Hi jacking at chickenfarm 28/5

Bastiaan

Our group of 6 got hi jacked Saturday morning at the dirt crossing approx 1,5 km past chicken farm on Schurveberg road. 5-7 guys armed with a gun and knife held up the group and took the bikes,helmets,wallets,riding glasses etc.Thereafter they disappeared over the hill in the direction of the Cheese farm. They even tried to pull one of the female riders into the bushes. PLEASE be carefull and avoid this route.They took 2x Treks, 1x Felt, 1x KTM ,1x Giant and 1 Merida-all softails.When is this going to stop-where in hell's name are we supposed to ride?

That sucks dude! These kind of things make me so angry. Specially as you really cannot do much to prevent it.

I hope everyone was ok though aside from the loss of your bikes?

That is one of the biggest reasons I used to freak out when riding with my (now ex) girlfriend.

Is there any way to improve the safety of routes?

Where was this, I dont know where the schurveberg road is? Gauteng?

Edited by koukie

Jeez, so sad! One of the routes we frequent with the JMBC. Reason I joined a club was for the safety in numbers aspect. Seems like this is no longer the case. Glad you guys are alright though...

That's terrible news :( Glad you're all ok, but this is getting out of control. These criminals are attacking bigger and bigger groups. Soon we'll need to ride in our hundreds to avoid becoming victims.

Hopefully with that much stolen stuff the cops will be able to track these &*%^^$% down.

I think local bike stores should get together and hire an investigator to find out whats going on?

Surely they can get support between each other to pay for this. In the long run it will be beneficail for all of them!

I think local bike stores should get together and hire an investigator to find out whats going on?

Surely they can get support between each other to pay for this. In the long run it will be beneficail for all of them!

Why only the LBS?

I would be more than happy to donate money to some or other group that used it to make routes safer by policing them. I am sure 99% of cyclists would.

Based on that we could probably raise a decent bit of money to put to good use.

Unfortunately there is no practical way of policing some of these routes. The whole allure of MTB is the fact that it is done in secluded areas. This makes it very difficult to fence off or patrol the routes.

There has been talk of registering bikes to prevent the re sale, but there will still be unscrupolous people buying and selling stolen bikes. (Think cars, cell phones etc)

Any inspirational ideas?

I watched the Carte Balance insert on the Rolex gang last night on MNET, and was amazed at how much the private security guys (granted, they operate from Hillbrow which in my book is pretty bad ass..) managed to get done just be simply getting stuck in. They also traced their calls made from the stolen phone etc etc..

I'd be more than happy to contribute to a pool of funds to get these guys on the case and fight back..