hope it will solve both problems.Just trying to find an oversea supplier who will ship to SA. Most won't.

Here it is:

Your thoughts?

If you have the 8, why not just get the media mod from GoPro? Then you dint need that ugly black box.

Around $80 and should be much easier to get from Orms, Omnico, Outdoorphoto or Extreme Accessories.

It has an additional external mic with a jack to add you own mic and 2 hot shoe mounting slots.

Not sure about the lens protection as I have the 7,so not stressed about that.

The only time sound is important to me, is when I am doing a quick interview and someone is talking. 99% of the time we are stationary during these.

The rest of the sounds you can download from the net, from birds chirping to spokes spinning to tjops sizzling.

I have a Rode Mini Video mic with the correct cable that allows me to record directly to my phone... but that has to be mounted somewhere again and I have a rig from a tripod head that I use but too much hassle.

I also have a lav mic that can record directly to my phone, it has a very long cable which is good. They on Takealot for around R300, Boya Lav Mic.

Prefer using this one!

In extreme wind conditions, the R300 lav mic beats the R1000 video mic even with deadcat, hands down.

The media mod won't solve the lens protection problem. Unlike previous models, the 8 does not have a replaceable lens so if it is damaged in any way the whole camera must be replaced. Ouch.

And the Media mod doesn't offer a mount for a lens cover or protector.

Strange I know but hey..

One thing I forgot to mention is that I will predominantly be using this on my motorbike, not MTB (I think) so sound is quite important for atmosphere. There will be some off-the-bike shots too and I have a lav mike for that but of course need the adapter.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated. 

A day with a leopard in it is always a good day (unless you are shredded of course)  :thumbup:

Indeed, not having it chewing on your shoulder while giving you kitty rash with the back legs is considered optimal.

The old man above's son, he lay and ate the suckling nyala from nose to tail, but the back hooves did give him fur balls for a bit.

post-41145-0-14985600-1596798929_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-78943300-1596798940_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-21441500-1596798963_thumb.jpg

The media mod won't solve the lens protection problem. Unlike previous models, the 8 does not have a replaceable lens so if it is damaged in any way the whole camera must be replaced. Ouch.

And the Media mod doesn't offer a mount for a lens cover or protector.

Strange I know but hey..

One thing I forgot to mention is that I will predominantly be using this on my motorbike, not MTB (I think) so sound is quite important for atmosphere. There will be some off-the-bike shots too and I have a lav mike for that but of course need the adapter.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated.

Strange indeed, having an action cam without a replaceable lens.

On my 3 I replaced the lens twice. The 7 is still holding stong.

One thing I have seen the guys do with the 8, is to switch off the auto mic selecting function (not sure of the correct terms right now, its Friday afternoo) and selecting only the rear facing mic to eliminate as much wind noise as possible.

On the motorbike, you are face with plenty of wind noise unfortunately.

Edited by Tankman

Finally got my arse off the couch and used the big glass for the first time in a long time. Man it was good!

When you're still buff front and back but a bit middle aged and jowly in profile and lock down hasn't helped.

attachicon.gif_DSC3324.JPG

attachicon.gif_DSC3340.JPG

attachicon.gif_DSC3344.JPG

Just a quick question.

The tones in your first and third pics, are really rich. However your second image looks more "white" as if you are shooting into the sun.

Is this because of the settings you used or were you actually shooting into the sun?

As an aside, what were the settings of the images? And also, did you do this on purpose? Asking because this always happens on my images and they always seem more "white" or over exposed.